Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   The Best Of British Horror Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/1480-best-british-horror-thread.html)

Vampix 23rd December 2010 02:36 AM

I'm surprised the excellent 10 Rillington Place is not included in the list, Richard Attenborough & John Hurt were superb in this grim, true life horror story.The film's depressing mood stayed with me for quite some time after viewing it.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd December 2010 03:17 PM

Yeah,I forgot a few when putting together that list Vamp,but feel free to add them.:nod:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd December 2010 03:19 PM

Like.....CRUCIBLE OF TERROR! :doh:

Vampix 16th February 2011 12:02 PM

I'm thinking of picking up the classic Death Line on DVD, but which is the best one to get - the UK Network DVD or the MGM R1? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Demoncrat 16th February 2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 118192)
Like.....CRUCIBLE OF TERROR! :doh:

oooh, mike raven...that beard, uuuhhh AHEM.
and nae NIGHT AFTER NIGHT AFTER NIGHT? or did someone mention that already? i voted for about 25 of these, ranging from all 3 Quatermass' to Tower of Evil...there is just SOMETHING about classic british horror...well i thought the uk Deathline i have had FAR more than the one i got off bbc2 years ago, though the other may be a nicer print...in fact im off to watch it again...!!

Vampix 16th February 2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 128588)
well i thought the uk Deathline i have had FAR more than the one i got off bbc2 years ago, though the other may be a nicer print...in fact im off to watch it again...!!

I've decided to go for the MGM R1 disc as it was a few pence cheaper than the UK one, and it has a trailer.I know the UK DVD goes under the better original title Death Line, but I quite like the Raw Meat title too.Apparently the UK DVD is slightly cropped, while the MGM retains the OAR. :)

Demoncrat 18th February 2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 128631)
I've decided to go for the MGM R1 disc as it was a few pence cheaper than the UK one, and it has a trailer.I know the UK DVD goes under the better original title Death Line, but I quite like the Raw Meat title too.Apparently the UK DVD is slightly cropped, while the MGM retains the OAR. :)

cest la vie...swapped mine for me Emmanuele and the last cannibals...a fair trade if ever haha, il keep eye out for the mgm 1 then!!
"...mind the doors..."

mr 420 18th February 2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 118191)
Yeah,I forgot a few when putting together that list Vamp,but feel free to add them.:nod:

Any chance of adding my favourite British horror film which is 'From Beyond the Grave'?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 18th February 2011 05:07 PM

Another forgotten gem off the list! :doh:

mr 420 18th February 2011 05:08 PM

No worries! After all, there are more than a few to choose from.

mr 420 18th February 2011 05:13 PM

While I'm at it, how about Hellraiser?:tongue1:

Vampix 18th February 2011 07:34 PM

Is Hellbound:Hellraiser 2 a Brit horror?

bdc 18th February 2011 08:38 PM

Yep :nod:

Vampix 23rd March 2011 02:43 AM

I'd have to add Death Line to my list of Brit horror favourites.I watched it at the weekend for only the second time.The first time I watched it was years back as part of the BBC's Halloween horror movie all-nighter.Donald Pleasence as Inspector Calhoun and Hugh Armstong as the subterranean cannibal man were brilliant! :cool:

Almar@Cult Labs 23rd March 2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 137814)
I'd have to add Death Line to my list of Brit horror favourites.I watched it at the weekend for only the second time.The first time I watched it was years back as part of the BBC's Halloween horror movie all-nighter.Donald Pleasence as Inspector Calhoun and Hugh Armstong as the subterranean cannibal man were brilliant! :cool:

I have a real soft spot for any film set on the London Underground - just aren't enough of them - it's one of the creepiest places around.

mr 420 23rd March 2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 137814)

The scene in which we find the cannibal's lair is sublime. The way the camera slowly pans across the room and floor to reveal body after body really spooked me out as a kid. The effects are top notch too (I'm thinking of the two bodies hanging on the wall and the spade in the head scene).

Vampix 23rd March 2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 137839)
The effects are top notch too (I'm thinking of the two bodies hanging on the wall and the spade in the head scene).

The cannibal man's diseased look and constant drooling was also pretty horrible.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd March 2011 04:06 PM

I wonder if the reason The Descent and Dog Soldiers get such high votes is because posters haven't actually seen too many of the real classics of British horror.
Or are they just not bloody enough in todays world.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd March 2011 06:31 PM

Why no Madhouse in the list?

The Vincent Price skull make-up is iconic

Demoncrat 7th April 2011 01:13 PM

well, is Fear is the Key a horror film?? Fear in the Night maybe...lists are always subjective DD, yours and mine would vary wildly im sure...

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th April 2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 137945)
Why no Madhouse in the list?

The Vincent Price skull make-up is iconic

Not a bad list from off the top of my head!
But as said earlier,if you see your favourite not listed,then feel free to plug it!:)

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 141372)
Not a bad list from off the top of my head!
But as said earlier,if you see your favourite not listed,then feel free to plug it!:)

Its a brilliant list.

Your head must be bloody huge if all that came off the top of it. :lol:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th July 2017 07:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great news this!

What's everyone's favourite episode?

Demoncrat 25th July 2017 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 543506)
Great news this!

Mark Of Satan.
Such a deranged piece of television.
I could pick quite a few ... but this is the one I always return to ;)

gag 25th July 2017 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 141470)
Its a brilliant list.

Your head must be bloody huge if all that came off the top of it. :lol:

What like this in his thinking pose .

nosferatu42 25th July 2017 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 543506)
Great news this!

'Two faces of evil' was the episode that i always seemed to catch on TV repeatedly when they showed the series and it always freaked me out as a kid.
Still my favourite episode, my second favourite is 'The silent scream' with Peter Cushing.
Love this series.:nod:

Demoncrat 26th July 2017 12:06 AM

Twas Silent Scream I always used to catch myself. Love the theme. I tunelessly whistle it as a default. I needs to get out more :laugh:

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th July 2017 10:42 AM

My faves are Children of the Full Moon and Witching Time.

Probably as they are nearer to good old Gothic horror than the rest of the stories.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 27th July 2017 05:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A Visitor from the Grave,Witching Time and The Two Faces of Evil are 3 of my favourites.I enjoyed them all tbh!

Some right fruity moments for back in the day eh?:lol:

SilverSurfer 27th July 2017 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 543864)

Some right fruity moments for back in the day eh?:lol:

Mmmmmmmm Suzanne Danielle in Carpathian Eagle (in the centre pic )

also starred Pierce Brosnan before he hit the big time.