That can wait until Tuesday.
Old 23rd October 2016, 06:52 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
About what i'd give them as well. 7.5 for City of the Living Dead perhaps.
Without decimal points, I'd probably score The Beyond 9/10, City of the Living Dead 8/10, and The House by the Cemetery 7/10.
Old 23rd October 2016, 06:56 PM
Cult Addict

The Witches. 1966. Cyril Frankel.

Gwen Mayfield a schoolteacher posted at a remote village in Africa has a nasty run in with a local witch doctor. After recovering from a nervous breakdown brought on by the attack she returns to England and takes a job as head of a small private rural school run by wealthy siblings Alan and Stephanie Bax.
All starts well but in typical folk horror style soon she starts finding the locals not quite as friendly as she thought and discovers she that the practice of black magic isn't restricted to darkest Africa.
Very atmospheric Hammer film this with a wonderful cast and some downright weird goings on and a cracking script. Some of Kay Walsh's lines as Stephanie Bax are excellent.
Old 23rd October 2016, 07:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Without decimal points, I'd probably score The Beyond 9/10, City of the Living Dead 8/10, and The House by the Cemetery 7/10.
I used to love Fulci's gorefests but i've seen them way too many times.

Only Zombie Flesh Eaters stands up nowadays. I much prefer films like Perversion Story and Murder Rock which i find far more interesting.
Old 23rd October 2016, 07:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I used to love Fulci's gorefests but i've seen them way too many times.

Only Zombie Flesh Eaters stands up nowadays. I much prefer films like Perversion Story and Murder Rock which i find far more interesting.
I really like House By The Cemetery, Something eerie about Dr. Freudstein shuffling about the basement while fat bats attack people, and those two little kids always freak me out.

Mary Freudstein: Mae, time to go home and remember your manners. Now that Bob is staying with us, be sure to treat him like a Freudstein. For other guests are surely destined to drop in.

Old 23rd October 2016, 07:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
I really like House By The Cemetery, Something eerie about Dr. Freudstein shuffling about the basement while fat bats attack people, and those two little kids always freak me out.

Mary Freudstein: Mae, time to go home and remember your manners. Now that Bob is staying with us, be sure to treat him like a Freudstein. For other guests are surely destined to drop in.
Bob totally ruins it for me unfortunately.
Old 23rd October 2016, 07:44 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Bob totally ruins it for me unfortunately.
Be fascinated to see what you think of Shyamalans The Visit if you can ever be convinced to watch it.
Old 23rd October 2016, 09:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Yep, tho I'd give Beyond a 10 as I just love the bugger.
Old 23rd October 2016, 09:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Be fascinated to see what you think of Shyamalans The Visit if you can ever be convinced to watch it.
Not bloody likely!
Old 23rd October 2016, 09:52 PM
Cult Addict

The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave. 1971. Emilio Miraglia

Right then where to begin. There's a wealthy bloke called Alan. Lord Alan Cunningham to be precise. He lives in an old castle, most of which is a bit run down and decrepit, filled with cobwebs and straight out of one of Roger Cormans Poe adaps. Oddly though in the bowels of this gaff Lord Alan has a few rooms decked out ala Austin Powers shagpad, oh and yeah a sex dungeon...as one does.
Seems Lord Pervert caught his wife the Evelyn of the title cheating on him but before the poor bugger had chance to have his revenge she went and died in childbirth. Now he has no choice but to frequent various sleazy clubs and lure frisky redheads back to his place so he can punish them instead.
Then at a party he meets and falls for Gladys and all is well, except now his deceased wife decides to start playing silly buggers and rise from the grave, talk about timing.
I had a ball with this film, a bit of a mash of gothic melodrama, good old fashion giallo and Hitchcockian mind games. And it looks sumptuous, the camerawork is superb. Also given the central character and our hero for want of a better term is basically a sexually depraved killer (I think) it's a credit to the actor and director Emilio Miraglio that we are able to care about the guy, sort of. Arrows blu is ace too. Recommended.

Like this? Share it using the links below!