Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

MrBarlow 30th September 2021 11:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Vampire Lovers. 1970.

A seductive young member of the Karnstein family targets the beautiful and rich in 18th Century Germany.

They don't make films like these anymore and when they do it's generally a screw up, We have Ingrid Pitt in a dual role of Marcilla/Carmilla as the young seductress vampire who does take her kit of just a downer part of it was in the dark but does have another nice bath scene with her being naked. George Cole as the next target of the vampire and his daughter Madeline Smith and governess Kate O'Mara. Peter Cushing stars as the first family victim and still drives the stake through the heart.

Hammer Horror movies have always been entertaining with the Dracula and Vampire genre and still create a dark atmospheric scenery in the Karnstein estate shrouded with plenty gothic style that we love from the Hammer studio.

Attachment 236597

Next to watch Sleepaway Camp

MrBarlow 1st October 2021 01:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sleepaway Camp. 1983.

Traumatized at seeing her parents death, shy Angela who lives with her aunt and cousin is sent away to a summer camp where people seem to die in violent accidents.

We had, Madman, Friday 13th, The Burning and then this little gem, so glad I never went to any summer camps otherwise I would make sure nobody slept with these tales of horror :lol: Every good slasher horror does come with a good twist at the end but this has one twist that can be unforgettable, even I was like WTF the first time I watched it.

The acting is...well it was the 80s so that can be excused, Felissa Rose plays a good part as Angela who was scarred by a accident and is very closed in within herself, her aunt played by Desiree Gould, I have always found her to be annoying and creepy at the same time. The killings are done decently even with the kitchen cook's burning skin looked realistic kudos for the make up dept for that.

Attachment 236599

Might watch Vampire Circus next.

MrBarlow 1st October 2021 03:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Vampire Circus. 1972.

The town of Stetl run by a count who the townspeople believe to be a vampire and kill him. Years later as the town is stunned by a plague, a circus comes and soon the children begin to disappear and they believe the circus is involved.

This is one of the lesser talked about Vampire films from Hammer yet still needs to be watched, the acting in it is brilliant from Adrienne Cori as the circus troupe show lady, David Prowse as the strong man and Thorley Waters as the town's Master and of course Lana Ward as one of the troupe's vampire and Anthony Higgins.

It may be a bit cheesy towards the end with the fight and laughable but from the start it does have it's suspenseful moments and perfect setting for a gothic type horror set in early 19th Century and fare share of blood going about.

Attachment 236600

that's it for today, have a great day all

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st October 2021 03:47 PM

October 1st - In the small hours

2 Attachment(s)
Hammer House of Horror - Growing Pains

James Morton - What a cnut!

It's a terrific performance by Matthew Blakstad as the infuriatingly smug and polite James. He's so bloody annoying, not in a 'Bob'' annoying way, but in a want to punch him for his attitude way. Despite such a fine character Growing Pains is the least of the episodes in the 13 part series but is still overall a satisfying watch.

Halloween Resurrection (2002)

"Michael Myers. Born October 19th, 1957. Killed his older sister, October 31st, 1963. Killed three high school students, October 31st, 1978. Also killed three nurses and a paramedic, same night."

"Was believed to be dead, then killed four students, Hillcrest Academy, 1998. Has been missing, unheard of, last three years."

"Now he's back!"

I fully appreciate parts of this are piss poor but I still find this a fun and undemanding way to kick off October's Horror Marathon.

Justin101 1st October 2021 05:16 PM

I watched Resurrection for the first time in about 20 years last October, I agree, it's crap but there are some entertaining moments, Katie Sachoff for example, not so much Tyra Banks.

MrBarlow 1st October 2021 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Vampire In Venice. 1988.

Professor Catalano travels to Venice following a trail of the last known sighting of Nosferatu and plans to destroy him.

Here we have a film that went through three different directors Augusto Caminito, Maurizio Lucidi, Luigi Cozzi and one unpredictable actor Klaus Kinski who directed a few scenes. We all know Kinski's background at being a angry unorthodox actor who was meant to be in the same make up as the 1979 Nosferatu film and refused to do it. Christopher Plummer plays the Van Helsing Professor Catalano and Donald Pleasance as the local priest who seems out of sorts in this.

This is a oddball of a film, Nosferatu awakens by a seance and has a link to a young girl who helps him to arise from his sleep, he is able to manipulate the mind of those who are trying to kill him and bullets loaded with some form of acid can help them. The film may be all over the place but still entertaining.

Attachment 236608

Demoncrat 1st October 2021 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 660439)
Hammer House of Horror - Growing Pains

James Morton - What a cnut!

It's a terrific performance by Matthew Blakstad as the infuriatingly smug and polite James. He's so bloody annoying, not in a 'Bob'' annoying way, but in a want to punch him for his attitude way. Despite such a fine character Growing Pains is the least of the episodes in the 13 part series but is still overall a satisfying watch.

Halloween Resurrection (2002)

"Michael Myers. Born October 19th, 1957. Killed his older sister, October 31st, 1963. Killed three high school students, October 31st, 1978. Also killed three nurses and a paramedic, same night."

"Was believed to be dead, then killed four students, Hillcrest Academy, 1998. Has been missing, unheard of, last three years."

"Now he's back!"

I fully appreciate parts of this are piss poor but I still find this a fun and undemanding way to kick off October's Horror Marathon.

The comm on HR is hilarious D, recommended :nod::lol:

Demoncrat 1st October 2021 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 660423)
Vampire Circus. 1972.

The town of Stetl run by a count who the townspeople believe to be a vampire and kill him. Years later as the town is stunned by a plague, a circus comes and soon the children begin to disappear and they believe the circus is involved.

This is one of the lesser talked about Vampire films from Hammer yet still needs to be watched, the acting in it is brilliant from Adrienne Cori as the circus troupe show lady, David Prowse as the strong man and Thorley Waters as the town's Master and of course Lana Ward as one of the troupe's vampire and Anthony Higgins.

It may be a bit cheesy towards the end with the fight and laughable but from the start it does have it's suspenseful moments and perfect setting for a gothic type horror set in early 19th Century and fare share of blood going about.

Attachment 236600

that's it for today, have a great day all

This one has really grown on me (along with Hands Of The Ripper) so I will definitely be pulling them out during this month methinks!!!

Justin101 1st October 2021 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 660450)
The comm on HR is hilarious D, recommended :nod::lol:

I'm pretty sure my blu doesn't have the comm track, it's one of those budget American discs with the 2 other Miramax films on it. 3 films on one disc, cracking quality as you can imagine :lol: I want to hear it now ...

bleakshaun 1st October 2021 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 636482)
well I've done the same thing I did the past 2 years by watching Ghostwatch this evening. It still works as a piece of drama, just a shame I never saw it when it was originally broadcasted (I might have done though I was only 4 months old when it was on the beeb so I might have been awake bawling my head off). However from a millennial perspective it is a strong piece of drama and a great example of how less is more in horror.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg

3rd year in a row and still the same opinion.