Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd October 2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 589672)
Tonight's viewing...

https://www.popoptiq.com/wp-content/...ed-death-1.jpg

Believe it or not I'd never seen this one before :lol: I know, ban me :lol:

A lot less camp than the other Corman/Price films and I really quite liked it :)

No idea what it is your watching as the image doesn't show for me.

nosferatu42 3rd October 2018 08:41 PM

Twas "Masque of the red death" Dem.

Did you watch the "Nightbreed" director's cut or normal version Treb?

I always liked Nightbreed anyway but felt the DC improved the film when i watched it.:pop2:

trebor8273 3rd October 2018 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 589684)
Twas "Masque of the red death" Dem.

Did you watch the "Nightbreed" director's cut or normal version Treb?

I always liked Nightbreed anyway but felt the DC improved the film when i watched it.:pop2:

Directors cut, it's my preferred version because as you say it improves the film. Still can't believe after all this time no one has picked up for the UK.

Justin101 3rd October 2018 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 589678)
No idea what it is your watching as the image doesn't show for me.

Yep, twas Masque!
"There is no other God! Satan killed him!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaUusanRC-M

Justin101 3rd October 2018 09:12 PM

Also, the second Jane Asher film I've seen this week, because I watched Deep End as well :D

Gothmogxx 3rd October 2018 09:27 PM

The Mummy's Tomb 1942

It was passable anyway.

This is a bit of a downfall from the previous film. Still better than the 1932 one but all the same its not that great either.

It really is just a carbon copy of The Mummy's Hand at its core however. Steven and Babe are back: I didn't know that in advance so I was originally happy, but I was very disappointed at the way their characters are handled
SPOILER:
Both are barely in it and Steven gets killed in such a pathetic way whilst meanwhile, Babe has lost all of the humour from last time. Yes they are 30 years older but that's not an excuse
. The other characters are so-so. Again: this is just a weaker version of what was seen before, to the point where even the priest tries to pull off the exact same plan as last time.

Some positives though. It has a Universal feel and the ingredients are there: angry torch wielding villagers, the films monster walking in a cemetery at night, Lon Chaney Jr... But its not enough to really save the film. I don't have an issue with sequels referencing the past so long as its done right. If it can be its own film in the process its no issue but here, we get needlessly long flashbacks of entire sequences from Mummy's Hand right at the start (not good when the overall film is only 61 minutes in length) and they simply will not stop talking about the events from before, which just kept reminding me of how much stronger that film was.

I'm not saying this is bad exactly, it certainly passed the time, didn't really bore me and it was at least quick. Its average, which is only really an issue when its following up from something much better.

4/10

Gothmogxx 3rd October 2018 09:34 PM

^^^^ Oh and it copies the ending from before as well:
SPOILER:
fire didn't kill Kharis last time so why should I believe it killed him this time? Kind of like igniting Michael Myers in flames in Halloween 2 (which WAS supposed to end the franchise) and then expecting me to believe bullets could somehow take him out in Part 4 after everything he's already been through. Still, I look forward to the next 3 films in the franchise.

Demoncrat 3rd October 2018 10:44 PM

The Great Ecstasy Of Robert Carmichael (2006, Thomas Clay)

The sullen teenage cello player. Not your standard 'protagonist' .... but then this isn't just some coming of age film. A life changing chain of events are set in motion for a trio of 'schoolfriends' by the return of an errant cousin (Danny Dyer). Yeah, my heart sank as well, but .... ;):scared::behindsofa:

There is truly beauty in terror. Why else do I sit really closely to the TV when I watch Suspiria??.
Recommended. 3rd time I've watched this. Think Cooper, nae Welsh :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd October 2018 10:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Picked up this fake candle thingy from B&M today.

£2.69. Quite effective i think.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 4th October 2018 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 589712)
Picked up this fake candle thingy from B&M today.

£2.69. Quite effective i think.

:thumb: