Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th October 2018 10:04 PM

I didn't like Satan's Blade much first time round. Something drew me back though and i rather liked it on second viewing.

The Slayer is as b_e says very slow to begin with but does improve. You'll all think me a loony for saying this but i preferred it on VIPCO's dvd (decent print but showing a fair bit of damage) to Arrow's remastered beautiful looking blu/dvd. Those scratches added to the films air of weirdness. If i was to get rid of one version of the film it would be the bluray. :lol:

The Mutilator is okay.

If i were you, bleakshaun i'd go for Blood Rage. That was brilliant. :pop2:

MrBarlow 5th October 2018 11:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The House Of Lost Souls 1989.

A group of teens arrive at a run down hotel and slowly being killed off.

This is a T.V made movie by Umberto Lenzi, part of the house of doom series, it is entertaining in some bits like the back story to the weird looking owner who is a bit like Norman Bates but without mother. Downside for me was the deaths, OK made for TV and Lenzi must have been told to tone down the gore a bit which is mild than what we are use to from the director. Still worth a gander. 6 out of 10.

MrBarlow 6th October 2018 01:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Entity 1982.

Single mother of three Carla Moran is sexually assaulted multiple times by a ghost.

Based on the true story from the early 70s of one woman's traumatic experiences of a haunting and trying to seek help and a chance meeting of two paranormal investigators that became one of the unexplained phenomenas.

From the book by Frank DeFilitta accounts his involvement and the life of Carla, Barbara Hershey's performance in this is brilliant as the troubled woman who gets no help from doctor Sneiderman played by Ron Silver, Charles Bernstein score for this film makes it more eerie.

When the real victim of the movie moved, what haunted her went with her but stopped after a period of time, journalists wanted interviews but none were given. A lot of stories began to surface about whether the attacks were real and past traumatic incidents occurred and she caused the haunt by seances and Ouija boards.
After 30+ years this movie is still creepy. 8 out of 10.

MrBarlow 6th October 2018 04:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Sentinel 1977.

A model moves into a building, on the top floor is a blind priest and is told they are the only occupants, where do the other tenants come from.

From Director Michael Winner and Author Jeffrey Konvitz comes this dark gothic creepy style movie with a good star cast, from Chris Sarandon, Eli Wallach, Ava Gardner, Burgess Meredith Christopher Walken, Beverly D'Angelo. The film does start off slow like a small thriller type but does pick up the pace when it's a race to fight good vs evil. This isn't a edge of your seat nail biting, I thought it be like a ghost story but has a added plot twist, there is a cameo appearance from John Carradine and Tom Berrenger. Worth a watch 8 out of 10

Paul Zombie 6th October 2018 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The House on Sorority Row.

A bunch of sorority sisters decide to throw one last party before they graduate but fall foul of the deranged house mother Mrs slater, which leads to a prank that backfires horrifically.

One of my favorites of the slasher horror films that followed in the tradition of Halloween and Black Christmas. this is a film that has quite a creepy vibe with clowns and a musical box, and is very well written for these type of films with various plot twists. Not particulary gruesome, but still provides some shocking moments, especially in the scene in the toilet.

The acting is above average as well, and includes your usual good but boring girl and the stereotypical slut who soon gets killed off. :lol:
and a nice soundtrack too that put me in mind of The Amityville Horror.

One amusing part in the film is the group who are hired for the party, with the lead singer chap reminding me of Jason Donovan from Neighbours with his blond mullet. :laugh:
80.5 out of 100.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th October 2018 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 589910)
If i were you, bleakshaun i'd go for Blood Rage. That was brilliant. :pop2:

Blood Rage is a great little slasher, so I second Dem's rec on this one.

It's based at Thanksgiving though so maybe one for later in the year (not that it really matters I suppose).

bleakshaun 6th October 2018 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 589952)
Blood Rage is a great little slasher, so I second Dem's rec on this one.

It's based at Thanksgiving though so maybe one for later in the year (not that it really matters I suppose).

I wish I could, but don't have it......yet.
So far it's looking like Satan's Blade, asked a couple of colleagues who ain't horror fans, and they all said Satan's Blade.
There's still time.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th October 2018 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 589954)
I wish I could, but don't have it......yet.
So far it's looking like Satan's Blade, asked a couple of colleagues who ain't horror fans, and they all said Satan's Blade.
There's still time.

Non-horror fans recommended Satan's Blade?

How have they even heard of it never mind seen it?

bleakshaun 6th October 2018 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 589955)
Non-horror fans recommended Satan's Blade?

How have they even heard of it never mind seen it?

I gave them the titles and they based their decision solely on that.
I've decided on Satan's Blade. If it is bad, it's fine.

MrBarlow 6th October 2018 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fright Night 1985.

Teen Charley Brewster is convinced his neighbour is a Vampire, his friend Ed and girlfriend Amy don't believe him. He enlists the help of TV and film actor Peter Vincent for help.

This starts of as a homage to some cheesey B movies and gets better as it goes on, with a small comedy blended in with good gore and special effects that look realistic than other 80s movies.

Chris Sarandon gives out such a great performance as the Vampire, he is seem as a good guy but with a very bad dark side that does show in the film. Roddy McDowell stars as the greatest Vampire Hunter actor Peter Vincent, in his films he sees himself as a bad ass but faced with a real vampire he is a complete wuss. Jonathan Stark stars as Billy the protector who's demise was great, Stephen Geoffreys as the best friend Ed who goes to the dark side and his transformation from wolf back to human seems to get some sympathy and Amanda Bears as the cutie girl Amy who is seduced well by Jerry. The film does have great background music provided by Brad Fiedel who composed the music for The Terminator.

bleakshaun 6th October 2018 07:58 PM

Satan's Blade
A knife flies into a tree, a bank robbery happens, one of the robbers gets shot, her killer gets stabbed by some unknown killer. Instead of being logical and shutting the lodgings down; the owner gives the room to some teenage girls - a perfect recipe.........FOR DEATH!! [emoji3517][emoji317][emoji3517][emoji83]
I really don't know why I put it that way but it's. Not a terrible slasher, but for the middle part of the movie it does atmittedly drag on slightly. A second viewing at some point is certain.

trebor8273 6th October 2018 07:58 PM

Up tonight the house that dripped blood.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th October 2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 589964)
Satan's Blade
A knife flies into a tree, a bank robbery happens, one of the robbers gets shot, her killer gets stabbed by some unknown killer. Instead of being logical and shutting the lodgings down; the owner gives the room to some teenage girls - a perfect recipe.........FOR DEATH!! [emoji3517][emoji317][emoji3517][emoji83]
I really don't know why I put it that way but it's. Not a terrible slasher, but for the middle part of the movie it does atmittedly drag on slightly. A second viewing at some point is certain.

Glad to hear you (kind of) enjoyed it, b. :skull:

bleakshaun 6th October 2018 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 589967)
Glad to hear you (kind of) enjoyed it, b. :skull:

Well I had to make the best of it, besides I'm showing my mate the Hatchet movies this week so I had to get myself in the mood.

Crimson Blade 6th October 2018 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A Bell From Hell(1973).

A young man called John gets released on probation from a mental hospital and vows revenge against his aunt and cousins who he believed had him committed to steal his fortune.

Directed by Claudio Guerin Hill, who apparently jumped to his death on the last day of the shoot, this is an entertaining and suspenseful horror/thriller set in Spain.
Renaud Verley, who plays John, is excellent as the disturbed young man seeking vengeance, which starts out with elaborate pranks until it reaches the climax with something a lot more horrific.

One disturbing aspect to the film though is the inclusion of some particularly nasty scenes of animal cruelty in a slaughterhouse. But all in all, though, it's a well made film that is well worth a watch. And has the added bonus of the gorgeous actress Maribel Martin playing one of the cousins. 7/10.

Gothmogxx 6th October 2018 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 589968)
I'm showing my mate the Hatchet movies this week.

That's an excellent choice of film franchise right there.

Gothmogxx 6th October 2018 09:19 PM

The Hills Have Eyes 1977

The story of one American family's refusal to die.

This was one I actually wasn't allowed to watch until I think roughly around when I was 13/14ish: because of the themes and content (sexual violence etc). My parents were lenient with Freddy, Jason, Michael, Victor, Chucky etc but this along with Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a no go until that point. So it (along with its Remake) built up for years on account of me watching the trailer a lot of times in anticipation.

And its pretty good. In terms of Craven's work its not quite up there with The Last House on the Left, A Nightmare on Elm Street or Scream but in its own right it works.

I can see why my parents were a bit anxious about this one. Its different watching a standard slasher film with any of the main bad guys just killing people with over the top death scenes that you can't possibly take seriously. Even the original Evil Dead wasn't an issue. But the sequence in this, where the cannibals assault the family in the trailer is vicious even today. Its really intense and hard to sit through: a testament to the genius of Wes Craven's direction. Some of the family are killed, the daughter is raped (its not quite as bad as most of the stuff in Last House on the Left but its obviously not nice) and one of the dogs ends up dead.

The whole sequence with attack on the trailer is definitely the strongest part of the film (I also liked the creepy opening credits and the music which accompanies it) and the rest is pretty good.

You obviously root for these people to get revenge on the cannibals and when they set out to do so, you cheer for them
SPOILER:
Jupiter and Mars get pretty nasty treatment but I think the best is the dog Beast absolutely destroying Pluto in the no mans land between the trailer and their lair. It's done really well and, much as I like the character and Michael Berryman who plays him, I still don't quite get how the hell he's still alive for the under-rated sequel.

Its fascinating how this wasn't a video nasty. I know it was a section 3 title but its just another example of how clueless our esteemed moral guardians were back then (and they still are, but they're pretty much powerless now against horror now thanks to the internet, thank god). How exactly was The Funhouse, which is now a 15 rated film btw, a video nasty but this wasn't? Rape, brutal violence, cannibalism: surely that's a video nasty? Even the BBFC didn't think it was so bad given they only made them cut a measly 2 seconds from the film in 1987 (Mars shoving the gun in Brenda's throat): and this was during the dark days of the Ferman era where you would have expected cuts to anything with knives and rape. Least its as uncut as it'll ever be now (MPAA cut a lot more out back in the day and the footage is still missing).

Its a good watch: not the best but good. 7/10

Oh and I love the infamously bad sequel :lol::lol::lol:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th October 2018 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 589968)
Well I had to make the best of it, besides I'm showing my mate the Hatchet movies this week so I had to get myself in the mood.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gothmogxx (Post 589972)
That's an excellent choice of film franchise right there.

Not a fan of those myself. Hopefully your mate enjoys though, b.

MrBarlow 6th October 2018 09:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
House On Haunted Hill. 1999.

1950s, Vanacutt asylum, patients escape and cause a riot, Dr Vanacutt seals the building killing all except 5 staff members, years later business mogul Stephen Price hires out the asylum for a birthday party for his spoilt wife, will they survive the night.

The original 1958 movie was based on psychological terror, this version is basically pure terror and Ghosts and dark atmosphere.

The character of Pritchard from the original movie played by Elijah Cook, is played by Chris Cattan who brings in fear and comedy that shows he owns the building but also terrified of being in there. Geoffrey Rush and Famke Jansen play the not so happy wealth couple that she has tried to kill Stephen and failed, along with the wife and doctor affair.

There is some cameo roles from singer Lisa Loeb and James Masters as reporter and camera man as well from Jeffrey Combs,
there was a few scenes filmed but were deleted which could have helped the movie but part of it was left as a head scratch as wtf happened and a added extra to the end, still pretty enjoyable movie.
7 out of 10

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th October 2018 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 589975)
Not a fan of those myself. Hopefully your mate enjoys though, b.

Me neither. The first one's good, but the rest... :puke:

I'd say watch the first then move on to Laid to Rest and finally something a little different such as Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon.

MrBarlow 7th October 2018 12:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Kingdom of the spiders 1977.

A small town is over run by killer tarantulas, the veterinarian teams up with a arachnologist to stop the invasion.

This wasn't a big blockbuster movie the way Arachnophobia was in 1990, even though William Shatner was in this film, there is no CGI effects all the spiders were real and there is a decent steady pace even to the end with painting resembling the outcome of the town.

In a interview with Shatner he said it did leave a opening for sequel that was drafted but never amounted to anything than a idea, on IMDB there is a sequel in production. This was a alot better than the other 70s movie The Giant Spider Invasion.

bleakshaun 7th October 2018 05:59 AM

Well I like the 3, haven't watched the 4th yet. My mate ain't seen them so hopefully he'll enjoy them.

Paul Zombie 7th October 2018 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Visitor.

John Huston is God and has taken Satan prisoner in his space ship. But Satan escapes to Earth and starts using his powers of evil to impregnate women and giving them antichrist babies.
So God sends a flock of birds to kill him, but he turns himself into a eagle and manages to kill all but three of them, eventhough they manage to fatally wound him.
afterwards God becomes an exorcist and hunts down all the satanic babies, and is now after a child called Katy collins who lives with her mother in Atlanta. Or something like that. :lol:

directed by some chap named Ovidio assontis, this is one seriously weird and out there film. a Omen, Exorcist type rip off with a bit of sci fi thrown in.

Not a big hit apparently and i can see why the film flopped at the time, as it would go over anybodys head.
but it does however have a certain amount of charm like most of the italian films from that period. and Katy collins is quite interesting as a female Damien type character, making basket balls blow up, turning a bird into a gun to shoot her mother, and not forgetting using her powers to see off a gang who are harassing her at a ice rink. :laugh:

And featuring a all star cast as well, including Lance henrickson as part of a satanic cult who is sent to get Katy's mother pregnent again to bear a son, but fails, so her mother gets kidnapped by satanic aliens who impregnate her in their space ship. :pound: Glenn ford as the leader of the satanists. Shelley winters as a guardian angel. And a cameo from Franco Nero playing Jesus in a long blond wig were he's in sanctuary with a former group of satanic children who have been exorcised and now wear white robes and have their heads shaved. :lol:

Okay, not the best ever Italian horror film ever made but its not too bad either. and is certainly different with a interesting soundtrack.
so i award this unusual film 67.5 out of 100.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th October 2018 01:26 PM

Crimes of Passion – Ken Russell's 1984 film about a fashion designer and high class prostitute accused of industrial espionage and stalked by a psychopathic preacher is a tough one to pin down. With strong horror elements, others which are more suited to a romance, some scenes of genuine suspense and some typical Russell WTF moments, it is occasionally brilliant and sometimes confounding. It's fascinating because it is so all over the place and would probably be a poorer film if it was just about a prostitute being stalked or a fashion designer caught up in a spying map, but the Cronenberg-esque design, especially a particularly dangerous looking vibrator and great performances by Kathleen Turner, Anthony Perkins, and Bruce Davison kept me engaged throughout. I watched the director's cut and will revisit the disc next week to check out the other cut of the film.

Train to Busan – I had high hopes of this South Korean horror and it not only met them, but exceeded my expectations. The premise is a fairly simple one: the Korean peninsula is in chaos when a Virus turns most of the population into violent flesh eaters with an express train going to the city of Busan as a form of safe haven. The film and some elements of 28 Days Later in the Way the people are transformed when infected, but I probably found this more emotionally engaging than Danny Boyle's film, particularly the father-daughter relationship which is really the film's emotional heartbeat. Yeon Sang-ho has created something very impressive which could easily be described as a modern day masterpiece and something which could be looked back on as a classic of horror cinema. It's a great movie and I highly recommend it.

Afflicted – What looks like a film about two Americans touring Europe to do outrageous things suggested by people on the Internet becomes altogether stranger and involving and one of them spends a night with a French woman, a night he can't remember and which leaves him with a strong reaction to sunlight, remarkable speed, strength, and agility, but the sense that all is not well grows as the 'illness' worsens. There was a stage during the first act where I almost think I would make it to the end, but found this take on vampirism to be really interesting in a way which few films have looked at the philosophical implications of such an 'affliction' (to borrow the title) in any depth. Those who don't like found footage films or those with a lot of 'shaky cam' sequences should probably avoid this, but for everyone else, it's well worth a watch.

Wrong Turn – It had been years since I saw this 2003 cannibal movie and had forgotten quite how nasty some of the sequences were, with some effects similar to the design and brutality in the Hills Have Eyes remake. The film doesn't win any awards for originality, but it entertained me for the 80+ minute running time and left me surprised at how well much of it holds up 15 years after its release, a timescale which, with the advancements in film technology, is probably quite useful in determining how well a film has aged.

Wrong Turn 2: Dead End – Released four years after the first film, this sequel uses a reality game show format as its central plot device, a conceit which means it has aged less well than its predecessor simply because of the way the technology used seems very outdated rather than anything else. It is a product of its time, with Henry Rollins' retired army colonel almost a parody of himself and the barbecue with 'mystery meat' one which would fool no one who has ever seen a cannibal movie!

Deadpool – Perhaps a strange choice for October viewing, but I've had the 4K Ultra HD release for a while and, as our hero/antihero remarks "Did I see this was a love story? It's a horror movie." Additionally, there are comments about his complexion being similar to Freddy Krueger's burned face! Of all the recently released Marvel films, this is one which stands out simply because of the huge amount of gratuitous violence, pop culture references, in jokes about the star actor's previous work, and sexual content. I think I've seen it five times now and I still notice new things with every viewing whilst really enjoying every minute. I wasn't disappointed by the sequel at the cinema and ordered it immediately after watching this.

Panic in the Streets – Recommended by Demdike because it fits the 'Virus film' definition and watched on Amazon Video (a free and poor quality stream). There are some parts of this which reminded me of The Naked City in the Way in Which Elia Kazan Uses New Orleans, and the structure and central character may have been an influence on the 1956 Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I'm very pleased it was recommended because it's a film I really enjoyed and was impressed by and will look out for a physical copy with better A/V quality and some extra features.

Popcorn – This Canadian film is perhaps an unusual addition to 88 Films' Slasher Classics Collection because it is relatively blood-free and reminded me like a cross between Lamberto Barber's Demons and Brian DePalma's Phantom of the Paradise in terms of the location and antagonist. The film follows a group of horror film fans who put on a horror film festival in an old cinema which, as they tend to do, has a past. With any film like this, it needs to have a group of characters who you like and become emotionally invested in, and this fortunately happens here. It also helps that the films they are truly during the festival are so interesting and innovative, making it an event I would love to have attended! When it finished I put the commentary on and watched it again, finding the contributions from director Mark Herrier, actors Jill Schoelen, Malcolm Danare, and Special Makeup artist Matt Falls to be very interesting and well moderated by film journalist and a big fan of Popcorn Kristy Jett.

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th October 2018 01:48 PM

Nice review of The Visitor, Paul. :pop2:

Outstanding stuff, Nos. :clap:

Glad you liked Panic in the Streets. I think i'll have to get Train to Busan bought in my next 5 for £20 HMV dvd batch.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th October 2018 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 590011)
Outstanding stuff, Nos. :clap:

Glad you liked Panic in the Streets. I think i'll have to get Train to Busan bought in my next 5 for £20 HMV dvd batch.

I bought it in the 5 for £30 HMV and it really impressed me, but left me emotionally shaken afterwards. I suppose sceptics could dismiss it as the zombie equivalent of Snakes on a Train, but the confined environment and excellent characterisation makes it a step above most recent zombie/infected films and I can see it becoming one of my 'go to' horror films for the foreseeable future.

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th October 2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 590012)
I bought it in the 5 for £30 HMV and it really impressed me, but left me emotionally shaken afterwards. I suppose sceptics could dismiss it as the zombie equivalent of Snakes on a Train, but the confined environment and excellent characterisation makes it a step above most recent zombie/infected films and I can see it becoming one of my 'go to' horror films for the foreseeable future.

What was The Wailing(?) like? That was hyped quite a bit a few months after.

trebor8273 7th October 2018 02:39 PM

Up next Anthony Hopkins cutting the ham as thick as he can in Bram Stokers Dracula.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th October 2018 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 590013)
What was The Wailing(?) like? That was hyped quite a bit a few months after.

I haven't seen The Wailing, but I would like to because it was critically acclaimed and a massive commercial success in Korea and elsewhere.

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th October 2018 03:26 PM

October 5th

1 Attachment(s)
The Reptile (1966)

Filmed back to back on the same sets as Plague of the Zombies, The Reptile has never been a favourite Hammer horror of mine but it remains a highly interesting watch.

One of those reasons is dear old Michael Ripper, who for once gets a rather meaty role and shows what a good actor he is away from the constraints of minor innkeeper roles. Naturally he's an innkeeper here but he's also so much more. The craggy Ray Barrett makes for an interesting and slightly unconventional leading man and Jacqueline Pearce as the afflicted Anna is also excellent.

I did notice a terrific scene this time round. When Barrett and his wife attend dinner at sinister Dr. Franklyn's (Noel Willman) house, Anna, Franklyn's daughter, plays a sitar in an impromptu recital. As it continues Anna's playing becomes more and more improvised as the camera flashes between her and Franklyn as both it seems become more and more sexually aroused. It's a genuinely odd scene and is never returned to in the story but it does suggest some sort of sexual defiance from Anna towards her father, if he is indeed her father.

The Reptile make up is okay and the creature is thankfully kept in the shadows for the most part making the big reveal even more shocking than the way the creature kills it's victims - with a bite of venom to the neck in a wound that very quickly discolours the skin and makes the victim froth violently at the mouth. It's all rather nasty really. In fact the whole film contains an air of claustrophobic doom throughout.

The Reptile - Perhaps not a top level Hammer film but still worth your time.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 7th October 2018 03:55 PM

For what it's worth, I really liked The Wailing.

Susan Foreman 7th October 2018 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Zombie (Post 590009)
The Visitor.

John Huston is God and has taken Satan prisoner in his space ship. But Satan escapes to Earth and starts using his powers of evil to impregnate women and giving them antichrist babies.
So God sends a flock of birds to kill him, but he turns himself into a eagle and manages to kill all but three of them, eventhough they manage to fatally wound him.
afterwards God becomes an exorcist and hunts down all the satanic babies, and is now after a child called Katy collins who lives with her mother in Atlanta. Or something like that. :lol:

Exactly!

Susan Foreman 7th October 2018 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 590021)
For what it's worth, I really liked The Wailing.

For what it's worth, I really liked 'The Reptile'!

I remember reading the story in the Second Hammer Horror Film Omnibus a long time before I saw the film, and I thought it was a cracker

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th October 2018 04:31 PM

October 6th

2 Attachment(s)
The Thing (1982)

John Carpenter's version of the classic novella Who Goes There?, first brought to the screen by Howard Hawks in 1951, is a special effects masterclass from Rob Bottin. The Thing still sports the most gruesome and grizzly effects ever captured on film and remains a masterpiece of suspenseful horror cinema.

The Exorcist (1973)

Speaking of suspense. The Exorcist remains the thinking mans horror film which juxtaposes graphic shock with allegorical levels of religion vs evil. With tremendous performances throughout and one of the finest opening sequences of 70's cinema in the discovery of the amulet in Northern Iraq. The Exorcist throws so much more at you than nauseous horror with subtleties throughout which i think give the film it's longevity and re-watch value.

trebor8273 7th October 2018 06:53 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlDbxogHPao

Anthony Hopkins hams it up gloriously as Van Helsing in Francis Ford Coppolas Dracula. 8/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig3UC0oFfWw

Silly , gross and rude , few of the jokes fall flat but most work and it's a lot of fun. A group of priests live together , whom fight the forces of evil, but these aren't your normal priests ,they swear ,take drugs and have orgys and try to commit as many sins as they can, there is a reason to this, which is as a last resort they will get a demon to possess themselves and commit suicide, with what sins they have commit they will go straight to hell with what ever demon has possessed them. Trouble is a foot when a demon is unleashed set on ending creation, to make matters worse there is a new pope who plans to get rid of the priests. Clancy Brown steals the show. 7/10

Up after doctor who deliver us from evil.

MrBarlow 7th October 2018 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ghost Story 1981.

Four men form their own group The Chowder Society, telling each other ghost stories. When tragedy strikes, they are drawn into a real ghost story of their own.

From the novel of the same name by Peter Straub, this was both a good novel and movie told in flashbacks by the older generation and young generation of a chance meeting with a young woman. There is a good strong cast from everyone and a interesting background score, for me this film didn't drag on, worth a watch. Up next the woman in black

Crimson Blade 7th October 2018 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
City of The Dead(1960).

A witch, Elizabeth Selwyn, is burnt at the stake in New England and puts a curse on the town before she dies. Moving to the present day, a young college student Nan Barlow is studying the history of witchcraft in the class of Professor Driscol, Christopher Lee. To further her education he recommends her to go to the town of Whitewood in New England.

Beautifully shot in black and white, this is a superb tale of witchcraft that's dripping in atmosphere. With the foreboding Raven's Inn run by the creepy Mrs. Newliss and the mist and fog that lingers in every corner of the town which gives a very uneasy and claustrophobic feeling.

The acting is also superb as well, with Christopher Lee as authoritative as ever. And the cute actress Venetia Stevenson who plays Nan Barlow is very good too as the headstrong young girl who may get more than she bargained for on Candlemas Eve. :scared:

Very highly recommended. And one of the best British horror films outside of Hammer. 9/10.

bleakshaun 7th October 2018 09:07 PM

Hatchet
A tour group gets stranded in a Swamp after their boat gets stuck only to be violently murdered by a ghost.
My mates opinion - "Manson again in the opening credits, but ****ing great"
Me, I love this film, if for no reason other than the kills - that's just one reason. It sticks to me as it was the first horror movie that got me into blind buying horrors and building up my collection of trash, so there's that.
Tomorrow night - a coin toss between The Slayer and The Mutilator.

trebor8273 7th October 2018 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 590052)
Hatchet
A tour group gets stranded in a Swamp after their boat gets stuck only to be violently murdered by a ghost.
My mates opinion - "Manson again in the opening credits, but ****ing great"
Me, I love this film, if for no reason other than the kills - that's just one reason. It sticks to me as it was the first horror movie that got me into blind buying horrors and building up my collection of trash, so there's that.
Tomorrow night - a coin toss between The Slayer and The Mutilator.

Mutilator would be my choice

MrBarlow 7th October 2018 09:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Woman In Black 2012.

Solicitor Arthur Kipps is sent to a remote village to sort out the personal details of the late occupier of Eel Marsh and is shrouded in local superstition which may be true.

I never read the book but saw the 1989 version which probably at the time was suspenseful, I was hesitant to watch this movie and glad I did.

This has it all, dark gloomy house, gothic atmosphere, and dark shadows, I will admit even at a film rated 12 I jumped quite a few times, who didn't though. Daniel Radcliffe plays brilliantly from being in Harry Potter films. It does have the suspense music to it with some twist and turns which helps the movie. It does have a really good build up straight through and best watched in the dark. 9 out of 10.