Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Up and Coming Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/7372-up-coming-films.html)

iank 20th December 2016 07:24 AM

Moderately interested in Split, but... yeah.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th December 2016 08:25 AM

I'm afraid they lost my interest when, writing about Split, they said "Shyamalan proved with The Visit that he can still craft a compelling horror story".

J Harker 20th December 2016 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 514494)
I'm afraid they lost my interest when, writing about Split, they said "Shyamalan proved with The Visit that he can still craft a compelling horror story".

I'd argue that the story wasn't the problem with The Visit. It was the execution.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th December 2016 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 514497)
I'd argue that the story wasn't the problem with The Visit. It was the execution.

Hence my problem with the word "compelling". It was an interesting story, which had potential. However, when the 'surprise' ending is easy to guess a quarter of the way through and the characters are written in a way which is nothing short of grating, there is a problem with the writing.

As Shyamalan is also directing Split, the potential for the same issue (good story, poor execution) remains.

J Harker 20th December 2016 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 514498)
Hence my problem with the word "compelling". It was an interesting story, which had potential. However, when the 'surprise' ending is easy to guess a quarter of the way through and the characters are written in a way which is nothing short of grating, there is a problem with the writing.

As Shyamalan is also directing Split, the potential for the same issue (good story, poor execution) remains.

Take from this what you will but I didn't see the twist coming and I like to think I'm generally good at spotting these things. Possibly I was too distracted with the (most annoying in the history of cinema) kid rapping his way through the whole damn film like he thought he was in an 8 Mile remake. The sprog in Babadook everyone seems to hate has got nothing on this twat. Personally the twist was about the only redeeming thing the film has.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th December 2016 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 514499)
Take from this what you will but I didn't see the twist coming and I like to think I'm generally good at spotting these things. Possibly I was too distracted with the (most annoying in the history of cinema) kid rapping his way through the whole damn film like he thought he was in an 8 Mile remake. The sprog in Babadook everyone seems to hate has got nothing on this twat. Personally the twist was about the only redeeming thing the film has.

I wonder if the script described the boy as "precocious 13-year-old Tyler, a boy, obsessed with technology and rap, and prone to nails-on-the-blackboard levels of excruciating rapping. The audience will probably hate him and focus more on wishing him ill than any shortcomings in the editing and cinematography."

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th December 2016 10:23 AM

One or two on that list look interesting.

Resident Evil and Friday the 13th because i enjoy both series, same goes with Saw Legacy.

The Dark Tower? I mean how shit will it have to be for Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey to let it fail? It is potentially the film of 2017.

Alien Covenant could be amazing, we'll just have to see.

trebor8273 20th December 2016 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 514506)
One or two on that list look interesting.

Resident Evil and Friday the 13th because i enjoy both series, same goes with Saw Legacy.

The Dark Tower? I mean how shit will it have to be for Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey to let it fail? It is potentially the film of 2017.

Alien Covenant could be amazing, we'll just have to see.

i really think dark tower would of been better as a TV series in the vain of game of thrones

Susan Foreman 20th December 2016 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 514489)
Might be me but most of thsoe look poor.

Cynic!

What's wrong with sequels/prequels, remakes and reboots?

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th December 2016 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 514510)
Cynic!

What's wrong with sequels/prequels, remakes and reboots?

Exactly! I try and be optimistic about every new film or tv series. Then moan like hell when they are poor.