Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The 88 Films Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/11297-88-films-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th April 2015 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 445146)
Zombi 3! Well that came as a surprise.

Of course it did. ;)

Stephen@Cult Labs 17th April 2015 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 445149)
Of course it did. ;)

:lol:

DayzeUK 17th April 2015 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blinkant (Post 445140)
Just announced zombie flesh eaters 2

A little weekend surprise from 88 Films.

I'm in, just pre-ordered.

Free postage for pre-orders!!!

Antropophagus 17th April 2015 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 445148)
Is this the one with the recycled jeep footage from Zombi?

I can never remember. They all blend into one when you haven't watched them for a couple of years.

All except Killing Birds Zombie 4. That's just bad...and not in a good way.

That's Zombie Holocaust.

TJ Doc 17th April 2015 07:58 PM

I've always wanted to see the refrigerated, levitating zombie head in HD.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th April 2015 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DayzeUK (Post 445160)
I'm in, just pre-ordered.

Free postage for pre-orders!!!

I've preordered as well. The film may not be the best, but there is an excellent selection of extra features and, if my memory serves, the Q&A with Catriona MacColl, which was filmed at the Spaghetti Cinema Festival last year, was really good.

DayzeUK 17th April 2015 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 445165)
I've preordered as well. The film may not be the best, but there is an excellent selection of extra features and, if my memory serves, the Q&A with Catriona MacColl, which was filmed at the Spaghetti Cinema Festival last year, was really good.

Could do with a commentary though, i do love a good commentary track :pop2:, it can be the difference between regular repeat viewings or not for me.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th April 2015 08:36 PM

The Paura documentary is a nice addition to the set for those who haven't seen it.

keirarts 17th April 2015 11:47 PM

Definitely ordering myself a copy. Will retain my Shriek show DVD for the commentary track.

Susan Foreman 18th April 2015 12:13 AM

From FaceBook:

"High Rising Productions

After six years of working in a business that has gradually eroded our sanity, we are proud to announce that High Rising Productions will soon be no more.

Thanks to 88 Films for, over the past year, giving us a new injection of enthusiam (and then seeing their slasher line inspire, with titles aggresively bid upon, by a label which expressed no previous interest in such films to us and has, clearly, suddenly noticed fan interest in this 'disreputable' genre. This is not a criticism per se as we are happy for the fans.).

We also have to thank, in particular, Bob at Grindhouse Releasing for restoring our faith in what we do and giving us much needed pep talks over the years. This man has an Oscar and is a great example of a good, humble, encouraging personality.

Our last project is a new UK edition of INVADERS OF MARS from Final Cut Entertainment. We'll confirm more details soon.

As always, thanks to our supporters. The biggest delight of High Rising was also the one we never publicised or took responsibility for - bringing some of your favourite acquisitions back to UK shelves. Whilst trolls were trolling, we have been - for six years - suggesting and locating rights holders for movies that otherwise may never have seen the light of day in HD."

plasterface 18th April 2015 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 445212)
From FaceBook:

"High Rising Productions

After six years of working in a business that has gradually eroded our sanity, we are proud to announce that High Rising Productions will soon be no more.

Thanks to 88 Films for, over the past year, giving us a new injection of enthusiam (and then seeing their slasher line inspire, with titles aggresively bid upon, by a label which expressed no previous interest in such films to us and has, clearly, suddenly noticed fan interest in this 'disreputable' genre. This is not a criticism per se as we are happy for the fans.).

We also have to thank, in particular, Bob at Grindhouse Releasing for restoring our faith in what we do and giving us much needed pep talks over the years. This man has an Oscar and is a great example of a good, humble, encouraging personality.

Our last project is a new UK edition of INVADERS OF MARS from Final Cut Entertainment. We'll confirm more details soon.

As always, thanks to our supporters. The biggest delight of High Rising was also the one we never publicised or took responsibility for - bringing some of your favourite acquisitions back to UK shelves. Whilst trolls were trolling, we have been - for six years - suggesting and locating rights holders for movies that otherwise may never have seen the light of day in HD."

Boy this kicked things off on facebook if that aint a criticism of arrow I dont know what is, i'll miss the quality of their extras

Vampix 18th April 2015 04:27 PM

I'm betting Zombie Flesh-Eaters 2 is nowhere near as good as Fulci's classic original ZFE (I've never seen ZFE2). I am curious about the film though so will probably pick it up, along with 88's Zombie Holocaust, Anthropophagus and Burial Ground BDs. :nod:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th April 2015 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 445296)
I've never seen Zombie Flesh-Eaters 2, but I'm betting it's nowhere near as good as Fulci's classic original ZFE. I am curious about the film though so will probably pick it up, along with Zombie Holocaust, Anthropophagus and Burial Ground. :nod:

It's not. It was also only directed by Fulci in part, with Bruno Mattei (Hell of the Living Dead) and Claudio Fragasso (Troll 2) stepping in to the directors chair. Whilst you can feel Fulci's influence here and their throughout the film it definitely feels more like one of the latter two directors' work - i.e. cheesy as hell. :D

plasterface 18th April 2015 04:39 PM

zf2

best bit is head flying out of fridge, i am prob the only person hoping they release zombie creeping flesh :pound:

Vampix 18th April 2015 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 445300)
It's not. It was also only directed by Fulci in part, with Bruno Mattei (Hell of the Living Dead) and Claudio Fragasso (Troll 2) stepping in to the directors chair. Whilst you can feel Fulci's influence here and their throughout the film it definitely feels more like one of the latter two directors' work - i.e. cheesy as hell. :D

In that case I'll probably enjoy it as I'm a big fan of Hell of the Living Dead. :)

Nordicdusk 18th April 2015 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasterface (Post 445305)
best bit is head flying out of fridge, i am prob the only person hoping they release zombie creeping flesh :pound:

I'd buy Zombie Creeping Flesh. It's a bit of fun.

Vampix 18th April 2015 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasterface (Post 445305)

You're definitely not the only person. I'd be well up for a Blu-ray release of Zombie Creeping Flesh. :nod:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th April 2015 04:50 PM

Blue Underground have released ZCF (as Hell of the Living Dead as a double feature with Rats: Night of Terror), but I too would be up for a Blu of this one from 88. I actually prefer ZCF to Zombie Holocaust.

Tombsy666 18th April 2015 05:35 PM

I purchased the Blue Underground pairing blu of both Hell of the living dead & Rats night of terror and would definitely buy Zombie creeping flesh (I guess it will be under this title) again if 88 we're to add this to their Italian range.. so how about it 88 :woot:

JAMIOUSE 20th April 2015 05:56 PM

Super happy that 88 are releasing Zombi 3, I think it was the second Fulci film that I ever saw after The House by the Cemetery. Fingers crossed for Zombi 4 / After Death is on the schedule too. I wonder why Arrow never looked into putting Zombi 3 out, the rights were obviously available.

Kid Fist 22nd April 2015 05:58 PM

88 Films, What Gives?

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasterface (Post 445270)
Boy this kicked things off on facebook if that aint a criticism of arrow I dont know what is, i'll miss the quality of their extras

Does anyone know what the hell is going on here? The High Rising post was pulled after a few hours claiming that everyone had got the wrong end of the stick and today 88 posted this on Twitter:

@88_Films: STATEMENT IN REGARDS TO RECENT CONFUSION

Some of you might have read the comments by one of our former partners...

Needless to say that by the time I'd clicked the link it was dead. Is there some in fighting going on here?

JAMIOUSE 22nd April 2015 06:24 PM

I don't know whats going on but it's odd that 88's post from this morning has been deleted. I posted a response to 88 when it appeared on FaceBook this morning, then an hour later it was gone.

Calum Waddel isn't everyones favourite person, personally I'm indifferent towards him and High Rising. Some of the extras they produced were very good a lot of their earlier work had titles that seemed to go on forever though. From what I understand Calum has helped 88 secure a fair few of the upcoming Slasher and Italian titles.

I think the whole problem stems from Calums post on Saturday were he maybe got a few things off his chest, like hinting that Arrow had no interest in slasher films before 88's releases started to be noticed and making money. That said Arrow have moved away from what they originally started releasing back in the day, yes they still put out Bava titles but they have tried to go more up market with European arthouse etc.

It's an odd situation but 88 have an excellent roster of titles coming out including many wanted releases like Zombi 3.

JAMIOUSE 22nd April 2015 06:55 PM

I personally find it a bit odd to boycott a whole label because you don't like someone they employ or does freelance work for them. I know from here and Lovelock that Calum has pissed off a lot of cult film fans over the years but that's not a reason to boycott a whole label. But there you go...

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd April 2015 06:56 PM

AMERICAN NINJA sturdy box shipped!:thankingyou:

Mojo 22nd April 2015 07:02 PM

I've no idea what is going on, but Arrow and 88 films are by far my two favourite labels at the moment. There's room for both - so I hope it all gets sorted out. :peace:

plasterface 22nd April 2015 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Fist (Post 446195)
Does anyone know what the hell is going on here? The High Rising post was pulled after a few hours claiming that everyone had got the wrong end of the stick and today 88 posted this on Twitter:

@88_Films: STATEMENT IN REGARDS TO RECENT CONFUSION

Some of you might have read the comments by one of our former partners...

Needless to say that by the time I'd clicked the link it was dead. Is there some in fighting going on here?

OK here's my view on things I could be wrong. Dr Waddell seemed to be dining on sour grapes . He seemed annoyed pesky old Arrow had'nt heeded his film recommendations how very dare they. I dunno maybe at the time arrow was knee deep in negotiations with mgm at the time or pursuing other things but he aint the head of arrow so they can do what they like. Secondly it seemed he was saying oh arrow only want horror titles now that 88 have been doing well with em, which does'nt hold weight with me as arrow has always had their dirty fingers in the horror pie. They now bring out a wider range genres but are still bringing out new horror titles. And its a free market two quality labels bringing out similar films is a win /win for the fans. I think the doctor may sadly a victim of his own ego, i remember him sulking about empire's review for his robocop book but forgetting to say he was author. Egotism seems to an ailment quite a few british cult film critics/experts suffer from, to be paid to write about films you love and meet your heroes . They should count themselves lucky. Anyhoo the original post disapeared as people apparently misread it and he was'nt trying to start a label war. Things seemed to get a bit nasty on facebook as not everyone is as nice as us labbers. anyway thts my tuppence worth :cowboy:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 22nd April 2015 08:52 PM

Here's the full statement for those who are curious:

Quote:

STATEMENT IN REGARDS TO RECENT CONFUSION
Some of you might have read the comments by one of our former partners at High Rising Productions on their Facebook page. These comments have been pulled down down but they seem to have been interpreted in all sorts of wild ways.
Firstly, those comments were not sanctioned by us and were not pre-approved or anything like that at all. The first we knew about them was when people started tweeting about them.
Secondly, we are not packing up, folding, winding down or anything of the like. It is true that the guys at High Rising have helped us out with numerous aspects of our business over the last 9 month but we were an established business before they came along and we will continue now that relationship has ended.
Thirdly, we apologise that all this dirty linen has been aired in public, these were private issues and they should have remained chart way. The only result was that they would have caused confusion, worry and would damage our reputation that we have worked very hard to build….. and look what happened!
Fourthly, a few people are contacting us about the whereabouts of the American Ninja set with the slipcase. This was supposed to be in stock last week but our manufacturer are very slow at the moment as they have taken on a load of extra work and this has affected turnaround times. We have been assured that they will be with us TODAY though. The three of us here will be very busy packing all of your orders this afternoon and we will endeavour to get as many as possible out to you today.
I have no idea why 88 took it down though. It all seems a little odd.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 22nd April 2015 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 446228)
Here's the full statement for those who are curious:

I have no idea why 88 took it down though. It all seems a little odd.

Well, when I was typing this they answered my question for me:

Quote:

We just decided it didn't need to be there for long. And already there was some misinterpretation and assuming we were not getting along with people and so on and so forth. So, phew, we're done with commenting on anything!

To All A Goodnight - there's some rights issues going on. We will keep everyone posted.

Sorry about this - on the plus side, American Ninja is shipping now and we're really proud of it. We know High Rising is thrilled that one of the last documentaries they were involved in also happens to be one as strong as this!

Calum 23rd April 2015 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE (Post 446197)
I don't know whats going on but it's odd that 88's post from this morning has been deleted. I posted a response to 88 when it appeared on FaceBook this morning, then an hour later it was gone.

Calum Waddel isn't everyones favourite person, personally I'm indifferent towards him and High Rising. Some of the extras they produced were very good a lot of their earlier work had titles that seemed to go on forever though. From what I understand Calum has helped 88 secure a fair few of the upcoming Slasher and Italian titles.

I think the whole problem stems from Calums post on Saturday were he maybe got a few things off his chest, like hinting that Arrow had no interest in slasher films before 88's releases started to be noticed and making money. That said Arrow have moved away from what they originally started releasing back in the day, yes they still put out Bava titles but they have tried to go more up market with European arthouse etc.

It's an odd situation but 88 have an excellent roster of titles coming out including many wanted releases like Zombi 3.

I don't try and polarise people deliberately!

Calum 23rd April 2015 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasterface (Post 446226)
OK here's my view on things I could be wrong. Dr Waddell seemed to be dining on sour grapes . He seemed annoyed pesky old Arrow had'nt heeded his film recommendations how very dare they. I dunno maybe at the time arrow was knee deep in negotiations with mgm at the time or pursuing other things but he aint the head of arrow so they can do what they like. Secondly it seemed he was saying oh arrow only want horror titles now that 88 have been doing well with em, which does'nt hold weight with me as arrow has always had their dirty fingers in the horror pie. They now bring out a wider range genres but are still bringing out new horror titles. And its a free market two quality labels bringing out similar films is a win /win for the fans. I think the doctor may sadly a victim of his own ego, i remember him sulking about empire's review for his robocop book but forgetting to say he was author. Egotism seems to an ailment quite a few british cult film critics/experts suffer from, to be paid to write about films you love and meet your heroes . They should count themselves lucky. Anyhoo the original post disapeared as people apparently misread it and he was'nt trying to start a label war. Things seemed to get a bit nasty on facebook as not everyone is as nice as us labbers. anyway thts my tuppence worth :cowboy:

Get a grip. It is comments like this that make me glad to be leaving this behind.

Vampix 23rd April 2015 01:53 PM

I'm just glad that 88 Films and Arrow Video exist and I will continue to buy releases from both companies. Keep up the good work! :)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd April 2015 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasterface (Post 446226)
I could be wrong.

I think the doctor may sadly a victim of his own ego, i remember him sulking about empire's review for his robocop book but forgetting to say he was author. Egotism seems to an ailment quite a few british cult film critics/experts suffer from, to be paid to write about films you love and meet your heroes . They should count themselves lucky.

You are wrong. Calum is one of the most down to earth and friendly people I have met at screenings and festivals, and has almost no ego about the work he did, both seen and unknown.

Anyway, enough about individuals, let's try and stick to the releases, whether past, present or future.

:focus:

Andra Jai 23rd April 2015 04:35 PM

Just got a dispatch email from amazon saying that my American Ninja set is on the way. At £16 (pre-order price) this is likely to be one of my best blu-ray bargains so far (even though I only like 2 of the films and find one passable)

Anyway, at least I know what I'll be watching when everyone else is watching Britains Got Talent this weekend

Rik 23rd April 2015 04:39 PM

From 88's Facebook page earlier

"Update on the American Ninja Collection with Slipcase
Unfortunately we have had yet another small delay with the American Ninja box set. These were supposed to arrive last Friday, then they were supposed to arrive yesterday but some issue at the channel tunnel caused them to be returned to the Czech Republic. We have been given assurance that they will now arrive tomorrow at midday. Thank you so much for your patience with this matter.
Also some of you will have had dispatch notifications, this is generated when we print the address labels which we did yesterday in anticipation of the stock arriving.
Once again our apologies for the wait. We do think you'll be happy with them when they finally arrive though as the samples look cracking. We normally dispatch 2nd class but these will be sent out 1st class in an effort to expedite the deliveries."

DayzeUK 23rd April 2015 04:52 PM

Amazon will have the non exclusive/cheaper version its only the exclusive thats delayed.

Rik 23rd April 2015 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DayzeUK (Post 446313)
Amazon will have the non exclusive/cheaper version its only the exclusive thats delayed.

Thanks, I thought I might've been wrong, I've edited my post accordingly :nod:

Stephen@Cult Labs 23rd April 2015 04:57 PM

Yep, I'm chomping at the bit to get my blu-rays. Hopefully they get the slipcases in tomorrow. P.S. I'll be watching Britain's Got Talent regardless. :lol:

Stephen@Cult Labs 25th April 2015 10:05 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Received my American Ninja set today. Looks bloody good. And fyi for those interested, the discs are actually coded for region A & B. So those in region A land, get American Ninja bought. :)

Attachment 162080Attachment 162081Attachment 162082Attachment 162083

J Harker 25th April 2015 11:55 AM

Am i right in thinking that the actual amarays that sleeve are exactly the same as the individual releases Stephen?

Stephen@Cult Labs 25th April 2015 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 446550)
Am i right in thinking that the actual amarays that sleeve are exactly the same as the individual releases Stephen?

Yeah it's the exact same ones.