Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th October 2017 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 553256)
Tonight's viewing shall be Evil Ed.

I also watched that earlier on. :brainfood:

Justin101 6th October 2017 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 553265)
I only got it a few months ago and it was a choice between 3: this, unhinged or hellgate

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

I'm going to watch Jess Franco's The Awful Dr Orlof!

bleakshaun 6th October 2017 08:04 PM

The Pit and the Pendulum
Set during the Spanish Inquisition, the story is about a baker and his who are both tortured by Torquemada. It's up to the baker to save his wife from burning for witchcraft.
It's a very enjoyable watch. Some fantastic sets and great acting from Jeffrey Combes, Lance Henrikson and a nice cameo from Oliver Reed. However the performance of our hero is awful, but luckily enough it's ignorable.co.
7/10

Inspector Abberline 6th October 2017 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 553264)
I've never seen it! :behindsofa:

:jaws:

:pumpkin:
Well I don't expect you to have seen everything Nos...don't be so hard on yourself...

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th October 2017 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 553280)
:pumpkin:
Well I don't expect you to have seen everything Nos...don't be so hard on yourself...

That's a relief, but I like to try and watch as much as possible, regardless of origin, genre or reputation.

I watched a couple of Arrow DVDs this evening:

THE NEIGHBOUR – from the director of The Collector and The Collection comes this film about a brother and sister who seem to make their living from ripping off cars and dealing drugs in the middle of Whogivesa****sville in rural Mississippi. Their neighbour, the titular weirdo, seems harmless but strange, but things soon take a turn for the sinister and, thankfully, bloody and violent. I haven't seen The Collector since it was in the cinema and haven't seen The Collection at all, but I quite enjoyed this and it makes me want to revisit/visit the previously mentioned films.

WE ARE THE FLESH – is it a disturbing look into the possibilities of life in a dystopian future or an excuse to cram a lot of unsimulated sexual activity into a film in the name of art? I'm not exactly sure, but this Mexican oddity which is a little like what happen if Tinto Brass, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Pier Paolo Pasolini and Leos Carax come together over coffee and decided to make a movie about siblings in a womblike cavern with a strange man. Whatever the merits, or otherwise, of the sexual content, it's certainly a compelling watch and a film I never felt like turning off or doing something else whilst it was playing. I'm not sure I'm going to watch it again in the next week, but it's something I will watch again in the next couple of years.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th October 2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 553265)
I only got it a few months ago and it was a choice between 3: this, unhinged or hellgate

Hellgate is ****ing shite! And i'm being kind when i say that.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th October 2017 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
October 5th

Quatermass and the Pit (1967)

Third and final Hammer take on Nigel Kneale's classic Quatermass stories this time starring Andrew Keir as Professor Quatermass. Set mainly in a London underground tube station it tells about the discovery of an alien craft and the insect race that came in it which influenced human evolution.

Gripping and effective for the most, it's only when the climax approaches that things start to unravel and the whole thing feels like Web of Fear era Doctor Who meets The Devil Rides out.

bleakshaun 7th October 2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 553311)
Hellgate is ****ing shite! And i'm being kind when i say that.

Probably is, but £1.99......ah **** it

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th October 2017 02:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
October 6th

Dracula (1973)

A film that seemed to be a straight up remake of Hammer's 58 classic, so much so as it felt like a parody. Jack Palance is so miscast as the legendary count that words fail me, in fact the whole film is a mess in terms of casting... and also in the love story aspect.

Why does Dracula, who is desperate to find his Mina, the woman whose portrait hangs on his wall, his true love... why does he go to London and basically kill her? It really didn't make any sense. Coppola did the romance so much better.

Do you all remember the Inspector's review of the same film a couple of days ago? Well everything he said is right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 553160)
Dracula (1974) ....:bat:

I feel im gonna be in the minority with this one and to be honest I don't care,but I found Dan Curtis's adaptation of the Dracula story to be tepid,boring and ludicrously miscast.What genius thought that Jack Palance could pull this off must of been of his nucking futs,his Bronsonesque squinting and gurning made him look ridicoulous in the role of the Count.Palance is'nt exautly bad just wrong.The same goes for Dr. Van Helsing played by Nigel Davenport,I felt like he was acting in another film and had not been told and Simon Ward completes this threesome of the absurd,just a terrible actor. I found nothing in this film interesting,the direction seemed lacklustre and badly paced.Thank god someone put Palance out of his misery at the end of the film,I just wished I fell asleep like I normally do....

Halloween Resurrection (2002)

Set three years after the events of Halloween H20. Laurie Strode is in a psychiatric hospital with Michael Myers still on the loose. Although seen as a way to write out Jamie Lee Curtis from the rest of the film and any upcoming movies this opening fifteen minutes is actually the best part of Resurrection. Curtis does well with her few scenes and the final pay off is actually quite touching. The same cannot be said for the rest of the film as events move to Haddonfield, Illinois, and we focus on a group of college students who are to star in an online reality show where they spend the night in Michael Myers childhood home. Unfortunately for them it is the night he comes home.

And so this is where it all begins to unravel and we soon realize this isn't really a Halloween / Michael Myers film after all but a bog standard slasher movie attempting to draw viewers in by using the craze of reality tv as a selling point. Myers adds nothing to proceedings and at times it feels like the Busta Rhymes show. Yes Busta Rhymes the rap star, but from this evidence definitely not Busta Rhymes the actor. Perhaps i'm doing him a disservice here as the script does Rhymes no favours whatsoever, and it's certainly not a prejudice against US rap singers as i thought LL Cool J came over pretty decent in previous film Halloween H20. The rest of the cast, including soon to be Starbuck Katee Sackhoff, Sean Patrick Thomas, Thomas Ian Nicholas and Tyra Banks, unfortunately fair no better although Sackhoff's decapitated head bouncing down the stairs adds amusement value.

Another annoying factor is Resurrection completely ignores anything that happened in films 4,5, and 6, thus effectively making them non-canon. It's difficult to say why producer Moustapha Akkad would do this as they were all his films as well and each one of them a far better proposition than this extremely disappointing effort.

Inspector Abberline 7th October 2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 553363)
October 6th

Dracula (1973)

A film that seemed to be a straight up remake of Hammer's 58 classic, so much so as it felt like a parody. Jack Palance is so miscast as the legendary count that words fail me, in fact the whole film is a mess in terms of casting... and also in the love story aspect.

Why does Dracula, who is desperate to find his Mina, the woman whose portrait hangs on his wall, his true love... why does he go to London and basically kill her? It really didn't make any sense. Coppola did the romance so much better.

Do you all remember the Inspector's review of the same film a couple of days ago? Well everything he said is right.

Halloween Resurrection (2002)

Set three years after the events of Halloween H20. Laurie Strode is in a psychiatric hospital with Michael Myers still on the loose. Although seen as a way to write out Jamie Lee Curtis from the rest of the film and any upcoming movies this opening fifteen minutes is actually the best part of Resurrection. Curtis does well with her few scenes and the final pay off is actually quite touching. The same cannot be said for the rest of the film as events move to Haddonfield, Illinois, and we focus on a group of college students who are to star in an online reality show where they spend the night in Michael Myers childhood home. Unfortunately for them it is the night he comes home.

And so this is where it all begins to unravel and we soon realize this isn't really a Halloween / Michael Myers film after all but a bog standard slasher movie attempting to draw viewers in by using the craze of reality tv as a selling point. Myers adds nothing to proceedings and at times it feels like the Busta Rhymes show. Yes Busta Rhymes the rap star, but from this evidence definitely not Busta Rhymes the actor. Perhaps i'm doing him a disservice here as the script does Rhymes no favours whatsoever, and it's certainly not a prejudice against US rap singers as i thought LL Cool J came over pretty decent in previous film Halloween H20. The rest of the cast, including soon to be Starbuck Katee Sackhoff, Sean Patrick Thomas, Thomas Ian Nicholas and Tyra Banks, unfortunately fair no better although Sackhoff's decapitated head bouncing down the stairs adds amusement value.

Another annoying factor is Resurrection completely ignores anything that happened in films 4,5, and 6, thus effectively making them non-canon. It's difficult to say why producer Moustapha Akkad would do this as they were all his films as well and each one of them a far better proposition than this extremely disappointing effort.

Im so glad you agree Dem (and also treb)...it seems to be held in high regard in some quarters but fails horribly...Im a big Dan Curtis fan so was very disappointed to say the least..:coffin: