Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   101 Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/12955-101-films.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th January 2024 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroid (Post 695183)
As I'm partial to a bit of neo-noir, this sounds like a good one for me.

I really like it. A good mix of violence, Melanie Griffith stripping and Tom Berenger and Billy Dee Williams hating on each other.

The Cinema Club dvd i have looks really good as it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 628400)
Fear City (1984)

A definite step up from the likes of the grimy and dark Driller Killer, this third feature from Abel Ferrara is bathed in cool nigh time blues and greens, although this is still a fine piece of exploitation in it's own right.

Starring Tom Berenger, Billy Dee Williams and a scene stealing early performance from future star Melanie Griffith as a stripper in a Manhattan club where the girls are being hunted down by a serial killer.

Sexy and visceral in it's portrayal of violence, this is my favourite of Ferrara's seventies and eighties output.

nicholasrope 25th January 2024 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 695184)
I really like it. A good mix of violence, Melanie Griffith stripping and Tom Berenger and Billy Dee Williams hating on each other.

The Cinema Club dvd i have looks really good as it is.

I've got the Cinema Club DVD as well, was that version missing anything because I didn't mind it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th January 2024 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 695200)
I've got the Cinema Club DVD as well, was that version missing anything because I didn't mind it.

Apparently so, not that i'd noticed. I checked the scene at 21 mins earlier and it's the US version i have.

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=962085

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd February 2024 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 695168)
Released 4th March 2024 Fear City

Taking place in Ferrara’s trademark nightmarish vision of New York City, Fear City delves into the seedy underbelly of the city in the 80s. Filmed on location in the sleazy dive bars and back alleys of Times Square, this thrilling, erotic neo-noir is a tale of a brutal killer targeting the city’s strippers and the former boxer and cop out to catch them.

There's a psychopath on the loose in Manhattan who is stalking and mutilating beautiful strippers employed by booking agents Matt Rossi (Tom Berenger) and Nicky Parzeno (Jack Scalia). But when the madman targets Matt’s ex-girlfriend, Loretta (Melanie Griffith), he must confront his own violent past to stop the sadist.

After the success of The Driller Killer (1979) and Ms. 45 (1981) Ferrara returned to his native New York to direct Fear City. The film was originally produced by 20th Century Fox, which allowed for a cast of 80s stars including Tom Berenger (Platoon), Melanie Griffith (Body Double) and Billy Dee Williams (Empire Strikes Back) to be assembled. They soon decided there was too much nudity, sex, violence and hard drug use for their liking and moved the film on to the independent Aquarius Releasing. After heavy cuts by the MPAA Fear City finally received its premiere in 1984.

Title 034 on the 101 Films Black Label, this limited-edition release includes both the theatrical and uncut versions of Fear City and a commentary with film critic Kevin Lyons. Enclosed in a limited-edition slipcase with brand new artwork, this title also features a limited-edition booklet with new writing on the film: ‘Seeing Red: A Neo-Noir Guide’ by Rich Johnson and ‘Returning to Fear City’ by Brad Stevens.

SPECIAL FEATURES

Uncut version of Fear City with SD inserts (97 Minutes)
Commentary with film critic Kevin Lyons
Extended trailer
Limited edition booklet: Includes ‘Seeing Red: A Neo-Noir Guide’ by Rich Johnson and ‘Returning to Fear City’ by Brad Stevens

It's now available to preorder for £16.99 – I have ordered it as a blind buy because it sounds like something I'd appreciate and enjoy.

https://101-films-store.com/collecti...dition-blu-ray

MrBarlow 2nd February 2024 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 695470)
It's now available to preorder for £16.99 – I have ordered it as a blind buy because it sounds like something I'd appreciate and enjoy.

Anything by Abel Ferrara is something that always go well with us Cult Addicts :lol:

peter alex 2nd February 2024 04:00 PM

it was passed uncut in 2022 for a release from 101 films so I wonder why it wasn't release it in 2022 or 2023.

Susan Foreman 2nd February 2024 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter alex (Post 695482)
it was passed uncut in 2022 for a release from 101 films so I wonder why it wasn't release it in 2022 or 2023.

I'm still waiting for the Blue Underground release of 'Snuff', which was passed by the BBFC in 2003!

marvinnashsear 2nd February 2024 07:25 PM

Quote:

If I remember right from Brad Stevens excellent book The Moral Vision there was a bit of producer interference but it's still a pretty good film. Now we need a Ms 45 special edition. The US release looks good but the extras are definitely lacking. And some kind of release of the 2 and a half hour cut of Cat Chaser as well. It'd probably be an extra on a blu ray release cos I think it's only on an old VHS Ferrara saved. Quite a few Ferrara films never got releases here. 'R Xmas, New Rose Hotel, Go Go Tales and his first feature Nine Lives of a Wet Pussy. I have a dvd release of Nine Lives that is the worst transfer I've ever seen. It looks to be from a 9th Gen VHS. The VS blu ray looks absolutely amazing in comparison. To be honest I didn't think much of Hotel and Go Go Tales but if you want to see Asia Argento get off with a dog Go Go Tales has that for you.

Graveyard 3rd February 2024 06:40 PM

Quote:

Nice, I will buy on the black label sale a couple of months later :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st March 2024 12:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Mansion of the Doomed (1976) (Limited Edition) (Blu-ray)
?16.99 GBP

Released 6th May Pre-order now.
Title number 035 on our Black Label.

This Limited Edition version includes a slipcase and a booklet.

101 Films presents gruesome exploitation shocker Mansion of the Doomed (1976), available in the UK for the very first time. This limited-edition release includes a brand-new documentary on producer Charles Band's Full Moon Features, an Interview with editor Harry Keramidas, artwork from the original UK Video nasty release and a booklet featuring brand new essays on the film by Chris Alexander and Andy Marshall-Roberts.

Title 035 on the 101 Films Black Label, this limited-edition release includes a brand-new documentary produced exclusively for this release on Charles Band's Full Moon Features. Enclosed in a limited-edition slipcase featuring the original artwork from the confiscated Video Nasty release of the 80s. This release also features a limited-edition booklet with brand new writing on the film 'On Mansion of the Doomed' by filmmaker and critic Chris Alexander and 'The Eye is blind if the mind is absent: The legacy of ocular violence & video nasties within Mansion of the Doomed' by writer Andy Marshall-Roberts.

Richard Basehart (Being There, TV's Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea) stars as the maniacal Dr. Leonard Chaney, a brilliant surgeon who compulsively kidnaps people and rips out their eyeballs, dumping their bleeding bodies into a filthy basement cage. His masterplan? To transplant these ill-gotten orbs into the skull of his daughter, who herself was blinded in a tragic accident years before.

SPECIAL FEATURES

The Charles Band Empire - A new documentary on the career of horror legend Charles Band.
Cutting Teeth - Editor Harry Keramidas on 'Mansion of the Doomed'.
Limited edition booklet: Includes 'On Mansion of the Doomed' by filmmaker and critic Chris Alexander and 'The Eye is blind if the mind is absent: The legacy of ocular violence & video nasties within Mansion of the Doomed' by writer Andy Marshall-Roberts

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th March 2024 01:13 PM

101 have botched Fear City.

The main theatrical cut plays full 16x9, which is to say the 1.57 ratio is stretched to fill the whole image, so everything looks fat and distorted.

The unrated feature plays fine but to have the main feature stretched is pure amateur hour.

Susan Foreman 13th March 2024 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 696889)

The main theatrical cut plays full 16x9, which is to say the 1.57 ratio is stretched to fill the whole image, so everything looks fat and distorted.

The unrated feature plays fine but to have the main feature stretched is pure amateur hour.

It shouldn't be out yet!

Mid Feb they posted this on FB:
"Due to a delay during manufacturing, we have been forced to push back the release date of our upcoming FEAR CITY Blu-ray.

This will now release on 18th March.

We apologies for any inconvenience caused by the date change."

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th March 2024 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 696890)
It shouldn't be out yet!

Mid Feb they posted this on FB:
"Due to a delay during manufacturing, we have been forced to push back the release date of our upcoming FEAR CITY Blu-ray.

This will now release on 18th March.

We apologies for any inconvenience caused by the date change."

Some have got it sent early direct from 101.

Susan Foreman 13th March 2024 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 696894)
Some have got it sent early direct from 101.

Ah, that explains it

So, technical botches aside, is it a good film with worthy extras?

Dave 13th March 2024 06:31 PM

101 Films

Quote:

101 have botched Fear City

Hard pass for me. Hopefully VS will put it out. Maybe the OOP Shout Disc hasn't lost it's value after all.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 13th March 2024 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

My order has arrived and, although I haven't watched it yet, the rear cover states that both cuts are 1.78:1, not the correct aspect ratio.

https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/att...1&d=1710360588

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th March 2024 08:25 PM

Although not a massive sale, most of the 101 Films Black Label releases are reduced to ?10.

https://101-films-store.com/collections/black-label

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th April 2024 03:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The Lawnmower Man Collection (1992 & 1995) (Limited Edition) (Blu-ray)
29.99 GBP

101 Films presents groundbreaking 90s sci-fi The Lawnmower Man (1992) and its sequel, Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace (1995) on Blu-ray in the UK for the very first time. Presented in a 3-disc set including both the theatrical and director?s cuts of The Lawnmower Man, in limited edition packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork, and complete with a booklet with new writing on the film.

THE LAWNMOWER MAN

Dr. Lawrence Angelo (Pierce Brosnan) is a brilliant scientist obsessed with perfecting virtual reality software. When his experiments on animals fail, he finds the ideal substitute - Jobe Smith (Jeff Fahey), a slow-witted gardener. Dr. Angelo?s goal is to benefit his human guinea pig and ultimately mankind itself, but evil lurks in the guise of ?The Shop?, a shadow group that seeks to use the technology to create an invincible war machine. When the experiments change the simple Jobe into a superhuman being, the stage is set for a Jekyll-and-Hyde struggle for control of Job?s mind and the future of the world.

LAWNMOWER MAN 2: BEYOND CYBERSPACE

Enter the deadly world of virtual reality, where information is the key to world domination. Picking up where the original Lawnmower Man ended, Jobe (Matt Frewer - Max Headroom) has become a hostage in futuristic hell. But when he discovers a computer chip that will give him the key to the ultimate revenge, the battle for world control begins. With stunning special effects, Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace takes you into a world where only the hardwired dare to journey.

SPECIAL FEATURES:

Limited edition rigid box packaging. Limited Edition Booklet: Includes Grassroots and Cyber Suits: Variations of The Lawnmower Man by Rich Johnson and This Diseased Mainframe: The Abject Horror of Bodily Digitisation in The Lawnmower Man by Andy Marshall-Roberts

DISC 1: The Lawnmower Man Theatrical Cut

? Cybergod: Creating The Lawnmower Man ? Audio commentary with writer/Director Brett Leonard and writer producer Gimel Everett ? Deleted scenes ? Original electronic press kit with cast interviews and behind-the-scenes footage ? Edited animated sequences ? Theatrical trailer ? TV spot

DISC 2: The Lawnmower Man Director's Cut

? Audio commentary with writer/Director Brett Leonard and writer/producer Gimel Everett ? Conceptual art and design sketches ? Behind-the-scenes and production stills ? Storyboard comparison

DISC 3: Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace

https://101-films-store.com/products...dition-blu-ray

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th April 2024 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a fan of the artwork on these, especially no with no title of the front of the cases, and why do reversible covers if you're not going to use the original artwork?

The art they're using on the reverse of the first film was done for the Scream Factory release and it looks like Katie Price wearing a helmet and goggles [emoji23]

Attachment 250555

marvinnashsear 13th April 2024 04:03 PM

Are 101 Films planning on releasing Bad Lieutenant? The version streaming on ITVX has their logo at the start. Or is this just a streaming only thing? Still doesn't have Schoolly D on the soundtrack though.

Susan Foreman 26th April 2024 07:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
'A Shock To The System' (1990) - coming to Blu-ray in the UK from 101Films

Release date: May 27

"HE?S KILLING ON IMPULSE... AND HE WON?T REST UNTIL HE GETS A CORNER OFFICE

Loyal and hardworking executive Graham Marshall (screen legend Michael Caine) has paid his dues. He has suffered through mounting bills, the indignities of climbing the corporate ladder, and a nagging wife (Swoosie Kurtz, Sisters) with only an anxiously awaited promotion to keep him going. But that all changes when his promotion is instead given to a boorish associate (Peter Riegert, National Lampoon?s Animal House).

Annoyed and frustrated, Graham unleashes his rage ... in the form of an accidental killing with which he gets away clean! Emboldened by his newfound talent for murder, Graham begins to rethink his business strategy - with deadly results.

Elizabeth McGovern (Ragtime, The Handmaid?s Tale), Will Patton (Remember the Titans, No Way Out), and Jenny Wright (Near Dark, The Lawnmower Man) also star in this electrifyingly pitch-black comedy of Madison Avenue and murder."

Special Features:
  • Audio commentary with Director Jan Egleson
  • Interview with Jan Egleson
  • Alternate ending
  • Theatrical trailer
  • Still gallery

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th April 2024 10:30 PM

Nice to see 101 going down the VCI route with their 'stick some white text on a still from the movie' take on cover artworks.