Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Music (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=279)
-   -   What Are You Listening To? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/music/534-what-you-listening.html)

Frankie Teardrop 17th August 2012 11:09 PM

Dig that harp.

Frankie Teardrop 17th August 2012 11:14 PM

Way better than the 'official video'.
Are you out there, Jarrow Bob?

jarrow bob - YouTube

Make Them Die Slowly 17th August 2012 11:20 PM

A pre Rice Rose.

Strawberry Switchblade -- Since Yesterday - YouTube

Frankie Teardrop 17th August 2012 11:25 PM

One of my fave songs of all time, MTDS.

Here's a Rice Rose in return:

Spell - "Johnny remember me" (1993) - YouTube

Make Them Die Slowly 17th August 2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 266813)
One of my fave songs of all time, MTDS.

Here's a Rice Rose in return:

Spell - "Johnny remember me" (1993) - YouTube

That's very pretty, is it the song or this version that you like?

Frankie Teardrop 17th August 2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 266815)
That's very pretty, is it the song or this version that you like?

Oh, I actually meant 'Since Yesterday' - always a chart topper in my post nuclear holocaust sitting room (apparently that's what the song's about).
As for Spell's cover of 'Johnny...' I actually prefer the orginal. Though I always like Boyd's attempts at crooning. Could've used more Rose McD, though.
It's a real shame she doesn't do more stuff. Some of it's brilliant and needs to be more available.

Frankie Teardrop 18th August 2012 12:00 AM

Thought I'd finish with another of my all time faves before I go and watch something rubbish on Lovefilm.

Kate Bush Wuthering Heights. - YouTube

Make Them Die Slowly 18th August 2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 266817)
Oh, I actually meant 'Since Yesterday' - always a chart topper in my post nuclear holocaust sitting room (apparently that's what the song's about).
As for Spell's cover of 'Johnny...' I actually prefer the orginal. Though I always like Boyd's attempts at crooning. Could've used more Rose McD, though.
It's a real shame she doesn't do more stuff. Some of it's brilliant and needs to be more available.

I don't really know much of Rose's stuff, but she's a name that crops up a lot in my rooting around in the UK occult music scene.

As to early 80s pop music, it totally passed me by, me being in my own little world of punk rock nuclear threat gloom at the time.

Frankie Teardrop 18th August 2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 266821)
I don't really know much of Rose's stuff, but she's a name that crops up a lot in my rooting around in the UK occult music scene.

As to early 80s pop music, it totally passed me by, me being in my own little world of punk rock nuclear threat gloom at the time.

Whenever I've seen records by her they've always been really expensive / deleted / rare etc. But she's done some really great solo stuff over the years, some of which is on YouTube. Of course, she hung out with Tibet and I think was involved musically with C93for a bit.
Early 80s pop was just a vague cloud of oppressive glitz around my earlyish childhood, but I remember some of it had a really bleak vibe. Like, I recall being scared shitless by a Godley And Creme track, although it pains me to say it. Now various strands of retro keep bringing it back on various levels for better or worse... personally, I love digging through all that stuff now, there are some occasionally bizarre nuggets.

Make Them Die Slowly 18th August 2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 266824)
Whenever I've seen records by her they've always been really expensive / deleted / rare etc. But she's done some really great solo stuff over the years, some of which is on YouTube. Of course, she hung out with Tibet and I think was involved musically with C93for a bit.
Early 80s pop was just a vague cloud of oppressive glitz around my earlyish childhood, but I remember some of it had a really bleak vibe. Like, I recall being scared shitless by a Godley And Creme track, although it pains me to say it. Now various strands of retro keep bringing it back on various levels for better or worse... personally, I love digging through all that stuff now, there are some occasionally bizarre nuggets.

Keep posting the songs when you find them as it's an area of music which is totally alien to me even though I was a teenager in the early 80s. As to 80s pop music I do like, I have a major fixation on Dexys Midnight Runners which started about 5 years ago and won't let up.

Dexys Midnight Runners -There, there my dear - YouTube