All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree620Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th August 2022, 10:38 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
My God! You didn't like Dark Eyes of London? I thought it was a really good with a beautifully subtle performance from Bela, miles away from his usual hamminess.

You are the first person i've seen not do so. The film is a lost gem and Network's Blu-ray looks really good and the extras and package are superb.

Still i suppose we can't like everything. But i'm still surprised all the same.
Every review i read said more or less the same as you so not sure why i didnt enjoy it. Maybe it was the bloody awful quality of the Youtube video or the fact a had a nightmare fishing trip today . I might get a look of the blu ray from my mate and see if a more watchable copy helps.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 27th August 2022, 10:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Every review i read said more or less the same as you so not sure why i didnt enjoy it. Maybe it was the bloody awful quality of the Youtube video or the fact a had a nightmare fishing trip today . I might get a look of the blu ray from my mate and see if a more watchable copy helps.
The Blu-ray is a lovely package. An embossed slipcase. It has no BBFC clutter at all. Perfectly clear front, back and spine. The PG is simply a sticker on the cellophane. (It's not actually shown in the photo as an art card obscures it. lol.

There's also a booklet and six beautifully glossy art cards with the stars on one side and different movie posters from around the world on the reverse. Plus there's a commentary and half hour interview with Kim Newman and Stephen Jones which are worth the entrance fee alone.

For a Lugosi fan it's an excellent package and selling for the bargain price of £11.50 direct from Network - or at least that's what i paid for it as a pre-order.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0009 (Medium).jpg (93.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 29th August 2022, 11:20 AM
Cult Master

MV5BNTg0OTEyNjg2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODkyODE0MjE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Bela's next outing was along side Greta Garbo in this romantic comedy. Honestly not expecting much screen time for Bela which is usually the case in these film but it will still be interesting to see how he handles the role regardless of importance to the film.
Old 29th August 2022, 02:19 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Attachment 241898

Bela's next outing was along side Greta Garbo in this romantic comedy. Honestly not expecting much screen time for Bela which is usually the case in these film but it will still be interesting to see how he handles the role regardless of importance to the film.
I have the R1 DVD of Ninotchka. It's a beautifully written and very enjoyable romantic comedy, extremely well directed by Ernst Lubitsch. Greta Garbo and Mervyn Douglas are wonderful in the lead roles, so I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 29th August 2022, 03:11 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I have the R1 DVD of Ninotchka. It's a beautifully written and very enjoyable romantic comedy, extremely well directed by Ernst Lubitsch. Greta Garbo and Mervyn Douglas are wonderful in the lead roles, so I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Hopefully ill get to watch it tonight. Does Bela play much of a role?
Old 29th August 2022, 04:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Hopefully ill get to watch it tonight. Does Bela play much of a role?
Can't see his name anywhere on the poster you showed. Going off the large synopsis on Wiki sounds like a one scene job from Lugosi.
Old 29th August 2022, 07:02 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Can't see his name anywhere on the poster you showed. Going off the large synopsis on Wiki sounds like a one scene job from Lugosi.
That's what i was expecting but if he is in it at all ill have to watch it.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 29th August 2022, 10:05 PM
Cult Master

0c7d1c365305cdd19fda166e0d88df3c.jpg

A female Russian diplomat is sent to Paris after a telegram arrives in Moscow from the previous group sent to over see the sale of Jewels seized from Russian nobles by the state but the contents of the telegram doesn't sit well with Moscow. Ninotchka is a stern serious women who doesn't mess around and won't take any nonsense from anyone who will come between her and the progression of mother Russia. But there is a snag Ninotchka wasn't counting on falling in love with the man trying to secure the jewels from the very people the jewels were seized from.

I was pleasantly surprised by this film i judged it straight away when i saw romantic comedy but i was so wrong. This was one of those films that instantly had me hooked the comedy was natural nothing cheesy or forced no one was acting stupid to create a laugh. The three Russian male diplomats were genuinely funny with their amazement between the differences of Russia and Paris having the freedom to just enjoy themselves the highlight was the party they help in the royal suite of the hotel and they get the cigarette girls up to the room their cheers really made me laugh out loud .

It Greta Garbo that steals the whole film she is wonderful and her character was very funny while she was in stern mode making her love interest really work hard for her affections really putting him through the mill especially in the restaurant and joke scene very funny and beautifully acted. The is some great chemistry between Greta Garbo and Melvyn Douglas who plays Leon i was really taken in my their blossoming romance.

Dem was right in the money saying Bela would most likely be in one scene i think he was on screen for a max 2 minutes its very hard to even judge his performance having only a few lines.

Regardless this was a wonderful film to watch and honestly something i would never have watched if it wasn't for Bela which has taught me once again to be more open minded.

Definitely recommend if your up for some romance and a bit of a giggle.
Old 29th August 2022, 10:12 PM
Cult Master

MV5BZDc2OGIwZWItZmUxMy00MmEwLTlhYmEtMDJhMDlmZmVjNmY4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzY4MjI1MQ@@._V1_.jpg

Next up is this Mystery/Detective film fingers crossed Bela has a bigger role and if not hopefully its half as good as the previous film.
Demoncrat and trebor8273 like this.
Old 30th August 2022, 10:13 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'm really pleased you enjoyed Ninotchka as much as I hoped you would, Nordy. It's a real treat and you've given it a great write-up.

Like this? Share it using the links below!