All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1024Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th October 2014, 03:51 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Fiend (1980)

Don Dohler's Fiend is a little step down in the effects department in comparison to his prior film The Alien Factor, which exhibited a veritable buffet of cheesy '80s visual treats and of which enhanced the enjoyment factor of the film considerably.

Fiend is more grounded in its effects, in as much as you get some glowing red aura cropping up here and there as well as some minor prosthetic make-up. The film instead is a more sinister, mysterious tale involving corpse re-animation by some kind of energy based entity which requires life force to survive. Now in its re-animated body, the entity takes up residence in a small town suburb teaching violin as its austere Orson Welles-esque host used to do whilst taking frequent breaks in order to drain the local town's people of their life essence by throttling them.

As a Dohler film, you pretty much know what you're going to get going into it, and as minimal budget '80s schlockfests go, you can certainly do a lot worse than this.
Old 20th October 2014, 06:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Fiend (1980)

Don Dohler's Fiend is a little step down in the effects department in comparison to his prior film The Alien Factor, which exhibited a veritable buffet of cheesy '80s visual treats and of which enhanced the enjoyment factor of the film considerably.

Fiend is more grounded in its effects, in as much as you get some glowing red aura cropping up here and there as well as some minor prosthetic make-up. The film instead is a more sinister, mysterious tale involving corpse re-animation by some kind of energy based entity which requires life force to survive. Now in its re-animated body, the entity takes up residence in a small town suburb teaching violin as its austere Orson Welles-esque host used to do whilst taking frequent breaks in order to drain the local town's people of their life essence by throttling them.

As a Dohler film, you pretty much know what you're going to get going into it, and as minimal budget '80s schlockfests go, you can certainly do a lot worse than this.

Ive just bought this film on your say so,as a consumer would I be in my rights to attack you with a soup ladle if the film is not up to,lets say Al Adamson standard,Im willing to negotiate and may except Larry Buchanan before I dispense my consumer style soup bashin.
Old 20th October 2014, 07:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Fiend (1980)

Both this and alien factor turned up for me today. Not heard of the films or the director so will be interesting to see what they are like.
Old 20th October 2014, 07:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Both this and alien factor turned up for me today. Not heard of the films or the director so will be interesting to see what they are like.
What made you buy them then Trebor?
Old 20th October 2014, 07:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
What made you buy them then Trebor?
Well I should of said I had not heard of them until the review of alien factor on here and that peaked my interest and it was cheaper for the double set than getting factor bt itself.
Old 20th October 2014, 08:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Well I should of said I had not heard of them until the review of alien factor on here and that peaked my interest and it was cheaper for the double set than getting factor bt itself.

Just goes to show how chat and reviews on here influences people's purchases. Yourself included Trebor. You're coming up with some fine review posts.
Old 20th October 2014, 08:55 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondadoronron View Post

Ive just bought this film on your say so,as a consumer would I be in my rights to attack you with a soup ladle if the film is not up to,lets say Al Adamson standard,Im willing to negotiate and may except Larry Buchanan before I dispense my consumer style soup bashin.
I can assure you that they will certainly meet (and exceed) Al Adamson's standard... I am confident that I am safe from a ladeling

Quote:
I hope you enjoy them, trebor.

Try not to blame me too much if you don't though
Old 20th October 2014, 09:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I hope you enjoy them, trebor.

Try not to blame me too much if you don't though

I recommend tar and feathers and a naked horse ride through the streets of Coventry, Godiva style, Trebor.
Rondadoronron likes this.
Old 20th October 2014, 09:01 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I recommend tar and feathers and a naked horse ride through the streets of Coventry, Godiva style, Trebor.
Sounds sexy.
Rondadoronron likes this.
Old 20th October 2014, 09:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Sounds sexy.
Not with a soup ladle inserted it aint BIG EYE...........

Like this? Share it using the links below!