Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Frankie Teardrop 20th October 2020 06:05 PM

RABID – The Soskia twins’ version. I try not to make too many comparisons when it comes to adaptions and remakes, but this is a pretty good stab at updating what was for Cronenberg a minor work (in my opinion). In some ways this film is more typical of the current state of B horror than perhaps the original ‘Rabid’ was during its own day – it doesn’t have anything like Cronenberg’s chilly atmosphere of detachment, although interestingly there’s a real strand of spitefulness that runs through most of its characters. Another thing that stands out is the Soskias’ well-established body-mod preoccupation, which is obviously in the right place if we’re talking Cronenberg territory. Basing it around the goings-on in a fashion house was a good move, and perhaps in some ways the ‘hidden text’ here is ‘Ms 45’, given that the Soskia’s version tilts towards ideas about gender and social oppression (sort of, but don’t worry, there are more special effects and people dying horribly than in your average sociology lecture). There are also lots of stylised nods to other Cronenberg movies, from ‘Shivers’ to ‘Dead Ringers’, and some nice weird bits that seem quite random; even William Burroughs pops up to remind us that before Cronenberg came Dr Benway. Fans of physical violence won’t feel hard done by, but maybe the Soskias might have played up the graft-gone-wrong angle a little more, as some of that ripe grotesquery feels a little restrained, at least until the nihilistic conclusion, which is enlivened by some nice biomorphic horror. It doesn’t drag at all, but still ‘Rabid’ could’ve done with being less expansive in places, and the interplay between the parallel narratives of the rabies epidemic and the central character’s ‘awakening’ is a bit clunkily handled. But overall I found ‘Rabid’ entertaining and interesting and adequately gratuitous, and another step towards the great movie I often think the Sokias are going to make.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th October 2020 06:06 PM

@Justin - Glad you liked it.

I picked Mistress of Evil up for a fiver on it's day of release from Morrisons. I decided to save it until Christmas.

Good job as there will be a dearth of blockbuster style films to watch this Christmas time.

For the record, i really liked Maleficent. It goes flat around the sixty minute mark for fifteen minutes or so but soon picks up...basically when Angelina isn't in it. When she is in it i can't take my eyes off her.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th October 2020 06:14 PM

October 19th

1 Attachment(s)
Dead of Night (1945)

You'll be playing our games
With your bodies in flames
When delirious fun
Has seriously begun
We are the dead of night.

A classic British portmanteau chiller. Contrary to most people i preferred The Haunted Mirror to The Ventriloquist's Dummy but perhaps that's because i watched Shonteff's Devil Doll the night before. Where the film really succeeds is in the wrap around story which is the best i think i've ever seen. Very creepy.

bleakshaun 20th October 2020 07:28 PM

Crimson Peak

An aspiring writer moves to england with her husband and his sister following the death of her father. When she arrives she sees visions of ghosts and must uncover the truth.
It's been 5 years exactly since I saw this at the cinema (what are the chances). And it still sticks as a great horror, while not Del Toro's finest film it definitely for me is right up there.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...cal_poster.jpg

Demoncrat 20th October 2020 07:32 PM

When it starts snowing .....

Rewatch methinks!

Justin101 20th October 2020 07:35 PM

I haven't seen it since the cinema either, I really enjoyed it.
One scene though, face smashed into a sink :nono:

bleakshaun 20th October 2020 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 638289)
I haven't seen it since the cinema either, I really enjoyed it.
One scene though, face smashed into a sink :nono:

my mate was cringing at that bit

Demoncrat 20th October 2020 09:55 PM

Still nae as nasty as the bit in The Devil's Backbone for all that ... ;)

MrBarlow 20th October 2020 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maximum Overdrive. 1986.

A comet passes Earth and machines come to live and become homicidal, a band of people try to survive at a rest stop service area.

Written and directed by Stephen king in his debut directorial of man against machines in the form of Lorry's, vending machines, steam roller and a lawnmower, yet cars seem to be exempt for some reason, where would you see a ATM machine calling Mr King a A-hole. Even with the imagination of Stephen King, this tends to be a good comedy horror, even though I was Begging for Yeardly Smith's character to met her demise as after 5 minutes she became annoying. Emilio Estevez leads the band of survivors to turn on the machines and fight back with a small arsenal of weapons in the cafe basement, fun entertainment with the soundtrack by AC/DC that passes time.

Attachment 228756

Nostalgic 21st October 2020 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 638285)
Crimson Peak

An aspiring writer moves to england with her husband and his sister following the death of her father. When she arrives she sees visions of ghosts and must uncover the truth.
It's been 5 years exactly since I saw this at the cinema (what are the chances). And it still sticks as a great horror, while not Del Toro's finest film it definitely for me is right up there.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...cal_poster.jpg

Totally agree, a modern film truly in the style of The Innocents or The Uninvited. Amazing stuff, very re-watchable.

Haven't managed much horror this season but currently watching And Then There Were None (1945), solid whodunnit, folk summoned to an island, thunder, lightning.....dinner, ......and murder!

Great old time movie!