Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Music (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=279)
-   -   The Alice Cooper Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/music/11713-alice-cooper-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd September 2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 586800)
A poor review from Classic Rock Magazine of the new live Paranormal album

"It may seem like a contradiction in terms, but the fact that there are no surprises here is a surprise in itself. The last Alice Cooper album, Paranormal (the one the tour’s named after) was a bit of a critically- acclaimed Bob Ezrin-produced cracker, but how many tracks from it are on here? None. The Paranormal album and tour featured guest appearances from the original Alice Cooper band (aka the proper Alice Cooper band). Are they on here? No, sir, they are not.

What we do have is an in-form version of Alice’s latest incredibly adept band of dazzling session players. A band to whom his fanbase have little emotional attachment, playing the same songs every other incarnation of Alice Cooper’s band have been playing live and releasing on live albums for decades. The audience? Just another prop. Evidently ecstatic, but there’s no interaction, no humanity, no warmth. School’s rarely sounded quite so out."

It makes me wonder of the reviewer, Ian Fortnam, had a copy of the record at hand, or whether he just doesn't actually know what he is writing about. Admittedly it's only one song, but the last time I looked at the track listing, the 'Paranormal' album was represented!

The whole tour has seemed like a con to me. It's name suggests songs off the new album are being played hence the tour having the same title as the studio album. To have only one new song on the live album doesn't really make it of interest to any long term non-hardcore fans because like myself they probably own the bulk of the material on every single other live album / dvd.

Susan Foreman 7th September 2018 11:17 AM

Michael Myers, [no, not that one - the comedian] appeared at the Beacon Theater in New York last night (September 8th) paying homage to Alice during the 'School's Out' encore

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th September 2018 10:57 PM

A PARANORMAL EVENING AT THE OLYMPIA, Alice's new live album charted at # 64.

That's a higher chart placing than studio albums Dirty Diamonds, Dragontown, The Eyes of Alice Cooper, Dada, Special Forces and From the Inside achieved in the UK.

Susan Foreman 10th September 2018 06:49 AM

Alice has just finished the first leg of the current tour

There will now be a short break before it resumes on October 4th, in Albany, New York

Maybe there will be some interesting set changes made... but I doubt it!

Susan Foreman 11th September 2018 02:30 PM

Strange!

Why has a 'Hollywood Vampires' pop-up shop been scheduled for Tower Records in Japan?

They are not on tour at the moment, so maybe this has something to do with the mysterious (and long awaited) second album?

Susan Foreman 13th September 2018 06:42 AM

1977 fan club advert!

SymbioticFunction 13th September 2018 10:18 AM

I don't know what a pop up shop is. What is it?

Susan Foreman 13th September 2018 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 587843)
I don't know what a pop up shop is. What is it?

"Pop-up retail is a retail store that is opened temporarily to take advantage of a trend or a seasonal product. Demand for products sold in pop-up retail is typically short-lived. Pop-up retail stores are found most often in the clothing and toy industries."

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/pop-up-retail.asp

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th September 2018 02:47 PM

Calendar Club is a typical UK example of a pop up shop. You'll find them 'popping up' all over the place in Arndale's and malls through November.

Justin101 13th September 2018 02:55 PM

It's a big thing in Japan, they do it for all kinds of things, and because they are for a limited time they do BIG business and everything sells out. I've already been told that were are visiting one in Tokyo for an Anime TV show I've never watched :lol: