LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st October 2014, 01:52 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Tell me about it.

I'm in the same situation with Beast in the Cellar.
I was lucky enough to pick that up in The Tigon Collection coffin set from Anchor Bay.

Old 21st October 2014, 02:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I was lucky enough to pick that up in The Tigon Collection coffin set from Anchor Bay.

I wish i had that. It would look nice next to my Warren coffin.

I have the films except Beast individually.

Happily the version of Blood on Satan's Claw i bought had the disc from this set rather than the correct version so i got all the extras including The League's excellent commentary.
Old 21st October 2014, 03:11 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
The Robert Hartford-Davis film?

Unfortunately I can't comment as I haven't seen it!
Quote:

Go and buy the Odeon disc. I appreciate it's a blind buy but you wouldn't regret it. It's basically MTDS 's life story.
UPDATE: I've just added it to my Love Film rental list.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 22nd October 2014, 10:27 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Frankenstein Island (1981)

The well and oft trodden Frankenstein tale is given a twist and is then mashed together with healthy dollops of Island of Lost Souls to create what is the skeleton of Jerry Warren’s Frankenstein Island.

The film tells the tale of a party of hot air balloonists (and a dog) who crash land on a remote island that happens to be the home of a direct descendant of Dr. Frankenstein. The island is also inhabited by a selection of mutants, monsters, zombies, and scantily clad Amazonian women (who we later learn are actually aliens).

With a premise such as this you wouldn't expect the film to be as dull and dire as it is… The low budget is partly to blame, however even though the story had potential in the realms of whimsical cheese the execution was so poor in as much as it is let down on every conceivable side by the direction, acting, senseless plot, and special effects. I’m all for artistic expression but it seems as if the writers got high and shoe-horned every conceivable device that the miniscule budget would allow (and a lot that wouldn't) into the script, meaning that the end result is nothing more than a bloated but at the same time dreary mess of boredom and nonsense.

Ron would love it.
Old 22nd October 2014, 05:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Frankenstein Island (1981)

The well and oft trodden Frankenstein tale is given a twist and is then mashed together with healthy dollops of Island of Lost Souls to create what is the skeleton of Jerry Warren’s Frankenstein Island.

The film tells the tale of a party of hot air balloonists (and a dog) who crash land on a remote island that happens to be the home of a direct descendant of Dr. Frankenstein. The island is also inhabited by a selection of mutants, monsters, zombies, and scantily clad Amazonian women (who we later learn are actually aliens).

With a premise such as this you wouldn't expect the film to be as dull and dire as it is… The low budget is partly to blame, however even though the story had potential in the realms of whimsical cheese the execution was so poor in as much as it is let down on every conceivable side by the direction, acting, senseless plot, and special effects. I’m all for artistic expression but it seems as if the writers got high and shoe-horned every conceivable device that the miniscule budget would allow (and a lot that wouldn't) into the script, meaning that the end result is nothing more than a bloated but at the same time dreary mess of boredom and nonsense.

Ron would love it.
Kerching SOLD
Old 23rd October 2014, 11:09 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Frozen Scream (1975)

Frank Roach's Frozen Scream feels like the bastard child of many a horror film, in as much as you not only get the impression of it feeling a little cobbled together from various independently sourced ideas, but also the recurring feeling that you've seen a lot of this before somewhere... most of it having been executed a lot better too.

However, it's hard to completely dislike a film revolving around mad scientists kidnapping and experimenting on the general public with a goal to turn them all into 'frozen' immortal zombies… and whilst there are certainly a few interesting scenes dotted throughout, Frozen Scream doesn't quite live up to its premise unfortunately.

The main let down here is the lack of a decent, and above all engrossing script, resulting in a haphazard, plodding pace; itself glacial at times - which is strangely fitting when considering the film's title. The performances are also excruciatingly painful all around and the dialogue does little to help, although neither does the abundance of stilted and monotone delivery of the lines from the cast - and we're not talking about the zombies here either. The frequent narration (which is mainly used as a device to build bland backstory) even talks over the on-screen dialogue at times to the extent that it leaves you wondering whether the audio syncing has been done correctly post production, or whether this was intentional. Neither would surprise me.

Overall, what could have been a chilling, suspenseful little film feels like a missed opportunity riddled with poor pacing and incoherent plotting issues and certainly won't be something I'll be returning to anytime soon.
Old 23rd October 2014, 11:24 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Frozen Scream (1975)

Overall, what could have been a chilling, suspenseful little film feels like a missed opportunity riddled with poor pacing and incoherent plotting issues and certainly won't be something I'll be returning to anytime soon.
Take that Frozen Scream!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2624181886bbfc75874cc89e0be27f37.jpg (61.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 23rd October 2014, 11:27 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Take that Frozen Scream!!!
I quite like the look of Frozen Scream from that picture though...
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 23rd October 2014, 11:30 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I quite like the look of Frozen Scream from that picture though...
Sadly probably not from the film.

I was looking for a knockout punch, but decided added cleavage was the way to go when this pic showed up in the search.
Old 23rd October 2014, 11:42 AM
Cult Addict

Is it any surprise that I love Frozen Scream?

Like this? Share it using the links below!