Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The German/French DVD and Blu-ray Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/1017-german-french-dvd-blu-ray-thread.html)

Daemonia 10th February 2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zane (Post 320608)
Yes. Solid picture quality. And it has two versions of the movie.

Anguish | Blu-ray: AT vs. DVD: US

Cheers for that. Looks like I'll be picking this up soon then. :)

Linbro 11th February 2013 01:52 AM

Recently picked up the German BD releases of 'Absentia' and 'Yellow Brick Road'. Haven't watched yet, but can check the pq & aq if you're interested?
Have to say, the service from amazon.de was outstanding - those discs had a loooong way to travel, and they landed in about a week.

Zann 11th February 2013 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 320728)
Some good recommendations going on here. I can't seem to find Videodrome or Mark of the Devil on Amazon.de, so where can they be had from?

D&T Mailorder Shop

oaxaca 11th February 2013 06:48 AM

Here are the German blu rays I have in my collection and wouldn't be without:

THE LAUGHING POLICEMAN (mathau - 1973)
CUBA (connery - 1979)
THE SEVEN UPS ( scheider - 1973)
BLACK RAIN STEELBOOK (ridley scott - 1989)
THE NAKED FACE (roger moore / cannon - 1984)
SALVADOR (oliver stone - 1986)
AGAINST ALL FLAGS (flynn / o'hara - 1952)
SECRET OF SANTA VITTORIA (anthony quinn - 1969)

HAUNTING OF HELL HOUSE (roddy mcdowell - 1973)
PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (robert englund - 1989)
SILVERSADDLE (fulci - 1978)
NAVAJO JOE (corbucci - 1966)
THE BIG GUNDOWN DIGIBOOK (sollima - 1966)
DEATH RACE 2000 (corman/carradine - 1975)

nekromantik 11th February 2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 320739)
Here are the German blu rays I have in my collection and wouldn't be without:
HAUNTING OF HELL HOUSE (roddy mcdowell - 1973)

Shame all the current DVD and one Blu release of this is the edited version.
Would have liked to seen the uncut version shown theatrically back in 73.

Roughale 11th February 2013 12:16 PM

Seems like I have to give y'all a short history lesson: Germany and Austria are no longer one (and thank God for that, if I may add that ;))

The problem with german DVDs / BDs is that we have a ridiculous censorship going on here, nicely camouflaged under the youth protection label, since censorship is not allowed here, based on bad experiences during the dark ages (yeah, exactly, when Germany and Austria were still united! :clap:) - but we have a lot of people who would pay anything to get a German dubbed version of a film - hence the many shops in Austria with all the big editions for sometimes pretty astronomical prices.

My tip to most here, since I do not think you need the German dub: Avoid German releases as they might be cut (check www.ofdb.de yeah, it is in German, but in the list of versions for a film, you can see a scissors symbol for the cut versions!) and avoid the Austrian releases if they are too expensive...

I am really amused as I hunt the world for editions to avoid our crap, or the dung from the alps next door :pound: But yeah, some fine stuff gets released here once every other moon - that TCM release really is a beauty and the fight the label fought for it was excellent!

Zann 11th February 2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roughale (Post 320789)
Seems like I have to give y'all a short history lesson: Germany and Austria are no longer one (and thank God for that, if I may add that ;))

The problem with german DVDs / BDs is that we have a ridiculous censorship going on here, nicely camouflaged under the youth protection label, since censorship is not allowed here, based on bad experiences during the dark ages (yeah, exactly, when Germany and Austria were still united! :clap:) - but we have a lot of people who would pay anything to get a German dubbed version of a film - hence the many shops in Austria with all the big editions for sometimes pretty astronomical prices.

My tip to most here, since I do not think you need the German dub: Avoid German releases as they might be cut (check www.ofdb.de yeah, it is in German, but in the list of versions for a film, you can see a scissors symbol for the cut versions!) and avoid the Austrian releases if they are too expensive...

I am really amused as I hunt the world for editions to avoid our crap, or the dung from the alps next door :pound: But yeah, some fine stuff gets released here once every other moon - that TCM release really is a beauty and the fight the label fought for it was excellent!

Don't be so hard on your homegrown and neighbour grown :) There have been a number instances where German or Austrian releases have been the only way to go. I still remember how pleased I was to get an English language DVD of Anthropophagous over ten years ago on the Astro label...and then there's the Guinea Pig box set, Deranged, the 156min novelty Dawn (albeit auf Deutsch) and many others.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th February 2013 08:42 PM

DON'T touch the German BD of Carpenter's Vampires.
As I found out to my cost....:laugh:

The Limey 11th February 2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 320960)
DON'T touch the German BD of Carpenter's Vampires.
As I found out to my cost....:laugh:

The French release on the other hand is superb.

Prince_Vajda 11th February 2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Limey (Post 320975)
The French release on the other hand is superb.

Yep. An excellent release. :nod:

Sent from my I9100 Galaxy S II via Tapatalk 2