Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Which kind of giallo do you like best?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Which kind of giallo do you like best?

Like Tree1336Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th July 2014, 08:54 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Where's the best place to order this if you're in the UK? I see Diabolikdvd has copies but it seems crazy to buy a European release from the US.
Old 7th July 2014, 09:07 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRange View Post
Where's the best place to order this if you're in the UK? I see Diabolikdvd has copies but it seems crazy to buy a European release from the US.
Shipping is expensive, but it's good and I've never been stung by customs when ordering from them.
MrRange likes this.
Old 7th July 2014, 01:24 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Shipping is expensive, but it's good and I've never been stung by customs when ordering from them.
Yeah, I know they're a good and reliable store, but as it's a European release it seems like it is being sent to the states and then being sent back. Is there nowhere in Europe that you can order these releases?
Old 7th July 2014, 01:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Yeah, I know they're a good and reliable store, but as it's a European release it seems like it is being sent to the states and then being sent back. Is there nowhere in Europe that you can order these releases?
I've had several Camera Obscura releases from a bloke who also sells on Ebay. Tell me which titles you're after and I'll ask him if he has any copies in stock. The guy is based in the UK.

Last edited by g053584398; 7th July 2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 7th July 2014, 02:17 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Kult Video used to sell Camera Obscura titles. I haven't used them in a while but it may be worth checking them out in case.

DTM are also a possibility, although I hear that their shipping costs have increased quite a bit fairly recently.
Old 7th July 2014, 02:24 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by g053584398 View Post
I've had several Camera Obscura releases from a bloke who also sells on Ebay. Tell me which titles you're after and I'll ask him if he has any copies in stock.
Thanks for the offer but I have just placed my order on Diabolikdvd.

Edit: Actually, my order with Diabolik didn't go through because another order I wanted it sent with has already been shipped. I'm looking for The Killer Reserved Nine Seats on Blu Ray if he has it?

Last edited by MrRange; 7th July 2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 7th July 2014, 03:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Thanks for the offer but I have just placed my order on Diabolikdvd.

Edit: Actually, my order with Diabolik didn't go through because another order I wanted it sent with has already been shipped. I'm looking for The Killer Reserved Nine Seats on Blu Ray if he has it?
I'll let you know when he replies.
MrRange likes this.
Old 8th July 2014, 02:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The guy that I buy them from says the DVD will cost £26 and the Blu Ray £28. He should be taking delivery of the Blu Ray very soon and already has the DVD version in stock.
Old 10th July 2014, 06:48 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I watched the Camera Obscura release of L'assassino ha riservato nove poltrone (The Killer Reserved Nine Seats) and thought I'd post some thoughts here.

More of a character heavy piece that is a take on the classic 'ten little Indians' tale, the pace at first is quite slow as we are introduced to all our players and their various personalities and vices. It is only around the 30 minute mark where things start to pick up as the group get locked inside the theatre and are picked off one by one by our masked and caped killer. In amongst this there are sordid adultery-laden sub-plots with a fair amount of nudity.

Despite my above simplified premise, there is no denying that the film has a unique charm to it. It not only plays out as a giallo but also a supernatural thriller tinged with a gothic air... you can also see how Soavi borrowed on some of the tropes for his Stagefright. I thoroughly enjoyed the film overall and would urge fans of the genre who maybe haven't seen it to check it out. My only regret is that I didn't watch it in the dark... which would certainly make for a creepier environment and would have also enhanced one of the film's biggest positive factors: the creepy deserted theatre setting.

As for the disc transfer, it is exquisite - as you would expect from this label. I watched it with the Italian audio track and everything was crisp and clear. I quickly flicked through the English dub once I'd finished the film and aside from the usual dodgy dubbing of some of the main characters it was also a great sounding track.
Pete, g053584398 and Rondadoronron like this.
Old 10th July 2014, 07:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I watched the Camera Obscura release of L'assassino ha riservato nove poltrone (The Killer Reserved Nine Seats) and thought I'd post some thoughts here.

More of a character heavy piece that is a take on the classic 'ten little Indians' tale, the pace at first is quite slow as we are introduced to all our players and their various personalities and vices. It is only around the 30 minute mark where things start to pick up as the group get locked inside the theatre and are picked off one by one by our masked and caped killer. In amongst this there are sordid adultery-laden sub-plots with a fair amount of nudity.

Despite my above simplified premise, there is no denying that the film has a unique charm to it. It not only plays out as a giallo but also a supernatural thriller tinged with a gothic air... you can also see how Soavi borrowed on some of the tropes for his Stagefright. I thoroughly enjoyed the film overall and would urge fans of the genre who maybe haven't seen it to check it out. My only regret is that I didn't watch it in the dark... which would certainly make for a creepier environment and would have also enhanced one of the film's biggest positive factors: the creepy deserted theatre setting.

As for the disc transfer, it is exquisite - as you would expect from this label. I watched it with the Italian audio track and everything was crisp and clear. I quickly flicked through the English dub once I'd finished the film and aside from the usual dodgy dubbing of some of the main characters it was also a great sounding track.
It sounds like another great release from Camera Obscura. I just wish their releases were less expensive.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!