Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The 88 Films Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/11297-88-films-thread.html)

Rob4 4th May 2024 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 698458)
I didn't think the Screenbound release of NOTBH was abysmal. To say it's an obscurity from a tiny production company in Planet Films then i'm not sure what you'd be expecting.

Edit - Just had a look. It's got a bit of print damage. A 2K restoration would be nice if they do then it's one i want for sure as is Pumpkinhead II. Wonder what happened to Pumpkinhead itself?

Screenbound releases were generally good, but for NotBH, for whatever reason, they used what looks like a print rather than the OCN or at least something closer to the source like an interpositive. Hopefully, 88 will get better materials. I have a soft spot for the movie after seeing several TV airings as a youngster and it would be nice to see it in the best presentation possible.

I wonder if 88 will do a re-release of Island of Terror? Wasn't the previous UK release the cut version? I have the US release which is uncut.

Also speaking of Planet, I don't think Devils of Darkness has ever had a BR release. It would be good for UK horror completists to have that one on the shelf in HD.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th May 2024 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 698468)

Also speaking of Planet, I don't think Devils of Darkness has ever had a BR release. It would be good for UK horror completists to have that one on the shelf in HD.

Devils would be great as would Witchcraft. A movie i have paired with Devils on a Midnite Movies dvd.

Directed by Don Sharp and starring Jack Hedley and Lon Chaney Jr, i really like it, much more than Devils of Darkness. Despite being a British film it was made by Lippert Pictures not Tigon so can understand why it's not in the Tigon Collection from 88.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th May 2024 10:53 PM

Just a heads up if anyone's interested.

Skinned Alive is a very low budget Texas Chainsaw style gore film that borders on silly comedy. I have the Film 2000 dvd from years ago.

I've seen the dvd a couple of times but it's not the sort of thing i'd upgrade to Blu-ray.

nosferatu42 4th May 2024 11:15 PM

Well that sounds right up my street.:lol:

Rob4 5th May 2024 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 698476)
Devils would be great as would Witchcraft. A movie i have paired with Devils on a Midnite Movies dvd.

Directed by Don Sharp and starring Jack Hedley and Lon Chaney Jr, i really like it, much more than Devils of Darkness. Despite being a British film it was made by Lippert Pictures not Tigon so can understand why it's not in the Tigon Collection from 88.

This is a list of movies that were produced by Tigon:

Mini Weekend (1967)
The Sorcerers (1967)
The Blood Beast Terror (1968)
Witchfinder General (1968)
Love in Our Time (1968)
Curse of the Crimson Altar (1968)
The Body Stealers (1969)
What's Good for the Goose (1969)
The Haunted House of Horror (1969)
1917 (1970)
Monique (1970)
Zeta One (1970)
Black Beauty (1971)
The Beast in the Cellar (1971)
The Blood on Satan's Claw (1971)
Hannie Caulder (1971)

The Magnificent Seven Deadly Sins (1971)
Virgin Witch (1972)
Doomwatch (1972)
Au Pair Girls (1972)
Neither the Sea Nor the Sand (1972)
The Creeping Flesh (1973)

Orange - released or announced by 88 under the Tigon sub-label

I guess it's unlikely we would get The Creeping Flesh as I understand it is partially owned by Kevin Francis

A couple of the others - Virgin Witch & Haunted House of Horror already have special editions from Screenbound

Probably we can expect a re-release of The Blood Beast Terror and there's a good chance of Zeta One.

I'd really like to see Niether the Sea Nor the Sand upgraded to BR.

I'm not sure what the commercial viability of the rest would be?

EDIT: I think its with Sony in the US, so I wonder if Indicator would consider a US only release of the The Creeping Flesh once Mill Creek's rights have lapsed? Just an idea for Michael Brooke to kick around maybe? ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th May 2024 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 698491)
Well that sounds right up my street.:lol:

Yeah at a quid for the dvd. Not ?18 on Blu.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th May 2024 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 698493)
This is a list of movies that were produced by Tigon:

Mini Weekend (1967)
The Sorcerers (1967)
The Blood Beast Terror (1968)
Witchfinder General (1968)
Love in Our Time (1968)
Curse of the Crimson Altar (1968)
The Body Stealers (1969)
What's Good for the Goose (1969)
The Haunted House of Horror (1969)
1917 (1970)
Monique (1970)
Zeta One (1970)
Black Beauty (1971)
The Beast in the Cellar (1971)
The Blood on Satan's Claw (1971)
Hannie Caulder (1971)

The Magnificent Seven Deadly Sins (1971)
Virgin Witch (1972)
Doomwatch (1972)
Au Pair Girls (1972)
Neither the Sea Nor the Sand (1972)
The Creeping Flesh (1973)

Orange - released or announced by 88 under the Tigon sub-label

I guess it's unlikely we would get The Creeping Flesh as I understand it is partially owned by Kevin Francis

A couple of the others - Virgin Witch & Haunted House of Horror already have special editions from Screenbound

Probably we can expect a re-release of The Blood Beast Terror and there's a good chance of Zeta One.

I'd really like to see Niether the Sea Nor the Sand upgraded to BR.

I'm not sure what the commercial viability of the rest would be?

EDIT: I think its with Sony in the US, so I wonder if Indicator would consider a US only release of the The Creeping Flesh once Mill Creek's rights have lapsed? Just an idea for Michael Brooke to kick around maybe? ;)

Zeta One, Au Pair Girls and The Sex Thief (Which you omitted from the list) have already been released by 88 Films as their Saucy Seventies box set. I know this as i watched Zeta One on Friday night. :lol:

Monique is an excellent film by the way. I have the Odeon dvd. Oh and Doomwatch would be very welcome even if you don't think it would be commercially viable, although i disagree. Especially as the series sold well on dvd.

Black Beauty another you don't think would sell well is probably the most commercially viable of the whole list.

Rob4 5th May 2024 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 698497)
Zeta One, Au Pair Girls and The Sex Thief (Which you omitted from the list) have already been released by 88 Films as their Saucy Seventies box set. I know this as i watched Zeta One on Friday night. :lol:

Monique is an excellent film by the way. I have the Odeon dvd. Oh and Doomwatch would be very welcome even if you don't think it would be commercially viable, although i disagree. Especially as the series sold well on dvd.

Black Beauty another you don't think would sell well is probably the most commercially viable of the whole list.

Thanks Dem,

I didn't know about the 'Saucy 70s' set. I wonder why they didn't put those on the Tigon sub-label?

Ah my bad, I didn't mean to miss out Doomwatch! I have the US import for that one as well but I'd consider a double-dip on a UK release.

For the others, it's not that I don't think they would sell. It's just I don't know enough about them to make a judgement. I tend to avoid things like Black Beauty, Lassie, Skippy, Flipper or anything of that ilk... except Champion the Wonder Horse... now that's quality :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th May 2024 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 698506)
Thanks Dem,

I didn't know about the 'Saucy 70s' set. I wonder why they didn't put those on the Tigon sub-label?

Ah my bad, I didn't mean to miss out Doomwatch! I have the US import for that one as well but I'd consider a double-dip on a UK release.

For the others, it's not that I don't think they would sell. It's just I don't know enough about them to make a judgement. I tend to avoid things like Black Beauty, Lassie, Skippy, Flipper or anything of that ilk... except Champion the Wonder Horse... now that's quality :lol:

Haha. Black Beauty was never like Lassie and Skippy and those shows. The Britishness of it always gave it that streak of something bad might happen to the animals. Especially in the movie versions. See Tarka the Otter and The Belstone Fox as other examples.

Zeta One looked lovely by the way. The set is pretty cool with a good booklet and double sided poster on quality thick paper.

Rob4 6th May 2024 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 698510)
Haha. Black Beauty was never like Lassie and Skippy and those shows. The Britishness of it always gave it that streak of something bad might happen to the animals. Especially in the movie versions. See Tarka the Otter and The Belstone Fox as other examples.

Zeta One looked lovely by the way. The set is pretty cool with a good booklet and double sided poster on quality thick paper.

I love The Belstone Fox. It's so dark, I consider it a horror film...