Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   Studio Canal / Studio Canal Vintage Classics - Classic British Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/13120-studio-canal-studio-canal-vintage-classics-classic-british-films.html)

Justin101 29th January 2024 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 695360)
Peeping Tom arrived today :clap:

...but with a very damaged slipcase, so its going straight back :nono:

Mine came too but it’s in good condition! I don’t think I’m in quite the right mood for it tonight though, will save it for the weekend I think.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th January 2024 07:46 PM

A whole host of recent StudioCanal titles have dropped to £7.99 on Amazon including The Others, U571, The Driver, Cutthroat Island, Inland Empire, King Kong (1978)...

Nordicdusk 30th January 2024 07:13 AM

I was gonna pick up Devil Girl myself but screw that now shame.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th January 2024 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 695365)
A whole host of recent StudioCanal titles have dropped to £7.99 on Amazon including The Others, U571, The Driver, Cutthroat Island, Inland Empire, King Kong (1978)...

If you are lucky enough to have one other branches in a nearby town or prefer to give them your business, it looks like HMV have the same prices for those releases.

J Harker 31st January 2024 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 695378)
If you are lucky enough to have one other branches in a nearby town or prefer to give them your business, it looks like HMV have the same prices for those releases.

Popped into my local branch today to check this out. Only one that seemed to be pricematched instore was Cutthroat Island. Rest were £10.99. On HMVs website however its a different story. Whole bunch of other StudioCanal titles meant to be down to £6 or £7.99 too.
I'll go back in tomorrow and see if I can get them to honour the online price on Total Recall.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st February 2024 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 695415)
Popped into my local branch today to check this out. Only one that seemed to be pricematched instore was Cutthroat Island. Rest were £10.99. On HMVs website however its a different story. Whole bunch of other StudioCanal titles meant to be down to £6 or £7.99 too.
I'll go back in tomorrow and see if I can get them to honour the online price on Total Recall.

I hope they do because it makes no sense to have different prices online to the store.

Having lower prices on the website gives people an incentive to stay at home and shop online rather go to the store and pick up things on impulse, buying more than you intended!

J Harker 1st February 2024 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 695423)
I hope they do because it makes no sense to have different prices online to the store.

Having lower prices on the website gives people an incentive to stay at home and shop online rather go to the store and pick up things on impulse, buying more than you intended!

Absolutely. Give the choice I'd buy a copy of the shelf every time over online ordering. However as mentioned elsewhere sometimes the type of stuff I want is often so poorly stocked or priced instore that I more often resort to online. That said my buying as reduced greatly these days with the way living costs have become.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st February 2024 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 695432)
Absolutely. Give the choice I'd buy a copy of the shelf every time over online ordering. However as mentioned elsewhere sometimes the type of stuff I want is often so poorly stocked or priced instore that I more often resort to online. That said my buying as reduced greatly these days with the way living costs have become.

I think most people on here have slowed the buying in recent months. It doesn't help that three quarters of Blu's cost north of £20 when they first come out.

I could buy ten horror dvd's for the price of a Blu limited edition.

J Harker 1st February 2024 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 695436)
I think most people on here have slowed the buying in recent months. It doesn't help that three quarters of Blu's cost north of £20 when they first come out.

I could buy ten horror dvd's for the price of a Blu limited edition.

Exactly. Not helped by the trend of only making a nice blu ray edition available if you fork out in some cases nigh on forty quid for limited 4k edition.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st February 2024 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 695437)
Exactly. Not helped by the trend of only making a nice blu ray edition available if you fork out in some cases nigh on forty quid for limited 4k edition.

I'm no longer that interested in those limited editions that are basically 4K releases. Second Sight being the main culprit. Bloody rip off merchants they are. Forty quid for shit artwork and even shitter looking tinted art cards.

J Harker 1st February 2024 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 695438)
I'm no longer that interested in those limited editions that are basically 4K releases. Second Sight being the main culprit. Bloody rip off merchants they are. Forty quid for shit artwork and even shitter looking tinted art cards.

Exactly that.

J Harker 1st February 2024 10:12 PM

HMV have an actual page on their site for this StudioCanal promotion. May be helpful. I've been randomly searching titles.
https://hmv.com/store/film-tv/studio...format=Blu-ray

Nuno_Miranda 2nd February 2024 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 695437)

I see this happening increasingly. I have no interest in 4K (don't even own a 4K player or TV), but quite a few films I wanted to buy for my collection are released only in 4K+Blu-ray. Physical media is already expensive enough without forcing me to buy something I have no use for.

Rob4 2nd February 2024 08:39 AM

There's a number of people on Blurage who are refusing to buy either the BR or the UHD when they are released concurrently on separate formats and insist that every release should be dual format.

I struggle to see the reasoning, because if they are set up for UHD why don't they just buy the UHD and have done with it?

Maybe these people are Second Sight staffers... :lol:

Nuno_Miranda 2nd February 2024 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 695445)
There's a number of people on Blurage who are refusing to buy either the BR or the UHD when they are released concurrently on separate formats and insist that every release should be dual format.

I struggle to see the reasoning, because if they are set up for UHD why don't they just buy the UHD and have done with it?

Maybe these people are Second Sight staffers... :lol:

:lol:

But that makes no sense at all. If you own a 4K setup and 4K is what you're looking for, why also buy BR? What use could you possibly have for it? They're too slippery for coasters!

I make the same argument for BR+DVD (our German friends do a lot of that), but in this case the price doesn't seem to increase so much as 4k+BR.

Justin101 2nd February 2024 09:59 AM

The only reason you’d ever need a UHD and BD dual release is so you can compare both discs and see how awesome the HDR is lol :lol:

I can’t say I’ve not bought a UHD because it didn’t have a Blu-ray in the box as well haha. HOWEVER, there is a trend particularly in America with big studios they release a UHD with no special features on the 4k disc and you don’t get the Blu-ray in the set, in the UK that same release will include the Blu-ray with the special features… so in that case I can see the point. The Exorcist was like this in US vs UK.

J Harker 2nd February 2024 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuno_Miranda (Post 695442)
I see this happening increasingly. I have no interest in 4K (don't even own a 4K player or TV), but quite a few films I wanted to buy for my collection are released only in 4K+Blu-ray. Physical media is already expensive enough without forcing me to buy something I have no use for.

Totally agree. I've mentioned before, I can play 4K no problem. In the living room at least. But I've no interest in it. 1080p is more than adequate and I refuse to pay exorbitant prices for a disc I don't want.

Nuno_Miranda 2nd February 2024 11:48 AM

I actually own 1 UHD... :pray: It's Star Trek: The Motion Picture pretty box with lots of physical stuff and all the extras. I couldn't resist, it also included the BR, so it had to be done. So far, that's it, but I know there will be more, because it seems to be an unstoppable force.

I think it was in a The Digital Bits opinion piece that I read UHD was probably the last physical media we're going to have. That's pretty bleak, unless someone somewhere decides that 8K is the thing, and here we go again. I can almost see a point where they'll stop releasing BR. On the other hand, DVD is still being published, and I know so many people -- not exactly film geeks, but just regular people who buy a DVD once in a while because they like the movie -- that never upgraded to BR and never will. They're more likely to move irrevocably to streaming than to buy another player. Too many people are still under the illusion that "everything is on Netflix or Prime" (the two streamers we have here), which is so absurd. I keep having the same discussion with different/new people who see my film collection. It's just exhausting.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd February 2024 01:23 PM

Blu-ray and dvd as a dual format works well in my opinion. It meant i already owned over 100 Blu-rays prior to buying a Blu-ray player and could still buy films to watch at the time on dvd.

The difference in image quality is there for all to see so the Blu-ray disc in the set was always a kind of future investment when purchasing dual format releases.

However shoving a Blu in with a 4K disc just smacks of companies being greedy UNLESS the blu-ray disc in the set is also a newly restored 4K version.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd February 2024 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuno_Miranda (Post 695459)
I actually own 1 UHD... :pray: It's Star Trek: The Motion Picture pretty box with lots of physical stuff and all the extras. I couldn't resist, it also included the BR, so it had to be done. So far, that's it, but I know there will be more, because it seems to be an unstoppable force.

I think it was in a The Digital Bits opinion piece that I read UHD was probably the last physical media we're going to have. That's pretty bleak, unless someone somewhere decides that 8K is the thing, and here we go again. I can almost see a point where they'll stop releasing BR. On the other hand, DVD is still being published, and I know so many people -- not exactly film geeks, but just regular people who buy a DVD once in a while because they like the movie -- that never upgraded to BR and never will. They're more likely to move irrevocably to streaming than to buy another player. Too many people are still under the illusion that "everything is on Netflix or Prime" (the two streamers we have here), which is so absurd. I keep having the same discussion with different/new people who see my film collection. It's just exhausting.

Not only are dvd's still being made they still sell far more copies than Blu-ray and 4K doesn't even warrant a mention. Amazon states what a film has sold in the last month nowadays. For example -

Oppenheimer - 1k+ Blu-ray sold, 800+ 4K sold and 4k+ dvd's.

The Equalizer 3 - 400+ Blu-ray, 100+ 4K and 1k+ dvd's.

Nuno_Miranda 14th February 2024 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuno_Miranda (Post 693424)
I didn't know, thanks fot the heads-up! But not even those two could make me buy that BR. I was very disappointed with that movie, when I watched it a few weeks ago. Maybe it was Michael Gough's performance that was too histrionic for my taste. Maybe it was the fact that I spotted the killer in the first few minutes. Maybe it's the story that doesn't even make much sense -- and I say this after trying to explain the plot of The Mole People to my wife yesterday afternoon! I will hear KN's commentary, though, should it appear in... other places...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 693425)
It's not the greatest is it. Gough hams it up constantly.

I must say this, because opinions must be revisited in light of new information :cool:

After the disappointment some time ago of the film per se, i came upon the commentary by Newman/Jones for Horrors of the Black Museum, and watched/heard it last night. Well, it' still as very bad movie, but those two managed to make me see it in a somewhat different light. it's not as if they managed to "explain" it. It's beyond that, I think. It's such a bizarre film, with such bizarre choices (wtf is the computer doing there?!). When you're watching a film that hits you the wrong way right from the beginning, you tend to overlook some nice touches that come up later, and a good commentary can help you see them. The tone is "well, it's a bizarre and possibly shitty movie, but there are nice things in it which we can have fun with, and we'll guide you along". It can't be easy to do a commentary with Kim Newman, mostly because he's a such a steamroller and wonderful fountain of information and comment that the other commenters end up struggling to get some words edge-wise. Stephen Jones is one of the few who can hold his own with Newman, and in this particular case he seems to be the big fan of the fim and his excitement crosses over. Newman ends up, very unsually, trying to keep up! For that alone, it's worth it. Also excellent transfer on the BR, I had watched the DVD and the difference is astounding.

Will I watch it again? I honestly doubt it. But I'm very glad I gave the commentary a chance.

Rob4 26th April 2024 05:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Soldier Blue coming soon

gag 26th April 2024 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 698221)
Soldier Blue coming soon

Fantastic film been years since I've seen it.

peter alex 26th April 2024 06:18 PM

just hope its not cut.

Justin101 26th April 2024 07:13 PM

It will be cut for horse falls, I can't see them waiving it. I'll still be buying it though, no one needs to see animals being treated cruelly.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th April 2024 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 698232)
It will be cut for horse falls, I can't see them waiving it. I'll still be buying it though, no one needs to see animals being treated cruelly.

I've never seen Soldier Blue so, if I do buy it, I won't what I don't know is missing, especially if it's horse falls.

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th April 2024 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 698232)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 698238)
I've never seen Soldier Blue so, if I do buy it, I won't what I don't know is missing, especially if it's horse falls.

Trust me when i say this.

It's not merely horse falls it was cut for. However i'm pretty sure the UK dvd i have is the uncut version, minus the horse falls of course.

As far as i'm aware there is no longer cut at all and the rumoured work print has never been shown anywhere other than a single test screening but this could be bullshit as the only place i've ever seen this mentioned is on IMDB by an uncredited source.

Whichever though Soldier Blue is still an incredibly violent western, we're talking Italian splatter violent not simply in western movie stakes.

Rob4 26th April 2024 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 698238)

Probably because the final scenes are based on a true incident, even to this day I find it a hard watch. But I guess it proves I'm not totally desensitized...

...a proper horror film if ever there was one!

Graveyard 27th April 2024 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 698221)
Soldier Blue coming soon

Yes! Amazing news - I'm going to pre order this one. :loveeyes:

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th April 2024 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graveyard (Post 698253)
Yes! Amazing news - I'm going to pre order this one. :loveeyes:

I wouldn't if i were you. Hopefully a one off but Devil Girl from Mars, in the same range, had sync issues and discs had to be replaced, meanwhile High Crime featured the truncated ending missing ten minutes.

I barely ever pre-order now. Things either get messed up or in the case of 88's Walker box set delayed for over a year. I've been burnt enough.

With Soldier Blue i'd definitely need to know it was uncut but for horse falls before buying.

Graveyard 27th April 2024 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 698254)
I wouldn't if i were you. Hopefully a one off but Devil Girl from Mars, in the same range, had sync issues and discs had to be replaced, meanwhile High Crime featured the truncated ending missing ten minutes.

I barely ever pre-order now. Things either get messed up or in the case of 88's Walker box set delayed for over a year. I've been burnt enough.

With Soldier Blue i'd definitely need to know it was uncut but for horse falls before buying.

I don't really pre order anything for ages, but got excited when I saw it.. but after you comment I will take your advice ;) .

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th April 2024 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 698241)
Trust me when i say this.

It's not merely horse falls it was cut for. However i'm pretty sure the UK dvd i have is the uncut version, minus the horse falls of course.

As far as i'm aware there is no longer cut at all and the rumoured work print has never been shown anywhere other than a single test screening but this could be bullshit as the only place i've ever seen this mentioned is on IMDB by an uncredited source.

Whichever though Soldier Blue is still an incredibly violent western, we're talking Italian splatter violent not simply in western movie stakes.

That's interesting, thanks for the context and additional information.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st May 2024 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Night of the Eagle (1962) just gone through the BBFC

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/release/night...jpwwc0ynzy4njy

:woot:

Rob4 1st May 2024 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 698370)
Night of the Eagle (1962) just gone through the BBFC

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/release/night...jpwwc0ynzy4njy

:woot:

Yes! Really like this movie. Hope it's stacked with extras :pop2:

peter alex 2nd May 2024 01:22 AM

they are also releasing the original La Femme Nikita on 4K UHD + Blu-Ray.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd May 2024 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 698371)
Yes! Really like this movie. Hope it's stacked with extras :pop2:

Agreed. Hopefully a Vintage Classic rather than a Cult Classic.

Then again a Cult Classic means we might get some decent art whereas some of the Vintage Classics are awful. Thinking of The Others for a start.

J Harker 2nd May 2024 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 698381)
Agreed. Hopefully a Vintage Classic rather than a Cult Classic.

Then again a Cult Classic means we might get some decent art whereas some of the Vintage Classics are awful. Thinking of The Others for a start.

I hate that Others artwork.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd May 2024 01:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 698394)
I hate that Others artwork.

I got to work with a Stanley knife and cut down the US dvd artwork. Can't do anything about the slip case though except throw it away. :lol:

Justin101 2nd May 2024 02:06 PM

The Others is just main line Studio Canal, the Vintage classics usually have good covers :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd May 2024 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 698399)
The Others is just main line Studio Canal, the Vintage classics usually have good covers :lol:

Yeah, course it is. And you are correct in that the Vintage Classics usually have good covers.