Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Justin101 2nd October 2021 04:58 PM

Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors (1965)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...zNxo90jgvvPMpA

Christopher Lee's face when Roy Castle slams the train door on him at the beginning is me every time I go to work on the bus :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd October 2021 05:01 PM

October 1st

2 Attachment(s)
Hell Night (1981)

I can understand if some think Hell Night a bit slow moving. For a slasher film there's very little gore but as a Gothic horror i think it works rather well despite it being a college hazing movie masquerading as a Gothic horror.

There's some delightful creeping round old dark houses scenes especially for lovely Linda Blair in her Victoriana low cut dress.

Whilst there's nothing particularly memorable about the film it's one i've always enjoyed and it's become a cozy 100 minutes of comfort viewing.

Whilst the 101 Films Blu-ray isn't the greatest 4K scan around it is substantially better than the old dvd. Although i didn't watch them there are over three and a half hours of interviews and documentaries on the disc.

Zombie Flesh Eaters (1979)

Lovely to finally see Lucio Fulci's classic zombie film in HD. For me it remains the benchmark in horror movie splatter thanks to Gino De Rossi's superb special effects work and Fabio Frizzo's memorably creepy score.

bleakshaun 2nd October 2021 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 660504)
Zombie Flesh Eaters (1979)

Lovely to finally see Lucio Fulci's classic zombie film in HD. For me it remains the benchmark in horror movie splatter thanks to Gino De Rossi's superb special effects work and Fabio Frizzo's memorably creepy score.

actually this is what i watched tonight myself. Shame there isn't too many zombie movies nowadays where zombies rise from the graves. but hey ho.

MrBarlow 2nd October 2021 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Awakening. 1980.

A archaeologist in Egypt uncovers a tomb of a Egyptian Queen, when he opens the tomb his wife goes into labour. When their daughter reaches her teen years they uncover that the spirit of the Egyptian queen has possessed the daughter.

This was a modern remake of Blood from The Mummy's Tomb based on the Bram Stoker novel, this time Charlton Heston takes the lead as the archaeologist. It's a nicely shot atmospheric film even though it may seem a bit slow it is entertaining right up to the climatic end. I have seen this once before in the late 80s early 90s and it is one I will happily watch again.

Attachment 236624

MrBarlow 2nd October 2021 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Evil. 1978.

A doctor rents a dilapidated mansion to use as a clinic, during the renovations the group begin to be tormented by a supernatural force.

This is one of those movies that disappeared for a while and resurfaced and a lot of people have seen it, I picked this up at a car boot sale for 50p-£1. a good few years ago, the guy said it was rubbish but wished me happy viewing and he was wrong. This may be low budget but certainly entertaining, good cast, atmospheric gothic type mansion and a decent finale to the film.

Attachment 236626

Demoncrat 2nd October 2021 11:09 PM

Boys From County Hell (2020, Chris Baugh)

A local legend proves to have some teeth left after all in this robust little tale. When a proposed bypass threatens a local landmark, the fun begins in earnest from the off. Decent enough. One mad bit left me gawping tbh. :nod:

Demoncrat 2nd October 2021 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 660516)
The Evil. 1978.

A doctor rents a dilapidated mansion to use as a clinic, during the renovations the group begin to be tormented by a supernatural force.

This is one of those movies that disappeared for a while and resurfaced and a lot of people have seen it, I picked this up at a car boot sale for 50p-£1. a good few years ago, the guy said it was rubbish but wished me happy viewing and he was wrong. This may be low budget but certainly entertaining, good cast, atmospheric gothic type mansion and a decent finale to the film.

Attachment 236626

How I love this mad mad mad movie. REWATCH. :nod:

MrBarlow 3rd October 2021 12:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
House By The Cemetery. 1981.

Dr Norman Boyle movies his family to a secluded house to finish the work for a colleague who was looking into the work of Dr. Freudstein and discover a secret in the basement.

Thank some one who invented the mute button when Bob screams, who really grabbed the cojones of the person to make them scream like that. The First of the Fulci film for this October fest, one that I have always appreciated since owning the Vipco VHS butchered edited version and was always thrilled to see the uncut version in it's glory.

Attachment 236629

MrBarlow 3rd October 2021 12:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Legacy. 1978.

A American couple staying in England become stranded and are invited to a house, there they are met by other people and find out what the owner plans to do with the legacy of the house and grounds.

This is more suspense chiller rather than horror, mixed with unexplained deaths and possibly the supernatural but i'm adding it anyway cos this one did creep the...you know out of me when I was young. The acting is decently done from all, the twist how people seem to die around the group and suddenly they suffer the same fate, atmospheric creepy gothic mansion, what more do you want from a good 70s chiller.

Attachment 236630

MrBarlow 3rd October 2021 02:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Theatre Bizarre. 2011.

Young girl Enola stays across from a abandoned theatre, one night the door is open and she goes in, at the stage is a puppet called Peg Poett who tells her tales of stories regarding the puppets on stage.

The Mother Of Toads: A couple travelling in France crosses path with a witch.

I Love You: A paranoid lover who pushes his partner to the brink falls under her anger.

Wet Dreams: A unfaithful husband having strange dreams can't blur the line between real and fantasy.

The Accident: The horrors of the world are shown through the eyes of a child involving death.

Vision Stains: A woman is able to see people's memories through stealing the fluid from her victims eyeballs.

Sweets: An obsession with sweets turns a couple's relationship very dark.

When you see the names Udo Kier, Catriona MacCaoll and Tom Savini you know you could be in for a good film, I forgot who directed the first segment and that can be ignored, these anthology tales all come with a good somewhat twist, even as the film goes on it does make you wonder what is happening to Enola sitting in the audience, decent and well crafted stories.

Attachment 236631

That's it for now, have a good day :)