Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Up and Coming Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/7372-up-coming-films.html)

SymbioticFunction 21st March 2024 09:55 PM

Really looking forward to both Alien Romulus and Beetlejuice Beetlejuice. :)

gag 21st March 2024 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 697109)
Really looking forward to both Alien Romulus and Beetlejuice Beetlejuice. :)

Tbh I think most ppl are looking forward to new Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, hopefully it's good, can't see it being as good as original but also cant see it being a stinker either.. We just have to wait and see.

gag 27th March 2024 06:15 PM

gag 27th March 2024 09:39 PM

Don mancini working on a new Chucky film.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...-chucky-movie/

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th March 2024 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 697303)

I haven't seen the 1991 film of the same name, so would be able to watch that with an open mind.

gag 3rd April 2024 08:42 PM

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th April 2024 08:54 AM

It looks like the production companies (Jagged Edge Productions and ITN Distribution) have found a strange niche, making cheap horror versions of children's stories.

They are responsible for The Curse of Humpty Dumpty (2021), The Legend of Jack and Jill (2021), Easter Bunny Massacre (2021), Easter Bunny Massacre: The Bloody Trail (2022), Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey (2023), Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey II (2024), a second sequel (Poohniverse: Monsters Assemble), Peter Pan's Neverland Nightmare (currently filming), the announced Pinocchio Unstrung, and this new take of the Bambi character.

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?companies=co0862075

They might be moderately entertaining, but I doubt they would objectively described as 'good films', and it's probably debatable whether they are good for the video market.

Susan Foreman 4th April 2024 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 697515)
It looks like the production companies (Jagged Edge Productions and ITN Distribution) have found a strange niche, making cheap horror versions of children's stories.

They are responsible for ... Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey II (2024)

They might be moderately entertaining, but I doubt they would objectively described as 'good films', and it's probably debatable whether they are good for the video marked.

Winnie The Pooh: Blood and Honey 2 Debuts With Perfect Rotten Tomatoes Score /CBR. Com

This was published / posted on March 26 (i.e just over a week ago)...

"Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey 2 seems to have impressed the critics.

The film is a direct sequel to Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey, and it continues the trend by turning more famous children's characters from the public domain into horror. The sequel's Rotten Tomatoes numbers just debuted, and Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey debuted with a perfect score of 100%. The sequel boasts only six reviews at the time of publishing, but all of them are encouraging, noting the improvement from the first installment

The first film currently holds an abysmal 3% rating from 62 reviews, which makes the sequel's score even more exciting. On top of that, the audience didn't seem to enjoy the first one too much, as it only holds a 50% rating. Things are different for Blood and Honey 2, which currently holds an 84% rating from the audience from more than 50 reviews, which is encouraging"

Just checked and it currently holds a 52% green splat Tomatometer rating (from 27 reviews) and a 81% popcorn audience score (from 500+ ratings)

But, for a short while at least, it was the 'Citizen Kane' of horror films !!

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th April 2024 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 697515)

They are responsible for The Curse of Humpty Dumpty (2021), The Legend of Jack and Jill (2021), Easter Bunny Massacre (2021), Easter Bunny Massacre: The Bloody Trail (2022), Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey (2023), Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey II (2024), a second sequel (Poohniverse: Monsters Assemble), Peter Pan's Neverland Nightmare (currently filming, the announced Pinocchio Unstrung, and this new take of the Bambi character.

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?companies=co0862075

They might be moderately entertaining, but I doubt they would objectively described as 'good films', and it's probably debatable whether they are good for the video marked.

I presume you meant 'video market'. If so why not?

I'd prefer to watch one of these than the latest sanitised supernatural PG-13 rated borefests that Hollywood seem to churn out every few months. The Nun 7 or whatever.

Gimme' Bambi:The Reckoning over The Exorcist (Audience) Deceiver any day.

Indie horror is where the upcoming talent most likely lies, as Terrifier and it's sequels prove. Hollywood needs to give these guys a bigger budget and see what results they get rather than the conveyor belt of unoriginality they are currently thrusting on movie fans.

Sorry, that became a bit of a rant, but the question still stands. How so?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th April 2024 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 697521)
I presume you meant 'video market'. If so why not?

I'd prefer to watch one of these than the latest sanitised supernatural PG-13 rated borefests that Hollywood seem to churn out every few months. The Nun 7 or whatever.

Gimme' Bambi:The Reckoning over The Exorcist (Audience) Deceiver any day.

Indie horror is where the upcoming talent most likely lies, as Terrifier and it's sequels prove. Hollywood needs to give these guys a bigger budget and see what results they get rather than the conveyor belt of unoriginality they are currently thrusting on movie fans.

Sorry, that became a bit of a rant, but the question still stands. How so?

Yes, I meant 'market 'and I have edited accordingly.

I am slightly split on whether these films are good for the home video market or not because I like that the companies are doing something new and unusual with the source material, but it's also annoying that they aren't doing sequels to those innovative films.

The concept is very different from the mainstream and, like you say, a welcome change to another entry in The Conjuring, Scream or The Exorcist franchises.

Additionally, the quality isn't apparently particularly high - although Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey is on my watchlist, I haven't yet seen one of the films. However, if they make people buy DVDs from HMV, Asda, or wherever else, then that can only be a good thing for the distributor and the economy.