Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The 88 Films Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/11297-88-films-thread.html)

Dave 16th November 2023 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 692863)
What are the chances Evil Dead Trap will be uncut? Will all previous cuts be waived?

Hopefully, I have the Unearthed BD and the subtitles are drastically out of sync in certain scenes so I’ll be eager to pick this up if it’s uncut and subtitles are in sync. With 'House on the Edge of the Park' getting released uncut you’d think this should definitely pass through unscathed.

J Harker 16th November 2023 12:36 PM

Quote:

Some bizarre choices there like Loch Ness, S.W.A.T. and Mosquito Squadron.

Although i'm delighted about Mosquito Squadron.

What are the chances Evil Dead Trap will be uncut? Will all previous cuts be waived?

As for Witchfinder General and Blood on Satan's Claw. I'll be sticking with my Screenbound Blu's which look glorious anyway. Especially as Claw is missing the League of Gentlemen commentary.

It is a very eclectic mix isn't it. I'm quite pleased to see Loch Ness get a blu release though. Hardly Cult Labs material I know but it's an old fave I haven't seen for many years.
Like you I've no intention of upgrading Witchfinder or Claw, the screenbound releases are more than adequate.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th November 2023 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 692866)
It is a very eclectic mix isn't it. I'm quite pleased to see Loch Ness get a blu release though. Hardly Cult Labs material I know but it's an old fave I haven't seen for many years.
Like you I've no intention of upgrading Witchfinder or Claw, the screenbound releases are more than adequate.

I'd like Loch Ness as well but seeing as it's pretty much a bare bones release i'd only get it when greatly reduced from the £17 it's up at now.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th November 2023 02:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The artworks for the two Tigon Films and Gold are gorgeous. Other labels could definitely learn something from them.

Susan Foreman 16th November 2023 03:16 PM

"House on the Edge of the Park - Update

Hi, thanks everyone for your patience. We are so nearly there now with finishing off the House on the Edge of the Park replacement disc. We have final check discs in hand and they are being tested for compatibility while I type this.

This project has turned out to be a far bigger one for us than we initially envisioned. The mistakes on the first release are inexcusable, but they were also SOO frustrating, at least 4 different people viewed those initial discs and no issues were raised with the audio...... mistake number 1

The cropping we did notice but were unable to obtain another master from our supplier as were told that it was necessary due to stabilisation, so we figured it would be ok........ mistake number 2.....

Anyway, what happened happened, we put out a sub par product that judging from the reviews an awful lot of people were still very happy with, but we didn't want to leave it like that, especially after we had issues with Hell of the Living Dead at the same time.

So, we managed to finally obtain access to the negative scans and discovered to our dismay they were done on a blackmagic scanner and we would be fighting a uphill battle to improve upon the first master. So we took the decision with the very kind permission of our licensor and their agent to move the negative to another facility with a pin registered scanner. After receiving those and verifying we definitely had the full frame to work with we went ahead and commissioned a bran new from the ground up restoration and Dolby Vision grade which thankfully, we're over the moon about.

So this is a heads up to explain why the replacement discs will look so different to the first incarnations and also why it's taken so long. We have definitely lost a lot of money on this release but we really want you to be able to experience this landmark film the way it should be....... finally.

Thanks for your support and patience."

Susan Foreman 16th November 2023 03:23 PM

Apparently 'Evil Dead Trap'. 'Evil Dead Trap 2' and 'Tokyo Decadence' are all uncut

Steel76 16th November 2023 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 692864)
I have the Unearthed BD and the subtitles are drastically out of sync in certain scenes

Yeah, that was extremely annoying.

I also hope there's a more stable bitrate, on the 88 disc.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th November 2023 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 692871)
Apparently 'Evil Dead Trap'. 'Evil Dead Trap 2' and 'Tokyo Decadence' are all uncut

According to DVD Compare, the ArrowDrome Tokyo Decadence DVD is uncut, so it would be surprising if that changed for an upcoming Blu-ray release.

https://www.dvdcompare.net/compariso....php?fid=14964

Steel76 16th November 2023 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 692861)
The Amityville Horror
https://amzn.eu/d/1iX5K1p - 4k
https://amzn.eu/d/bqw68nZ - Blu-ray

I really hope they release a 4K of Amityville 2, in the near future.
Which too me, is far superior, and I love the sleaze :D

If they can also locate and include the deleted footage, I would be a very happy man.

From Wiki:
After director Damiano Damiani's original cut of the film was shown to test audiences, several scenes had to be cut out for various reasons, one of them being the negative reaction of the audience to a scene in which Anthony anally rapes Dolores and another scene in which Sonny and Patricia have incestuous sex. This scene was added into the script by Damiani who wanted to really upset the viewers. The original scene was much more graphic and sexual, while in the movie it cuts to the next scene almost immediately after Sonny starts kissing Patricia. Some other deleted scenes were shown on lobby cards and stills for the movie, such as a scene in which Anthony is sitting outside the house drinking and cleaning a gun and a scene where Jan is pushing Mark's head under the water while he is in the bathtub. The theatrical trailer also shows a shot of Jan and Mark looking at the window and holding hands. The only deleted scene which was ever released in some form is the so-called "Lost Souls" scene, originally from near the end of the movie, in which souls that are within the house appear in front of Adamsky and he blesses them. No actual footage was released but a UK special collector's edition DVD includes several stills from this deleted scene

Rob4 16th November 2023 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 692868)
The artworks for the two Tigon Films and Gold are gorgeous. Other labels could definitely learn something from them.

Agreed :clap:

Are these original artworks? Hard to believe, they are so good...

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th November 2023 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 692877)
Agreed :clap:

Are these original artworks? Hard to believe, they are so good...

Totally new. The one for Mosquito Squadron is excellent too but that is from it's original poster.

nicholasrope 16th November 2023 06:11 PM

Quote:

Some bizarre choices there like Loch Ness, S.W.A.T. and Mosquito Squadron.

Although i'm delighted about Mosquito Squadron.

As for Witchfinder General and Blood on Satan's Claw. I'll be sticking with my Screenbound Blu's which look glorious anyway. Especially as Claw is missing the League of Gentlemen commentary.

TBH, it's good that they have a wide range of genres and they have released films like Couch Trip and Once Upon A Crime.

SWAT isn't really all that bizarre considering they've done Miami Vice and the Van Damme Films.

Apparently they've done a deal with Unearthed Films and after taking a look on their website, I can see that there could be issues with the BBFC over some of their titles.

Do wonder if No Escape and Dark Side Of The Moon may be upcoming soon

Dave 16th November 2023 06:19 PM

The 88 Films Thread

1 Attachment(s)
In response to a question asking if 'Evil Dead Trap' is uncut.

Attachment 248826

will graham 16th November 2023 11:49 PM

Didn't signal one release Gold not that long ago or did it get canned?

Not sure there's much I'll buy tbh but in full agreement about some of those covers.
Pretty much all the new artwork that r as good or better then the original are always 88 releases. Should read on the artists they use.

peter alex 17th November 2023 12:23 AM

no it was postponed by signal 0ne

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th November 2023 10:18 AM

It's a very eclectic range of films in the announcement, which I've been thinking about.

I'll probably upgrade Count Dracula from DVD to 4K Ultra HD and, even though I don't think it's a great film, I will probably do the same with The Amityville Horror (I have the US four film collection).

It would make sense to rewatch the A Blade in the Dark Blu-ray (The Italian Collection release from 2015) again to see if that's something I want to upgrade to 4K as well.

I'm unsure whether the Screenbound Blu-ray release of Blood on Satan's Claw can be bettered with a 4K picture, but I'm not ruling out upgrading for better AV quality and new extras. Witchfinder General fits into this category as I am happy with the Odeon Entertainment Blu-ray I have.

I've never seen Gold, The Inspector Wears Skirts 2, Street Law, The Beauty of Beauties, So Close, Evil Dead Trap, Evil Dead Trap 2, Loch Ness, or The Mosquito Squadron, so some of those might find their ways into my collection.

As I have the ArrowDrome Tokyo Decadence DVD, it's another one to rewatch before deciding whether I like it enough to upgrade to Blu-ray.

The one I am least likely to buy is S.W.A.T., a film I saw years ago when I won the DVD in a competition and then sold it because I thought it was rubbish, would never watch it again, and would prefer to have some money!

Stephen@Cult Labs 17th November 2023 04:23 PM

I actually liked Loch Ness so i'll pick that up. Same with S.W.A.T. and So Close.

Susan Foreman 23rd November 2023 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 692861)
Night of the Comet

Cover design

Susan Foreman 14th December 2023 05:09 PM

"'House on the Edge of the Park' / 'Hell of the Living Dead' Replacement Update

Important notice

Stock will be with us later this week for the replacement UHD and Blu-ray of House on the Edge of the Park.

Please send your old discs in or email us with proof of purchase before 22/12. We will make 1 main ship out of House of the Edge of the Park, and also those who missed the first Hell of the Living Dead shipout, in very early January.

If you somehow miss this, 1 final shipout will be made on 31st March 2024. After this the scheme closes.

Thanks for your patience."

peter alex 14th December 2023 08:15 PM

88films are releasing project A 1 & 2 on 4K UHD in the US sometime next year.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th December 2023 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 693035)

https://i.imgur.com/mtEztJg.gif

SymbioticFunction 16th December 2023 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 692901)
I've never seen Gold, The Inspector Wears Skirts 2, Street Law, The Beauty of Beauties, So Close, Evil Dead Trap, Evil Dead Trap 2, Loch Ness, or The Mosquito Squadron, so some of those might find their ways into my collection.

The first Evil Dead Trap film is brilliant, I highly recommend picking it up. I'm sure you'd rate it. Japanese horror with influences from Dario Argento (it has a kinda Goblin-esque electronic score and some set-piece deaths) and David Cronenberg. btw I don't like the sequel at all so be very much warned about that one.

peter alex 18th December 2023 03:40 PM

88films have night of the comet up on their website and there is only
a trailer and a still gallery on the disk and nothing else.

J Harker 18th December 2023 04:05 PM

I've had the Arrow blu ray for years and not watched it yet.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th December 2023 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter alex (Post 693738)
88films have night of the comet up on their website and there is only
a trailer and a still gallery on the disk and nothing else.

Asking 17 quid for it too. A joke, especially with that shit artwork.

Rob4 18th December 2023 08:31 PM

The Arrow is a good transfer with extras. The 88 seems a waste of time if you've already got it.

Steel76 18th December 2023 08:52 PM

What the hell is up with that new store? when I click on the Evil Dead Trap link, it just returns me to the front page.
Guess it's not finished yet?
The old store was minimalistic, but I prefered it.

Guess it's yet another store, redesigned for phones...

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th December 2023 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 693751)
The Arrow is a good transfer with extras. The 88 seems a waste of time if you've already got it.

I am more than happy with the Arrow Video release and am not going to double-dip for a film I don't regularly watch.

will graham 18th December 2023 10:32 PM

I can only assume it was part of a packaged mgm deal.

Nordicdusk 21st December 2023 06:29 AM

I have only ever watched Night Of The Comet a couple of times and while i like the film id never double dip even to upgrade to 4K so this is definitely a no no and it offers absolutely nothing different. You would probably pick up the arrow release for half nothing now anyway.

Sent from my Nokia C01 Plus using Tapatalk

peter alex 21st December 2023 11:03 AM

and 88films April US release as been leaked and it's Project A 1&2 which is soooo damn irritating since we in the UK won't know what they are releasing until the end of march which is even more irritating.:xmashumbug:

Susan Foreman 11th January 2024 03:54 PM

It seems that 88Films are talking about / considering 're-opening the 88 Vault' sub-label again

will graham 11th January 2024 10:53 PM

Looking at what most of the requests r, there's no point adding a sub-label just keep releasing cult movies from the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Susan Foreman 25th January 2024 07:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
First announced 25th March, 2023...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 683549)
88Films are going to be releasing an 'A Blade In The Dark' (1983) 4K UHD / Blu-Ray combo sometime in the future

...and it's still 'coming along well' !

will graham 29th January 2024 11:15 PM

On the 88 films website is artwork for the dolph lundgren Masters of the Universe.
I know umbrella r about to release this too so I'm guessing same features if/whatever they r.

I'm guessing director Gary Goddard won't be interviewed since he's been accused of being part of that same pedo group that Brian singer and Brian peck were part of and since then Anthony Edwards (of top gun and E.R) wote a blog claiming he abused him as well as others coming forward and saying the same.

Still, There's quite a large group of other names that have worked on the film that I'm sure will be up for discussing how broke cannon was when making it.

Susan Foreman 6th February 2024 12:21 PM

"Q2 Announcements coming soon!

Including 5 new UHD’s, 2 of which add to our growing Italian UHD collection"

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th February 2024 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 695603)
"Q2 Announcements coming soon!

Including 5 new UHD’s, 2 of which add to our growing Italian UHD collection"

I hope they're all subject to a thorough quality control process so there isn't any need for another disc replacement programme!

Susan Foreman 8th February 2024 11:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
88Films have updated their profile on FB

People are mentioning Jean-Claude in the comments, so I assume the picture is from 'The Quest' (1996)

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th February 2024 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 695640)
88Films have updated their profile on FB

People are mentioning Jean-Claude in the comments, so I assume the picture is from 'The Quest' (1996)

Idiots!

That's Crossplot.

The Quest is a historical film. Moore has a beard and tache in it.

Justin101 8th February 2024 11:16 AM

The Quest is currently in print with 101 films as well :D