Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   What's your favourite anthology? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/1015-whats-your-favourite-anthology.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th October 2009 11:01 PM

Anthologies seem to be a popular topic just now.
I love THE TWILIGHT ZONE THE MOVIE,Spielberg's segment is it's only downfall.
It's a pity the tragic controversy surrounding this film,as I'd love to have seen another installment.Remember that old one with Burgess Meredith?

vincenzo 7th October 2009 11:09 PM

Does anyone remember Grim Prairie Tales?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th October 2009 11:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ain't seen this one Vince.
The nineties brought about some dire anthologies such as Campfire Tales.

vincenzo 7th October 2009 11:25 PM

GPT is no masterpiece but it's surprisingly enjoyable.

Vampix 9th October 2009 08:48 AM

I haven't seen it myself but Jeff Burr's anthology flick From a Whisper to a Scream is supposedly very good and pretty gruesome.

Rob Strange 16th October 2009 02:53 PM

I'm torn between Dead Of Night and Creepshow (voted for the latter). Both great, but I love "I want my CAKE!!!!" way too much.

If anyone is interested, there is a disturbing Asian horror anthology named Three Extremes (part Chinese, Japanese and Korean) which is well worth hunting down. Certainly the best anthology since the original Creepshow, I think.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 18th October 2009 11:02 AM

I see HMV has an exclusive R2 TWILIGHT ZONE THE MOVIE dvd.

Splatterdragon73 20th October 2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 20877)
As well as THE MONSTER CLUB & TALES THAT WITNESS MADNESS though they are hardly classics they have their fans.You've also forgot one of my favourite Italian anthologies (If they count here) BLACK SABBATH which is highly recommended.

As mentioned earlier the first tale featured in BS ('The Telephone') is pretty mundane but 'The Wurdalak' and 'A Drop Of Water' are brilliantly done. Great atmosphere in the former and the twisted expression on the ghost's face in the latter is quite chilling.

I like the last story in TMC with Stewart Whitman fighting for his life against a group of demonic villagers and TTWM wasn't bad either.

It's been a while since i've seen TFTC and TVOH but i've got MGM's double-bill DVD and look forward to revisiting both entries.
I'll have to grab the R2 version of FBTG too sooner rather than later.

Personally i enjoy Creepshow (especially 'Something To Tide You Over.'), The House That Dripped Blood (John Pertwee is superb in this!) and Dr.Terror's House Of Horrors with old pro Christopher Lee coming under attack by Michael Gough's disembodied hand!
Cracks me up everytime this segment!!

Also, what about unsung anthology After Midnight? Pretty good if i remember rightly.:happy:

Splatterdragon73 22nd October 2009 10:01 AM

I forgot to mention Screamtime earlier.

A dirt cheap production to be sure but i really enjoy this creepy compendium. Don't laugh!:happy:

vincenzo 22nd October 2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 45193)
The House That Dripped Blood (John Pertwee is superb in this!)

The role was intended for Vincent Price but contract problems forced him to decline. I thought Pertwee did a terrific job though.

Did you spot Christopher Lee reading Lord Of The Rings during his story?