Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1395Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd November 2023, 05:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

I remember the first one being good but I haven't seen it since the 1980s. However, I too object to being forced to buy 4K. I've only done it once for Martin but that's a much much better film than Alligator. I think I'll be giving this a miss unless there's a standalone BR down the line.
Old 23rd November 2023, 05:29 PM
Cult Addict

I'll have to have a rewatch of the dvds. I've seen the original a few times and always liked it. The sequel was a bit naff and I've only seen it the once but not for many years.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 23rd November 2023, 05:29 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
That's what he means. You've gotta buy the 4K.
And yes. Thanks for clarifying Dem.

Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 23rd November 2023, 07:21 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
I remember the first one being good but I haven't seen it since the 1980s. However, I too object to being forced to buy 4K. I've only done it once for Martin but that's a much much better film than Alligator. I think I'll be giving this a miss unless there's a standalone BR down the line.
Martin is available as a standard blu ray but not in the deluxe bells and whistles version. I don't like it but I can sort of understand. The Alligator set is £40 for a 4K disc I don't want or need.
I can actually play 4K but I still don't care and object to having to buy a 4K release in order to get a normal blu.

Rob4 likes this.
Old 23rd December 2023, 06:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

https://101-films-store.com/collections/sale?page=1
Old 25th January 2024, 03:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Released 4th March 2024 Fear City

Taking place in Ferrara’s trademark nightmarish vision of New York City, Fear City delves into the seedy underbelly of the city in the 80s. Filmed on location in the sleazy dive bars and back alleys of Times Square, this thrilling, erotic neo-noir is a tale of a brutal killer targeting the city’s strippers and the former boxer and cop out to catch them.

There's a psychopath on the loose in Manhattan who is stalking and mutilating beautiful strippers employed by booking agents Matt Rossi (Tom Berenger) and Nicky Parzeno (Jack Scalia). But when the madman targets Matt’s ex-girlfriend, Loretta (Melanie Griffith), he must confront his own violent past to stop the sadist.

After the success of The Driller Killer (1979) and Ms. 45 (1981) Ferrara returned to his native New York to direct Fear City. The film was originally produced by 20th Century Fox, which allowed for a cast of 80s stars including Tom Berenger (Platoon), Melanie Griffith (Body Double) and Billy Dee Williams (Empire Strikes Back) to be assembled. They soon decided there was too much nudity, sex, violence and hard drug use for their liking and moved the film on to the independent Aquarius Releasing. After heavy cuts by the MPAA Fear City finally received its premiere in 1984.

Title 034 on the 101 Films Black Label, this limited-edition release includes both the theatrical and uncut versions of Fear City and a commentary with film critic Kevin Lyons. Enclosed in a limited-edition slipcase with brand new artwork, this title also features a limited-edition booklet with new writing on the film: ‘Seeing Red: A Neo-Noir Guide’ by Rich Johnson and ‘Returning to Fear City’ by Brad Stevens.

SPECIAL FEATURES

Uncut version of Fear City with SD inserts (97 Minutes)
Commentary with film critic Kevin Lyons
Extended trailer
Limited edition booklet: Includes ‘Seeing Red: A Neo-Noir Guide’ by Rich Johnson and ‘Returning to Fear City’ by Brad Stevens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed (1).jpg (101.3 KB, 113 views)
Old 25th January 2024, 04:56 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Released 4th March 2024 Fear City

Taking place in Ferrara’s trademark nightmarish vision of New York City, Fear City delves into the seedy underbelly of the city in the 80s. Filmed on location in the sleazy dive bars and back alleys of Times Square, this thrilling, erotic neo-noir is a tale of a brutal killer targeting the city’s strippers and the former boxer and cop out to catch them.

There's a psychopath on the loose in Manhattan who is stalking and mutilating beautiful strippers employed by booking agents Matt Rossi (Tom Berenger) and Nicky Parzeno (Jack Scalia). But when the madman targets Matt’s ex-girlfriend, Loretta (Melanie Griffith), he must confront his own violent past to stop the sadist.

After the success of The Driller Killer (1979) and Ms. 45 (1981) Ferrara returned to his native New York to direct Fear City. The film was originally produced by 20th Century Fox, which allowed for a cast of 80s stars including Tom Berenger (Platoon), Melanie Griffith (Body Double) and Billy Dee Williams (Empire Strikes Back) to be assembled. They soon decided there was too much nudity, sex, violence and hard drug use for their liking and moved the film on to the independent Aquarius Releasing. After heavy cuts by the MPAA Fear City finally received its premiere in 1984.

Title 034 on the 101 Films Black Label, this limited-edition release includes both the theatrical and uncut versions of Fear City and a commentary with film critic Kevin Lyons. Enclosed in a limited-edition slipcase with brand new artwork, this title also features a limited-edition booklet with new writing on the film: ‘Seeing Red: A Neo-Noir Guide’ by Rich Johnson and ‘Returning to Fear City’ by Brad Stevens.

SPECIAL FEATURES

Uncut version of Fear City with SD inserts (97 Minutes)
Commentary with film critic Kevin Lyons
Extended trailer
Limited edition booklet: Includes ‘Seeing Red: A Neo-Noir Guide’ by Rich Johnson and ‘Returning to Fear City’ by Brad Stevens
Another film where nobody bothered to hang on to the negative trims
Old 25th January 2024, 05:09 PM
Active Cultist

I feel sorry for the poor scalpers on eBay who were charging silly prices for the old OOP Shout Factory BD.
Rob4 likes this.
Old 25th January 2024, 05:29 PM
Active Cultist

Ah that explains why my old dvd copy went for silly money couple of years ago.

Does everyone involved not like this film? Seems no one wants to appear in special features for it.
Old 25th January 2024, 06:35 PM
Cultist

As I'm partial to a bit of neo-noir, this sounds like a good one for me.

Like this? Share it using the links below!