Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   Horror movies to avoid at all costs! (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/1381-horror-movies-avoid-all-costs.html)

gag 24th February 2011 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 131022)
I'm a big fan of Cronenberg
SHIVERS, RABID, THE DEAD ZONE (underrated), THE FLY, VIDEODROME, A DAY OF VIOLENCE, SCANNERS, THE BROOD. all brilliant
but not of EXISTENCE, DEAD RINGERS, SPIDER, M. BUTTERFLY, NAKED LUNCH (weird is an understatement), CRASH, EASTERN PROMISES

M Butterfly. Stereo, Crimes of the near future, Fast company Spider
Are the only films i yet to see by Cronenberg

I liked Eastern Promise and History of Violence was ok considering they are none horror...I just thought H O V was a bit short and could have been a bit longer and ending was a tadge let down and finished to quick and sudden.

Daemonia 25th February 2011 12:31 AM

Dead Ringers is a masterpiece in my opinion, one of Cronenberg's finest. It dissects the essence of realtionships, of kinship, of blood bonds and ultimately the breakdown of such things. It's also loosely based on a real case, which adds more depth to the story. I thought it was superb when I first saw it when it first came out and it remains one of my favourites from Cronenberg to this day. I put this up there with the likes of Videodrome and The Dead Zone.

Naked Lunch I can understand being rather inaccessible for most people, especially if they're not familiar with the source novel, which is, frankly, utterly unfilmable - it would be banned everywhere! If you think the film is weird, read the book. Naked lunch is a term that I think Allen Ginsberg said to Burroughs, it's that absolute clarity when you realise exactly what's on the end of your fork, hence the term 'naked lunch', seeing it for what it is, in other words. I think Cronenberg did a valiant effort in transferring the essence of the book, without actually being faithful to the story, such as it is, that is in the book. The book is actually less of a story and more a jumble of random ramblings, poltical ideas, sociological viewpoints, drug philosophy and some stark horror. Like I say, utterly unfilmable, some of the imagery in the book shocked even a hardened horror fan such as myself!

the blob 25th February 2011 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 131039)
Dead Ringers is a masterpiece in my opinion, one of Cronenberg's finest. It dissects the essence of realtionships, of kinship, of blood bonds and ultimately the breakdown of such things. It's also loosely based on a real case, which adds more depth to the story. I thought it was superb when I first saw it when it first came out and it remains one of my favourites from Cronenberg to this day. I put this up there with the likes of Videodrome and The Dead Zone.

Naked Lunch I can understand being rather inaccessible for most people, especially if they're not familiar with the source novel, which is, frankly, utterly unfilmable - it would be banned everywhere! If you think the film is weird, read the book. Naked lunch is a term that I think Allen Ginsberg said to Burroughs, it's that absolute clarity when you realise exactly what's on the end of your fork, hence the term 'naked lunch', seeing it for what it is, in other words. I think Cronenberg did a valiant effort in transferring the essence of the book, without actually being faithful to the story, such as it is, that is in the book. The book is actually less of a story and more a jumble of random ramblings, poltical ideas, sociological viewpoints, drug philosophy and some stark horror. Like I say, utterly unfilmable, some of the imagery in the book shocked even a hardened horror fan such as myself!

Wholeheartedly agree with Dead Ringers being a masterpiece and a very intense experience too. Naked Lunch I read a long long time ago and it'd definitely unfilmable but I thought Cronenberg captured the hallucinatory aspects well.

Have to say I really liked Eastern Promises too. Out of all his films, without seeing Spider and M Butterfly, the only real disappointment so far for me has been Existenz.

gag 25th February 2011 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 131039)

Totaly true ...got the book somewhere did read some of it few yr back ..the author William s Borroughs said he was so high on drugs when he wrote the book that few yr later when he was off them he tried reading his own book and had problems himself understanding it...

the blob 25th February 2011 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 131045)
Totaly true ...got the book somewhere did read some of it few yr back ..the author William s Borroughs said he was so high on drugs when he wrote the book that few yr later when he was off them he tried reading his own book and had problems himself understanding it...

William S. Burroughs was like a walking advert for drugs. Everyone will tell you 'don't do drugs or you'll die young' and there is a man who should never have lived to the age of 83!

Stephen@Cult Labs 25th February 2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 130992)
First one's alright if memory serves. Picked up UK DVD for a quid about two weeks ago. Didn't think much of second, never seen third.

I like the 2nd. The 3rd is actually pretty good as well, much better than the fourth, but the 1st is definately the best. Judd Nelson makes a very convincing psycho.

mr 420 25th February 2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 30707)
Yeah it probably works better as a comedy.

Saw Mad Foxes recently (not a horror film) but on par with Nailgun for sheer stupidity

Mad Foxes: The best so-bad-it's-absolutely-amazing film ever made. Absolute 100% trash classic. This film could never be made now.

b.m.fruen 26th February 2011 05:12 PM

I tried watching The forest the other day, but I only managed half an hour before I turned it off.
The howling 2,3 and 7 are unwatchable in my opinion.

Sargento 26th February 2011 08:47 PM

God I agree 100% on all those BM! Shockingly bad!

:rant:

James Morton 27th February 2011 10:39 AM

Horror movies to avoid at all costs!

Quote:

Originally Posted by b.m.fruen (Post 131441)
I tried watching The forest the other day, but I only managed half an hour before I turned it off.
The howling 2,3 and 7 are unwatchable in my opinion.

The only good thing about HOWLING 2 was Sybil Danning's repeated strip at the end!
Ah those tits!