Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Is it Worth Buying? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/6284-worth-buying.html)

Vipp 23rd May 2015 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 451044)
I think a lot of it has to do with cost and access to decent materials. I don't think AE generally produce their own masters, so instead buy a master created by another company and then release it.

I think AE may be releasing a box set of his films though if you want to wait. If not, Criterion has released Ivan's Childhood and Solaris and Kino have released Nostalghia.

I'm happy to wait mate, i think i have been wanting to watch Stalker for about 5 years now, a little longer won't hurt. AE released a box set of his films in 2011 but that seems to be OOP and quite expensive. Is there any way of me knowing when they plan to release the next set so i don;t miss out mate? a newsletter maybe? i will have a look at their website.

dustdevil 24th May 2015 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 450088)
I'm 99% certain the only option is to play the extended version.

The UK Steelbook contains 2 Blu discs - 1 disc is the same as the previous release and 1 disc is the extended cut. Discs are not very well labelled though.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th May 2015 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustdevil (Post 451091)
The UK Steelbook contains 2 Blu discs - 1 disc is the same as the previous release and 1 disc is the extended cut. Discs are not very well labelled though.

Aside from the packaging, that's the main difference between the Steelbook and Amaray releases: the Amaray only contains the disc with the extended cut.

Demoncrat 25th May 2015 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 450934)
I could use some advice from the locals, i have been wanting to watch a failm for YEARS called Stalker by Andrei Tarkovsky, but even the VHS has a nasty high price but i won;t pirate the movie as i think im going to really enjoy it and i want my first viewing to be as clear and crisp as i can get it.

here is my problem the film is so expensive -why did Artificial Eye not reprint more copies? does anyone know where i can get a cheap copy to watch?

artificial eye released a boxset of his in 2011 but it seems the folks on ebay have broken the set down and are selling each film from the set at crazy prices.

i need a bit of help, also does anyone think someone like Arrow would be interested in picking up this film? Stalker i mean?

Have you read Roadside Picnic btw? Tis the Stanisaw Lem novel that Stalker is based on.....;)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th May 2015 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 451048)
I'm happy to wait mate, i think i have been wanting to watch Stalker for about 5 years now, a little longer won't hurt. AE released a box set of his films in 2011 but that seems to be OOP and quite expensive. Is there any way of me knowing when they plan to release the next set so i don;t miss out mate? a newsletter maybe? i will have a look at their website.

There hasn't been any official announcement yet. I doubt the set will be limited when they do announce though.

Vipp 26th May 2015 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 451142)
Have you read Roadside Picnic btw? Tis the Stanisaw Lem novel that Stalker is based on.....;)

I haven;t mate, i will see if i can track that down, assuming it has been translated to English. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 451156)
There hasn't been any official announcement yet. I doubt the set will be limited when they do announce though.

I will grab a copy of it when it hits the stores, they don;t seem to have a newsletter or anything to show new releases, i just hope i don't forget and find it when it's released. Do you know if it;s just the dvd film on Blu-Ray or a new transfer?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 26th May 2015 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 451267)
I will grab a copy of it when it hits the stores, they don;t seem to have a newsletter or anything to show new releases, i just hope i don't forget and find it when it's released. Do you know if it;s just the dvd film on Blu-Ray or a new transfer?

No idea I'm afraid! The set and release of it is just rumoured at present, so nothing definitive to report at the moment.

Demoncrat 27th May 2015 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 451267)
I haven;t mate, i will see if i can track that down, assuming it has been translated to English. :)

It has, part of a scfi masterworks series etc...enjoy!!;)

Inspector Abberline 31st May 2015 04:06 PM

listen

1 Attachment(s)
Listen, you ****ers, you screwheads. Here is a man who would not take it anymore. A man who stood up against the scum, the *****, the dogs, the filth, the shit. Here is a man who wants to know is this release mutts nuts or not?

Attachment 165243

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st May 2015 07:18 PM

I think it's great Ron.

Ask Bizarre_Eye for his opinion as he hadn't seen it before he got the Network release.