Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th October 2018 10:04 PM

I didn't like Satan's Blade much first time round. Something drew me back though and i rather liked it on second viewing.

The Slayer is as b_e says very slow to begin with but does improve. You'll all think me a loony for saying this but i preferred it on VIPCO's dvd (decent print but showing a fair bit of damage) to Arrow's remastered beautiful looking blu/dvd. Those scratches added to the films air of weirdness. If i was to get rid of one version of the film it would be the bluray. :lol:

The Mutilator is okay.

If i were you, bleakshaun i'd go for Blood Rage. That was brilliant. :pop2:

MrBarlow 5th October 2018 11:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The House Of Lost Souls 1989.

A group of teens arrive at a run down hotel and slowly being killed off.

This is a T.V made movie by Umberto Lenzi, part of the house of doom series, it is entertaining in some bits like the back story to the weird looking owner who is a bit like Norman Bates but without mother. Downside for me was the deaths, OK made for TV and Lenzi must have been told to tone down the gore a bit which is mild than what we are use to from the director. Still worth a gander. 6 out of 10.

MrBarlow 6th October 2018 01:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Entity 1982.

Single mother of three Carla Moran is sexually assaulted multiple times by a ghost.

Based on the true story from the early 70s of one woman's traumatic experiences of a haunting and trying to seek help and a chance meeting of two paranormal investigators that became one of the unexplained phenomenas.

From the book by Frank DeFilitta accounts his involvement and the life of Carla, Barbara Hershey's performance in this is brilliant as the troubled woman who gets no help from doctor Sneiderman played by Ron Silver, Charles Bernstein score for this film makes it more eerie.

When the real victim of the movie moved, what haunted her went with her but stopped after a period of time, journalists wanted interviews but none were given. A lot of stories began to surface about whether the attacks were real and past traumatic incidents occurred and she caused the haunt by seances and Ouija boards.
After 30+ years this movie is still creepy. 8 out of 10.

MrBarlow 6th October 2018 04:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Sentinel 1977.

A model moves into a building, on the top floor is a blind priest and is told they are the only occupants, where do the other tenants come from.

From Director Michael Winner and Author Jeffrey Konvitz comes this dark gothic creepy style movie with a good star cast, from Chris Sarandon, Eli Wallach, Ava Gardner, Burgess Meredith Christopher Walken, Beverly D'Angelo. The film does start off slow like a small thriller type but does pick up the pace when it's a race to fight good vs evil. This isn't a edge of your seat nail biting, I thought it be like a ghost story but has a added plot twist, there is a cameo appearance from John Carradine and Tom Berrenger. Worth a watch 8 out of 10

Paul Zombie 6th October 2018 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The House on Sorority Row.

A bunch of sorority sisters decide to throw one last party before they graduate but fall foul of the deranged house mother Mrs slater, which leads to a prank that backfires horrifically.

One of my favorites of the slasher horror films that followed in the tradition of Halloween and Black Christmas. this is a film that has quite a creepy vibe with clowns and a musical box, and is very well written for these type of films with various plot twists. Not particulary gruesome, but still provides some shocking moments, especially in the scene in the toilet.

The acting is above average as well, and includes your usual good but boring girl and the stereotypical slut who soon gets killed off. :lol:
and a nice soundtrack too that put me in mind of The Amityville Horror.

One amusing part in the film is the group who are hired for the party, with the lead singer chap reminding me of Jason Donovan from Neighbours with his blond mullet. :laugh:
80.5 out of 100.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th October 2018 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 589910)
If i were you, bleakshaun i'd go for Blood Rage. That was brilliant. :pop2:

Blood Rage is a great little slasher, so I second Dem's rec on this one.

It's based at Thanksgiving though so maybe one for later in the year (not that it really matters I suppose).

bleakshaun 6th October 2018 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 589952)
Blood Rage is a great little slasher, so I second Dem's rec on this one.

It's based at Thanksgiving though so maybe one for later in the year (not that it really matters I suppose).

I wish I could, but don't have it......yet.
So far it's looking like Satan's Blade, asked a couple of colleagues who ain't horror fans, and they all said Satan's Blade.
There's still time.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th October 2018 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 589954)
I wish I could, but don't have it......yet.
So far it's looking like Satan's Blade, asked a couple of colleagues who ain't horror fans, and they all said Satan's Blade.
There's still time.

Non-horror fans recommended Satan's Blade?

How have they even heard of it never mind seen it?

bleakshaun 6th October 2018 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 589955)
Non-horror fans recommended Satan's Blade?

How have they even heard of it never mind seen it?

I gave them the titles and they based their decision solely on that.
I've decided on Satan's Blade. If it is bad, it's fine.

MrBarlow 6th October 2018 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fright Night 1985.

Teen Charley Brewster is convinced his neighbour is a Vampire, his friend Ed and girlfriend Amy don't believe him. He enlists the help of TV and film actor Peter Vincent for help.

This starts of as a homage to some cheesey B movies and gets better as it goes on, with a small comedy blended in with good gore and special effects that look realistic than other 80s movies.

Chris Sarandon gives out such a great performance as the Vampire, he is seem as a good guy but with a very bad dark side that does show in the film. Roddy McDowell stars as the greatest Vampire Hunter actor Peter Vincent, in his films he sees himself as a bad ass but faced with a real vampire he is a complete wuss. Jonathan Stark stars as Billy the protector who's demise was great, Stephen Geoffreys as the best friend Ed who goes to the dark side and his transformation from wolf back to human seems to get some sympathy and Amanda Bears as the cutie girl Amy who is seduced well by Jerry. The film does have great background music provided by Brad Fiedel who composed the music for The Terminator.