Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

trebor8273 13th October 2017 08:53 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtFsIQsFY04

A crippled man takes revenge on those have wronged him and his friends, by becoming the oily maniac which looks like a giant shit man. A little on the dull side and really not as violent or gory as I thought it would be , with being an 18, plenty of boobies on display. 5/10

Hoping bloody valentine might be wore interesting which it might be from the first ten minutes.

Antropophagus 14th October 2017 09:23 AM

Day 8 - Hell of the Living Dead
Day 9 - The Hidden
Day 10 - The Company of Wolves
Day 11 - Demons
Day 12 - 976-EVIL
Day 13 - The Beyond

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2017 02:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
October 13th

Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI (1986)

The most entertaining film in the long running series in which not a single scene is wasted. The story begins straight from the off with Jason's resurrection and it never slows until the closing credits as the corpses build up throughout as the masked killer makes his way back to Camp Crystal Lake with inventive maniacal flair.

Thom Matthews and Jennifer Cooke make for an appealing double act you can get behind, (in fact Cooke has more than a passing resemblance to Ellie Cornell from Halloween 4 & 5) rather than the usual disposable teens films of this ilk throw at you.

Dracula (1979)

Director John Badham's take on the classic Bram Stoker story is perhaps more romantic than usual as a seemingly fangless Frank Langella charms his way across the screen. Coming across more Lestat than Dracula, Langella in truth is miscast yet he manages to easily steal many of the scenes he's in especially with Laurence Olivier's Van Helsing, who also appears to be miscast. The mighty Donald Pleasence has a large role in this, although his Dr. Seward isn't a million miles away from his trademark Dr. Loomis in the Halloween series of films. Look out for Sylvester McCoy as well, playing Seward's general dogsbody.

Despite these seemingly damaging flaws in the casting, Dracula is still a good film. It looks terrific and has Gothic atmosphere in spades, and is beautifully photographed, there truly isn't a dull scene to be ahem' scene and whilst it isn't as gory as some of the best vampire films there's still some delightful throat ripping and stakings galore as well as some frightening imagery such as the dead Mina Van Helsing (?) coming on to her unwilling father in her tomb. Isn't it odd how the various Dracula films play mix and match with character names and scenarios?

I was a bit apprehensive as i settled down to watch this, almost fearing the worst, but i actually really enjoyed it.

trebor8273 14th October 2017 04:51 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rt_1JSWKuY

enjoyable if not little predictable slasher sets ten years after tragic events of a mine accident and a killing spree by the surviving miner. gory and fast paced with some gruesome kills . i do remember the original being boring, which this is not, but it is years since i saw it. 7.5/10

trebor8273 14th October 2017 06:06 PM

Tonight's first viewing, alien covenant.

Inspector Abberline 14th October 2017 07:25 PM

The Legend of Hell House (1973)

1 Attachment(s)
The Legend of Hell House (1973)

The Legend Of Hell House has pretty much everything you come to expect from a haunted house flick,(well its a bloody great mansion really) we get ectoplasm ,women swearing in possessed voices,cats going postal and Roddy McDowell going all bug eyed whenever he gets goose bumps.All that is missing is a suit of Armour standing in the corner coming to life and accidentally nearly lobbing someones head of with an axe.And as for the interior sets,well the set designer went a little overboard with the cobwebs as it resembles the streets from the film Kingdom of The Spiders.Overall John Hough steadily builds the tension with some ear piercing sound effects some truly jarring camera work and an atmosphere so oppressive and doom laden it resembles the night Theresa May got re-elected.The estate agents may want to over look the fact that this property seems to be cloaked in fog 24/7. A minor masterpiece...:ghostclap:

trebor8273 14th October 2017 08:53 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0VW6sg50Pk

An enjoyable but flawed entry in the alien franchise taking place ten years after the events of Prometheus, colony ship Covenant takes damage and the crew awakens to fix the ship and detect a signal coming from what appears to be a human being where there should be none, they decided to investigate, but this is the beginning of their problem's. For me this feels like an alien movie, unlike Prometheus. I can see how and why people didn't like how Scott handles the "birth" of the xenomorph we know and love, but I did find the character of David to be fascinating and chilling and credit must go to Fassbender in his duel roles as the caring Walter and unhinged David, while not as good as the first two films I rank it up there with alien 3 , which also wasn't well received. 7.5/10

Tonight's other viewings

House on sorority row
Evil Dead ( remake/reboot)

Justin101 14th October 2017 09:57 PM

Trying to get back on track and watched two films this evening. First up the ‘Style over Substance’ neo-giallo Francesca, which unfortunately was more exciting to look at than actually enjoy. Clearly taking it’s cue from Argento, this film managed to squeeze in every trope available in the genre. After a good opening scene and promising theme tune it quickly turned tedious and the jokey our of sync dubbing was more annoying than anything else.
I followed that up with Blake Lively vs Shark survival horror The Shallows which I had low expectations for but actually really enjoyed! Very tense scenes in the water with the shark and nicely satisfying ending. Worth watching. I won’t be swimming in the sea again though haha.

trebor8273 14th October 2017 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 554448)
Trying to get back on track and watched two films this evening. First up the ‘Style over Substance’ neo-giallo Francesca, which unfortunately was more exciting to look at than actually enjoy. Clearly taking it’s cue from Argento, this film managed to squeeze in every trope available in the genre. After a good opening scene and promising theme tune it quickly turned tedious and the jokey our of sync dubbing was more annoying than anything else.
I followed that up with Blake Lively vs Shark survival horror The Shallows which I had low expectations for but actually really enjoyed! Very tense scenes in the water with the shark and nicely satisfying ending. Worth watching. I won’t be swimming in the sea again though haha.

Cheers was going to watch the shallows tonight after picking the 4k version up at CEX on Friday, will give it a watch tomorrow.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2017 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 554448)

Why low expectations for The Shallows?

Everyone on here, including myself, loves it.

If you like Blake Lively (which i do) can i recommend The Age of Adaline to you?

It's a pity the best bit of Francesca comes after the closing credits. Must admit i rather enjoyed it though.

trebor8273 14th October 2017 10:30 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3ZlNEcFBPM

Highly enjoyable early slasher which I'd not seen or heard of apart from on here, 20 years after a baby dies at birth., A practical joke on a bitter hen mother of a sorority house goes horribly wrong, not long after while a party taks place at the sorority house , someone starts killing people could it be the apparently dead house mother or might there be someone/something be behind the killings. Found it to be a superior slasher far above some of the more well knowing ones, Friday the 13th I'm talking about you. 8/10

Now watching last viewing of the night , the evil dead remake/ reboot it's been a few years since I've seen it but I remember enjoying it.

Edit

Decided not to watch evil dead as I've become very tired so will just put some batman the animated series or star trek TNG on in the background and fall asleep.

Justin101 14th October 2017 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 554452)

If you like Blake Lively (which i do) can i recommend The Age of Adaline to you?

It's a pity the best bit of Francesca comes after the closing credits. Must admit i rather enjoyed it though.

I quite fancy The Age of Adaline actually the trailer was good.
Low expectations just because it’s a modern horror film and too many of them are pretty rubbish, I remember all of the positive reviews though which is why I gave it a go.

trebor8273 14th October 2017 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 554461)
Low expectations just because it’s a modern horror film and too many of them are pretty rubbish, I remember all of the positive reviews though which is why I gave it a go.

Same here, heard all the positive reviews but it was a new horror and 90% of those are looking and i also wanted to increase my 4K library.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2017 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 554461)

I've seen The Age of Adaline twice this year and loved it both times.

bleakshaun 15th October 2017 10:48 AM

Last night's film choices were:
Theatre of Blood
A group of theatre critics get killed off one by one by a Shakespearean actor who gets ignored for a prestigious award for acting. The actor uses Shakespeare's as his inspiration for the murders.
The cast is swell and has a damn fine performance by Vincent Price who really hams it up and takes.so much enjoyment in the role. Also has some great kills and black comedy.
10/10

Curse of the Werewolf
A beggar humiliates himself for food and money and ends up in prison. He gets fed by jailwardens daughter and ends up raping her, she escapes and dies after birth, turns out that the child is got an evil spirit and during the full moon turns to a werewolf.
One of my favorite Hammer movies, Oliver Reed brings a good performance as Leon and also some great effects for the werewolf as well.
9/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

Inspector Abberline 15th October 2017 10:50 AM

BLOOD OF GHASTLY HORROR (1972)

5 Attachment(s)
BLOOD OF GHASTLY HORROR (1972):zombie:
Attachment 197708
Boy never was a title so apt as this one,even by Al's standards this one is pretty loopy and just a bit of a mess.Producer Sam Sherman convinces Al to take his 1964 move ECHO OF TERROR,a heist movie and tack on some newer footage they filmed in the 1970's,and turn what was a jewel robbery film into a mad scientist flick instead.So every so often the film will leap backwards and forwards in time like Scott Bakula as the original film is told in flashback,geddit..?On hand is John Carradine as a mad scientist who obviously needed the money,also the lovely Regina Carroll appears yet again in her hubbies movie,and while she is no Meryl Streep at least she takes the attention away from the god awful film sets.Speaking of which it would be easy to scoff at the awfulness of some of the props,so I will,frankly there rubbish,Carradine's brain chip machine is just a tin hat with wires on it,The Blue Peter cat could of come up with better props.But when all said and done this is what we come to expect from Al,anything less would be just mental.Still its always a shame when the film never lives up to its title or the very cool poster.Jokingly Sherman introduces the film by saying he has cut up his critics and put them in a couple of black bags he is carrying.Now this is all done tongue in cheek but you do get the impression he maybe is harboring a few grudges from his past critics.

Attachment 197709Attachment 197710Attachment 197711Attachment 197712

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th October 2017 12:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
October 14th

Lights Out (2016)

A fairly listless and scare free experience which is watchable but no more. It's as if the film makers took the best bits of Doctor Who's Weeping Angels, Silence and Vashta Nerada monsters and turned them into a supernatural movie.

Teresa Palmer does well with limited material whilst Maria Bello is just there. The lights are out and no one's home.

The Fog (1979)

From the spooky as hell opening campfire tale about the stricken vessel, the Elizabeth Dane, as whispered by John Houseman, to sultry Stevie Wayne on the radio during the witching hour. Director John Carpenter cares as much about setting the scene as he does the visceral shocks which follow. The Fog is in every way the perfect supernatural horror film.

Rik 15th October 2017 01:28 PM

Completely agree on both counts, Lights Out bored the crap outta me when I watched it last year, whereas the Fog is one of the best supernatural horrors out there :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th October 2017 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 554452)

I thought The Shallows was excellent, but I'm not sure whether I would buy the Ultra HD release because I'm wary of the format identifying flaws in the make-up effects which are not so visible on standard Blu-ray!

Trebor, how does it look in 4K – could you do a quick comparison between the UHD BD and standard BD to see if there is a big improvement in the sound and picture quality?

I haven't seen The Age of Adaline, so I'll keep an eye on prices for a blind buy.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th October 2017 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 554503)
I haven't seen The Age of Adaline, so I'll keep an eye on prices for a blind buy.

Ha – that didn't take long as I've just bought the BD from Music Magpie for £3.55!

trebor8273 15th October 2017 01:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgdxIlSuB70

Like Justin went into this with low expectations, know it was highly rated on here but people also raved about it follows and the barbadook both which I found to be awful, but not this we have beautifully shot , well acted and tense film, which looks very nice in 4k, did a little comparison and I could see more detail and the colours were more bold and vivid of course part of this is down too HDR and if your TV doesn't support it I don't think it will look as nice, but will still be an upgrade on the standard blu ray. 9/10

Nordicdusk 15th October 2017 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 197724

A deaf female writer living alone in a cabin in the woods is trapped in her home and terrorised by a lone killer who has already murdered her friend and close neighbour.

Hush starts out really interesting with the whole idea of a vulnerable woman alone in the woods with no way to contact anyone for help of course the power is gone and the killer has her phone obviously :rolleyes: all that and the added fact that she is deaf making it harder to know if he is trying to break in or where he could be if he is out of sight. But a promising start soon just starts to drag along a bit giving the potential victim every opportunity to escape of fight back. My problem is he finished off his first kill straight away a little chase but then bam done but for some reason he keeps hesitating here not even toying with her just pointlessly delaying her cabin is like a glass house he could just break a window and hes in and she would have no idea. The stupidity of the attacker just took me out of the film and i just wanted it over and done with. So much potential to make a really creepy intense film wasted with stupid decision making.

5/10

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th October 2017 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 554506)
did a little comparison and I could see more detail and the colours were more bold and vivid of course part of this is down too HDR and if your TV doesn't support it I don't think it will look as nice, but will still be an upgrade on the standard blu ray. 9/10

Thanks for the information. As I don't own The Shallows on any format, I will probably bypass DVD and standard Blu-ray to buy the Ultra HD release.

As someone who really likes both It Follows and The Babadook, I thought this was excellent, showing I have very eclectic tastes in films generally and within the horror genre.

trebor8273 15th October 2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 554511)
Thanks for the information. As I don't own The Shallows on any format, I will probably bypass DVD and standard Blu-ray to buy the Ultra HD release.

As someone who really likes both It Follows and The Babadook, I thought this was excellent, showing I have very eclectic tastes in films generally and within the horror genre.

I was a bit hard on it follows it was ok but that was it, Babadook was terrible

Nordicdusk 15th October 2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 554512)
I was a bit hard on it follows it was ok but that was it, Babadook was terrible

Agree with The Babadook i couldn't stand it loved It Follows but The Shallows was good up until a certain point and it just got stupid from about half way through to the end :skull:

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th October 2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 554514)
Agree with The Babadook i couldn't stand it loved It Follows but The Shallows was good up until a certain point and it just got stupid from about half way through to the end :skull:

You raved about Deathgazm though.

I couldn't believe how run of the mill that was. :skull:

Nordicdusk 15th October 2017 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 554516)
You raved about Deathgazm though.

I couldn't believe how run of the mill that was. :skull:

I didnt see it that way.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th October 2017 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 554518)
I didnt see it that way.

I think you were swayed by the power of death metal.

Nordicdusk 15th October 2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 554519)
I think you were swayed by the power of death metal.

Maybe if the shark had a battle jacket on i would of loved The Shallows.

Nordicdusk 15th October 2017 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 197788

Driving across the country getting into minor fender benders with young woman to get their phone numbers and addresses so he can terrorise them in their homes. There is no motive just someone who enjoys driving and murdering i guess :skull:

Its pretty decent slasher with a few flaws mainly the acting is pretty weak and the first crash scene is one of the most awkward things i have seen in a long time :skull: When the killer eventually shows up at the house there is no real feeling of panic from the occupants and in one of the chase scenes the girl is actually running in slow motion not a slow motion scene but real time slow motion and she throws a lamp on the floor right in plain view and he still falls over it :skull:. As you can see in the poster the killer is masked which is pretty pointless when he see his face in plain view when he crashes into Hilarys car granted his is wearing sunglasses he's not Clark Kent or anything.

With its flaws i still found it entertaining especially the ending my kind of ending. One more thing of note i really likes the soundtrack.

6/10

BAKA 15th October 2017 03:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 197789
[09] The Girl In Room 2A
Sometimes it’s difficult to know which language track to watch a film with. Although often considered a giallo, and having been shot in Italy, The Girl In Room 2A was directed by American film-maker William Rose, and apparently shot in English, despite both language options appearing to be dubs. I decided to watch with the English language track, which was the default option on the Mondo Macabro DVD, but soon came to regret my decision, as some scenes were only in Italian, which can make for a jarring viewing experience, especially if those scenes aren’t automatically subtitled, and you need to reach for the remote. This is definitely a title I will be revisiting in the future, with purely the Italian track. The film has an ethereal feel, echoing the work of Franco, it has a listless pace, with glimmers of the underneath sporadically diffused, a masked character reminiscent of Louis Feuillade’s work, delirious dreamlike sequences. The film is a slow burn, only really accelerating in the final act, but the pay-off feels merely glimpsed, never quite as lurid or depraved as you expect it to be.
:pumpkin::pumpkin::pumpkin:

Attachment 197790
[10] Eye In The Labyrinth
Eye In The Labyrinth adheres to the typical giallo structure, a parade of morally repugnant individuals, all with secrets to hide that slowly unfurl over the course of the running time, until a final act reveal places the viewer themselves as victims of the deception. The sleight-of-hand interestingly taps into a narrative device that is a trend for popular fiction at the moment, one that can potentially leave the audience feeling a little cheated. The lush coastal setting provides a lavish backdrop, which contrasts with the dilapidated villas, allowing the tone to shift from pleasure to unease. Never would you expect a row of sunbathers to make for a haunting image, but the eye covers make it seem as if their eyes have been removed, a celestial space where they should be, and in complete ignorance of the main character. Alida Valli steals the show, playing a reprehensible scenery-chewing monster of a character. Sadly her part never quite lives up to her indomitable presence.

Attachment 197791
[11] The Night Evelyn Came Out Of The Grave
We’re firmly planted in inheritance giallo territory for Emilio Miraglia’s The Night Evelyn Came Out Of The Grave, seasoned viewers will know not to trust a single one of the deceptive array of characters, including the director himself, out to pull the rug from under us in the finale. The castle setting gives the film a malleable feel, at times imposingly gothic, contrasting with chic ‘70s interiors. The protagonist is pitched to us as a deviant, with a perverted aversion to red-headed ladies, he’s seen fleeing from a psychiatric institute in the opening, in an arresting visual, an odd choice for a protagonist. The film features one of the most bizarre strip club sequences committed to film, featuring a stripper rising from a coffin, derrière first. The cinematography is sumptuous, night scenes in the castle grounds in particular are striking, feeling inspirited by the supernatural. The titular Evelyn’s rise from the grave is breathtaking, even more so than the stripper's.

Attachment 197792
[12] The Red Queen Kills Seven Times
Emilio Miraglia’s The Red Queen Kills Seven Times shares an interesting symbiosis with the director’s prior film, The Night Evelyn Came Out Of The Grave. Eveline here too, seemingly rises from the grave, with a slight variation in spelling. The back-story of a Red and Black Queen is an ominous foretelling, a dark seed supplanted in the viewer, which influences, almost taints our interpretation of proceeding events. The film runs the gamut of giallo tropes, an inheritance, a fashion house, a psychiatric institute, and similarly to Evelyn, it suffuses the gothic horror aesthetic of a castle. The visual of the red-caped killer is arresting, most notably in the dream sequence, the cinematography always finding a way to highlight the red, making it seem eye-bleedingly vivid. It’s hard not to compare the relationship between of the two movies to the fable of the Red and Black Queen, here the Red Queen is out for revenge, wanting more kills, creating a better paced, tighter and more rewarding experience than Evelyn.
:pumpkin::pumpkin::pumpkin::pumpkin:

Nordicdusk 15th October 2017 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 197793

A yoga teacher is home alone for the weekend in her New York apartment while her girlfriend heads home to visit her family. Kate already struggling emotionally and mentally feels even more alone and isolated when there is a power outage all across the city. We see Kate going through a whole range of emotions from happy and giddy to playfully trying on different outfits and taking pictures of herself to a more flirty sultry mood where she heads to a local bar seeking out a one night stand with who ever happens to be there. After the deed is done regret sinks in and from there on in it's just a rapid descent into the deepest darkest corners of her mind fear depression paranoia even hallucinations.

Not the horror film i was expecting more psychological horror just watching this young woman slowly losing her mind. I was kept interested right until the end trying to work out was everything going on actually real or just Kates imagination.

6/10

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th October 2017 05:02 PM

@Nordy

I don't know any of these films you are watching and reviewing. Have you bought them all or are they on Netflix or something?

trebor8273 15th October 2017 05:19 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKFDkpHCQz4

While it's not as good as the first two films(or TV show) it's better than the third and a lot of other modern horrors and reboots/remakes. The cast are likable enough which not usually the case with modern horror. On the whole the effects are good, but I do miss the more old school deadites, liked the little Easter eggs to the other films, the locket and Ash's car etc. 7.5/10

Next up

Unhinged (remake)

Red queen kills 7 times

trebor8273 15th October 2017 06:11 PM

Unhinged

Opening sequence of a fat tart screaming and some dreadful acting was enough for me, off it went. Make give it a try at a later date. Also something of with how it's shot, feels like it's shot on a phone or cheap camera.

Maybe I'm horrored out as I can't get into red queen kills seven times.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th October 2017 07:19 PM

Halloween viewing thus far:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th October 2017 07:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Today's carvings:

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th October 2017 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 554560)
Today's carvings:

Nice work, b_e.

the One on the left hand side reminds me of something but i can't place it.

trebor8273 15th October 2017 08:10 PM

With not beng able to get into either red queen or unhinged, going to go with a change of pace and watch the nightmare before Christmas.

Demoncrat 15th October 2017 09:55 PM

That there Halloween thingy
Inside
George & Mildred :skull:
ZFE 3
Swingers Massacre
Naked Massacre
Grave Of The Vampire

Thus far .....

I love Unhinged. I take it this is the remake treb??