Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The 88 Films Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/11297-88-films-thread.html)

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 02:54 PM

No idea. I think the idea of an RRP is silly, especially when a disc is first released. They should say "this is the price, end of".

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 02:58 PM

As far as I'm aware, most releases have three prices:
– a dealer listing price, which is how much a retailer pays for the unit
– a recommended retail price, which is how much the distributor thinks the retailer should charge and
– the actual price the customer pays

This may not be the case with all labels, but it's how it is laid out on the press releases from Eureka, for example.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 436766)
As far as I'm aware, most releases have three prices:
– a dealer listing price, which is how much a retailer pays for the unit
– a recommended retail price, which is how much the distributor thinks the retailer should charge and
– the actual price the customer pays

This may not be the case with all labels, but it's how it is laid out on the press releases from Eureka, for example.

For example, a DLP could be £12.56, the RRP is £19.99 and the price on the shelves is £14.99. The customer thinks the price has been reduced by £5, the retailer makes a profit of £2.43 and, if the unit costs £8 in total, then the label makes £4.56 for each one sold to HMV/Amazon etc.

I'm pretty sure someone in the industry would be up to give a better example, or even correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding.

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 03:10 PM

88 Films Upcoming releases

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 436768)
For example, a DLP could be £12.56, the RRP is £19.99 and the price on the shelves is £14.99. The customer thinks the price has been reduced by £5, the retailer makes a profit of £2.43 and, if the unit costs £8 in total, then the label makes £4.56 for each one sold to HMV/Amazon etc.

I'm pretty sure someone in the industry would be up to give a better example, or even correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding.

Bloody hell! That makes the £7.99 price HMV sell 88's discs for, even more ludicrous!

DayzeUK 22nd February 2015 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 436768)

Based on what has been posted.

That would mean 88 films are selling blurays to HMV for £1 odd if we are to believe that they only make £1 odd off each sale.

Or, worst deal ever, they sell to HMV who then set the price and send £1 odd per copy sold to 88 films.

It just doesn't make sense how HMV can sell so low but 88 Films dont get a proper share. Surely 88 Films make their money before HMV even receive their copies to sell.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 436769)
Bloody hell! That makes the £7.99 price HMV sell 88's discs for, even more ludicrous!

I have no idea if those figures are quoted are accurate now, but they seem to be about what I remember from the Masters of Cinema releases from several years ago.

You could probably knock £7-£8 off and change the numbers slightly – I was only getting a 'for example', rather than a definitive explanation of how the industry works.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 04:15 PM

I always thought the retailer ordered X amount of discs at a set fee payable to the distributor, say £5 a disc, then sell them for whatever they wanted.

I can find out as i know someone who ran an indie record shop for several years before he was sold the business.

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 436773)
I always thought the retailer ordered X amount of discs at a set fee payable to the distributor, say £5 a disc, then sell them for whatever they wanted.

I can find out as i know someone who ran an indie record shop for several years before he was sold the business.

That's the thing, I'm sure there are different ways different companies do it. I just want them to sell American Ninja ar a reasonable price so they can get a decent profit if they put them all in individual blu-ray cases :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 436778)
That's the thing, I'm sure there are different ways different companies do it. I just want them to sell American Ninja ar a reasonable price so they can get a decent profit if they put them all in individual blu-ray cases :lol:

With your cover designs. ;)

I read your post yesterday. :lol:

platostotal 22nd February 2015 05:16 PM

Quote:

Yep, sounds spot on, just like if you buy something it's then up to you what you sell it for, I'll tempt fate and say the retailer makes a bigger profit margin than the supplier, so if HMV sell a BD for £7.99 or £17.99 the amount of profit will always be biased in their favor.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 436780)
Yep, sounds spot on, just like if you buy something it's then up to you what you sell it for, I'll tempt fate and say the retailer makes a bigger profit margin than the supplier, so if HMV sell a BD for £7.99 or £17.99 the amount of profit will always be biased in their favor.

Especially with the massive companies as retailers who bulk order say, Guardians of the Galaxy, get better deals the more they order.

J Harker 22nd February 2015 05:32 PM

But the fact 88 say they weren't making much profit on those Toxie exclusives suggests that HMV weren't doing it that way.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 436783)
But the fact 88 say they weren't making much profit on those Toxie exclusives suggests that HMV weren't doing it that way.

It all depends on the deal that took place between the two parties. Something that we aren't party to therefore is just pointless speculation.

:focus:

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 436786)
It all depends on the deal that took place between the two parties. Something that we aren't party to therefore is just pointless speculation.

:focus:

Indeed.

Did everyone see the final list of extras for next months release of Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers?

*Bonus additional feature - LINNEA QUIGLEY'S HORROR WORKOUT (SD) - UK premiere of this Kenneth Hall (PUPPET MASTER) directed classic workout spoof!
*Bonus HORROR WORKOUT audio commentary from Kenneth Hall
*Audio Commentary for HOLLYWOOD CHAINSAW HOOKERS from director Fred Olen Ray moderated by David DeCoteau
*Audio commentary for HOLLYWOOD CHAINSAW HOOKERS with Calum Waddell, director of SLICE AND DICE: THE SLASHER FILM FOREVER, and Justin Kerswell, author of TEENAGE WASTELAND: THE SLASHER FILM UNCUT
*Remembering HOLLYWOOD CHAINSAW HOOKERS - 27 Years Later. Newly produced Featurette.
*Archive 'making of' documentary.
*Collector's Booklet featuring an in depth, career-spanning interview with HOLLYWOOD CHAINSAW HOOKERS star Gunnar Hansen, conducted by Calum Waddell.
*Reversible sleeve.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 436791)
Indeed.

Did everyone see the final list of extras for next months release of Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers?

*Bonus additional feature - LINNEA QUIGLEY'S HORROR WORKOUT (SD) - UK premiere of this Kenneth Hall (PUPPET MASTER) directed classic workout spoof!
*Bonus HORROR WORKOUT audio commentary from Kenneth Hall
*Audio Commentary for HOLLYWOOD CHAINSAW HOOKERS from director Fred Olen Ray moderated by David DeCoteau
*Audio commentary for HOLLYWOOD CHAINSAW HOOKERS with Calum Waddell, director of SLICE AND DICE: THE SLASHER FILM FOREVER, and Justin Kerswell, author of TEENAGE WASTELAND: THE SLASHER FILM UNCUT
*Remembering HOLLYWOOD CHAINSAW HOOKERS - 27 Years Later. Newly produced Featurette.
*Archive 'making of' documentary.
*Collector's Booklet featuring an in depth, career-spanning interview with HOLLYWOOD CHAINSAW HOOKERS star Gunnar Hansen, conducted by Calum Waddell.
*Reversible sleeve.

That Horror Workout is a real bonus. The dvd's go for silly money nowadays.

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 07:02 PM

I'll definitely be doing the workout!

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 436793)

I don't think you'll be alone. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOatSGi5IIg

JAMIOUSE 22nd February 2015 07:15 PM

I don't think what you two have in mind is a workout!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 07:21 PM

They are awesome extras.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 436793)

It'll help you lose the beer weight!

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 07:36 PM

The only thing I don't see there, is the trailer. Hope they've just forgot to list it, as it's a pretty good one.

http://youtu.be/fdblzhyOfy8

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 436797)
They are awesome extras.

It'll help you lose the beer weight!

:lol: Thanks! :)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 08:40 PM

Quote:

This is how I believed it worked too (I actually used to be a buyer myself so know a little about it).

Obviously the price point with the supplier can generally be negotiated depending on how many units you take and this will therefore effect your profit per unit sold. I'm also guessing that the 'big boys' such as Amazon have a lot of sway in determining a distributors own selling price, as if you are under-cutting them they will simply turn around and state they won't be ordering as many units or ask for them at a lower price. I think this is a reason why Arrow stopped undercutting Amazon's pre-order prices because at the end of the day, Amazon control the market in terms of e-sales and probably have a massive sway over the prices that these niche indie distributors charge - at least at the pre-order level.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 10:12 PM

I guessed there was something along the lines of a 'bulk buyer' discount, but it seems it's basically powerful retailers bullying distributors.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd February 2015 01:03 PM

The newest additions to 88's slasher collection (Mother's Day and Slaughterhouse) are apparently selling for £8.99 in HMV - that's if you can find a store that stocks them of course! ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd February 2015 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 436869)
The newest additions to 88's slasher collection (Mother's Day and Slaughterhouse) are apparently selling for £8.99 in HMV - that's if you can find a store that stocks them of course! ;)

That's insanely cheap!

Stephen@Cult Labs 23rd February 2015 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 436871)
That's insanely cheap!

It is. Especially when HMV sell comparable Arrow blu-rays for around £15. And as suspected, the RRP is £19.99 on these. Crazy.

J Harker 23rd February 2015 01:37 PM

Neither of them in my local branch. Although at £8.99 I'd have snapped them up.

J Harker 23rd February 2015 01:40 PM

For a while a year or so back new Arrow blus were very reasonable in HMV. I picked The Car up for £8 and Squirm for £11. The Usher and Time Bandits Steelies were cheaper than anywhere else. Then People under The Stairs was £19.99! And they've been dear there ever since.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd February 2015 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 436872)
It is. Especially when HMV sell comparable Arrow blu-rays for around £15. And as suspected, the RRP is £19.99 on these. Crazy.

When you consider Amazon are selling them for £14, HMV being cheapest is like entering some bizarro alternate universe!

plasterface 23rd February 2015 02:26 PM

score

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 436869)

i got em in newcastle branch, mothers day was strangely hid behind slaughterhouse

Stephen@Cult Labs 23rd February 2015 02:42 PM

What's even more bizarre, is that someone was told Don't Go In The Woods is £12.99 in HMV.

JAMIOUSE 23rd February 2015 05:48 PM

No sign of 88's new releases in HMV York but that isn't anything new, I have noticed that indie labels don't always appear until a Tuesday. They also didn't have The Avengers Series 4 on Blu which really pissed me off for some reason.

Prince_Vajda 24th February 2015 01:07 PM

Just received a small parcel from 88 Films. I placed my order on Thursday afternoon, they dispatched on Friday, and it already arrived this Tuesday. That's brilliant, especially as I live in mainland Europe.

As the prices in their online shop are also competitive, I fully recommend ordering directly from 88 Films.

Rik 24th February 2015 01:45 PM

88 Films Upcoming releases

1 Attachment(s)
Wonder what this can be!

Attachment 157520

Edit: not sure if my pic has loaded. Basically, they're releasing the ultimate nasty on the Italian range, no mention of what or when yet

Steel76 24th February 2015 01:50 PM

I hope it´s "Absurd".
The movie have never gotten the disc release it deserves.

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th February 2015 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 436973)
Wonder what this can be!

Attachment 157520

Edit: not sure if my pic has loaded. Basically, they're releasing the ultimate nasty on the Italian range, no mention of what or when yet

I wonder!

Hawkmonger 24th February 2015 01:55 PM

Anthropopagus? Cannibal Ferox? :pray:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th February 2015 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 436977)
Anthropopagus? Cannibal Ferox? :pray:

Grindhouse are going to release Cannibal Ferox, so it could be that.

Rik 24th February 2015 02:06 PM

Zombie Flesh Eaters:The Definitive Boat Edition!

Hawkmonger 24th February 2015 02:09 PM

No! Lets not start that again!