Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree620Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th March 2015, 12:09 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I will have my review for White Zombie done tonight. I was hoping to have the Blu Ray before doing it but I still have not gotten around to ordering it so we will press ahead with one of the five terrible looking versions I have on DVD.
Old 24th March 2015, 12:27 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
I will have my review for White Zombie done tonight. I was hoping to have the Blu Ray before doing it but I still have not gotten around to ordering it so we will press ahead with one of the five terrible looking versions I have on DVD.
Due to the source(s) available, the Blu-ray(s) does not look much better.
Old 24th March 2015, 12:29 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Due to the source(s) available, the Blu-ray(s) does not look much better.
Cheers no point upgrading in that case.
Old 24th March 2015, 09:16 PM
Cult Master

Small delay until tomorrow night it was painful watching the dvds i have of White Zombie i could barely hear it let alone see it the PQ was so bad. My mate has a better copy well so he says so ill get that tomorrow and see how i go. Maybe Blu Ray has me spoilt but i do not remember it looking or sounding so bad.
Old 24th March 2015, 10:45 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Hey Nordy, keep this going mate, I am enjoying reading these being a huge fan and you've covered some films I have not seen and now need to, so its working. Efforts appreciated.
Old 24th March 2015, 10:48 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo rosso View Post
Hey Nordy, keep this going mate, I am enjoying reading these being a huge fan and you've covered some films I have not seen and now need to, so its working. Efforts appreciated.
Thank you very much means a lot. I'm really enjoying doing it even if I'm a bit on the slow side. Thanks for taking the time to read the posts.
profondo rosso likes this.
Old 27th March 2015, 09:37 PM
Cult Master

White Zombie 1932

Madeleine and Neil are a young couple very much in love and while in route to be married they make the acquaintance of Charles Beaumont who has developed a fascination with Madeleine a fascination that soon turns to a twisted obsession. Beaumont hatches a plan to get Madeleine away from Neil by convincing them to have their wedding at his mansion. When Beaumont makes his intentions known to Madeleine she rejects his advances but Beaumont will stop at nothing to make Madeleine his wife. In an act of desperation Beaumont pays a visit to a witch doctor named Legendre (Lugosi) who turns the locals into zombies to work at his mill. Beaumont wants Legendre to transform Madeleine into a zombie so he can have her forever. After Madeleine is given the potion and turns into a zombie Beaumont is less than pleased with her lack of emotion and response towards him. Once again Beaumont must turn to Legendre for help and begs him to turn her back into the woman he loves. Legendre is not a man to be bargained with and soon Beaumont finds himself under the mind powers of Legendre himself. Meanwhile Neil is convinced by local priest Dr. Bruner that Madeleine is still alive and under the influence of Legendre and so begins his journey to save his beloved fiancé.

White Zombie is a beautifully shot highly atmospheric under appreciated horror classic. Bela Lugosi plays the role of the witch doctor perfectly having a stare that convinces you that he would be capable of the mind control that he uses to influence his army of zombies. I know people say its just lighting on his eyes and he does the stare in every film but its more than that his whole demeanor emanates evil .There are some really fantastic shot throughout from the funeral at the start to the zombies walking across the hill tops in the distance. The zombies are not your typical decaying zombies we are used to these zombies are a result of voodoo and have a much more terrifying look about them with their vague distant stares into the distance.

Its only a shame that the print of the versions I own are so bad the sound jumps all over the place and sometimes it even disappears for a few seconds at a time. I should not complain too much as we are lucky that we can watch it at all after it was taught to be lost until it was re discovered in the 60s.

Film 8/10

02.jpg 46e2c9202f6c7a90e4_dhm6bnf2e.jpg 129812860_white-zom_420546c.jpg bellamy-in-white-zombie.jpg movies_20_greatest_zombie_flicks_19.jpg murder-legendre-1.jpg vlcsnap-2013-06-15-22h37m02s29.jpg White Zombie_025716_orig.jpg whitezombie1932_95704_678x381_09272013040255.jpg white-zombie3.jpg White-Zombie-1932.jpg white-zombie-eyes.jpg
Old 27th March 2015, 10:04 PM
Cult Master

Next up will be

Old 27th March 2015, 10:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Excellent review Nordy.

Keep up the great work.
Nordicdusk likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!