Like Tree1024Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th October 2014, 07:50 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I haven't seen Dogs – how does it compare to Cujo?
I'm probably not the best person to ask as I've never been keen on Cujo. For me, it's one of King's weaker stories which makes for an even weaker film.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 4th October 2014, 08:08 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I'm probably not the best person to ask as I've never been keen on Cujo. For me, it's one of King's weaker stories which makes for an even weaker film.
As that's exactly how I feel, you are exactly the right person to ask!
Old 4th October 2014, 08:13 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
As that's exactly how I feel, you are exactly the right person to ask!
In that case, I thought Dogs was slightly better
Rondadoronron likes this.
Old 4th October 2014, 08:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I haven't seen Cujo for ages but I do remember he slobbers and drools a lot.
Old 4th October 2014, 08:35 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Thanks – I'll check it out.
Old 6th October 2014, 07:54 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Dogs of Hell (1982)

Dogs of Hell (AKA: Rottweiler) is about a pack of rottweilers who have been bred and trained to be vicious killers by the U.S. military, who then escape after the truck transporting them crashes outside of a small town. It is then left up to the town's sheriff and his deputies to see off the lethal canine threat whilst the townsfolk panic, run around, and become appetising snacks for the marauding rottweilers.

Obviously, the film-makers thought that on paper Dogs of hell wasn't entertaining or gimmicky enough, as they then decided that this film would make a good 3D experience - which can be seen in some of the shots where things are intentionally prodded, pushed, and thrown towards the camera lens. Unfortunately, whilst this may have won over some of the theatre-going fans of the time, it comes across as very forced and silly when watching at home, and doesn't really add much to what is essentially a very mediocre and stilted film.
Old 7th October 2014, 07:51 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Don't Open the Door! (1975)

As a follow up to Brownrigg's 'Don't Look in the Basement', 'Don't Open the Door' loses some of the scuzzy charm of its predecessor, yet the director's trademark off-beat menace still remains.

'Door' deals with Amanda, a young woman who witnessed her mother being murdered as a child who travels back home to look after her elderly sick grandmother in her home, wherein she is terrorised by a maniac who has secreted himself somewhere within the sprawling house. Amanda is subjected to increasingly more frequent perverse phone calls (Brownrigg missed an opportunity here in not pre-emptively (and quite aptly) naming his film 'Don't Answer the Phone' - itself of course being made five years later by Robert Hammer) and slowly begins to lose her grip on reality and her sanity.

The central role of Amanda is played to decent effect by Susan Bracken, and the old, empty house plays to the film's strengths by maintaining a creepy, unsettling vibe. Like 'Basement', 'Door' also has its assortment of odd supporting characters, most of which ooze sleaze from every pore, albeit not being as crazed this time around.

There is certainly a sense of (unintentional?) restraint at play here in some respects - or maybe that was just the impression I got - but 'Door' despite being a bit of a poor cousin to 'Basement' and predictable to a degree, is still plenty of stylized fun.
Old 8th October 2014, 07:39 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Drive-In Massacre (1977)

Despite the expectation of a little more of the red stuff, I had a pretty fun time with this film.

Drive-In Massacre can be summed up by its title alone, but it is also pertinent to point out that these drive-in killings are the random, wanton acts of a killer who prefers the sharp, cold steel of a sword in order to hack, slash, and decapitate his film-going victims.

The downsides are that even at a comparatively short 74 minutes the film often feels long-winded, plus there are some almost soap opera filler moments throughout. The police investigation also resorts to officers dressing up in drag at the drive-in hoping to catch the killer but instead providing nothing more than some random comic relief.

Overall, whilst nothing amazing, Drive-In Massacre is a mildly entertaining shlock-fest which would have no doubt been even more fun if watched at a drive-in theatre on release.
Old 9th October 2014, 06:56 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Encounter with the Unknown (1973)

Encounter with the Unknown is a horror anthology trio of supernatural tales narrated by The Twilight Zone's Rod Serling.

Unfortunately, the presence of Serling is where the Twilight Zone similarities end, as the stories themselves lean towards the dull and tepid side, often feeling more than a little forced in the suspense department too.

The wrapping up finale segment is also quite tiresome in as much as it summarises all three stories again; I suppose in case the film's audience fell asleep throughout and missed certain plot points, which is unfortunately quite probable.
Old 9th October 2014, 08:30 PM
Cult Addict

B_E have you not considered sticking pins in your eyes rather than watch all these films...just as painful but shorter lasting.

These reviews do however bring up the point that the 70s and 80s weren't the golden age people believe them to be. There is so much shit out there as with today's direct to dvd market, it is no wonder that often mediocre films are given a lofty status. I will refrain from naming them for fear of offending pretty much everyone on the forum.

Like this? Share it using the links below!