Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   Studio Canal / Studio Canal Vintage Classics - Classic British Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/13120-studio-canal-studio-canal-vintage-classics-classic-british-films.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th July 2017 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 543970)
Where's The Nanny :(
It's in the Australian box set and available separately, I thought it'd be in the next round of UK releases.

Where's one of Hammer's finest hours?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th July 2017 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 543971)
I'm not a fan. The artwork would be good on a pop art T-shirt or bag, but not the front of a Blu-ray sleeve.

I'll wait and see what Anolis do with them in Germany.;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th July 2017 06:09 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 543967)
Horrible aren't they. :nod:

When you think of the poster art for these films the covers shown are a disgrace.

Maybe Studio Canal will catch on to the phenomenon know as the 'reversible cover'?
:cool:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th July 2017 06:10 PM

Love To The Devil A Daughter and Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde.:nod:
SCARS is a good addition as well.

Justin101 28th July 2017 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 544036)
Where's one of Hammer's finest hours?

Who has the Warner titles? I expect Warner keeps hold of them?

Rob4 28th July 2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 544043)
Who has the Warner titles? I expect Warner keeps hold of them?

yeah, Warner don't licence out and i think what they have released on blu is only available in US.

Justin101 28th July 2017 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 544046)
yeah, Warner don't licence out and i think what they have released on blu is only available in US.

I've got Dracula Has Risen From the Grave and Taste the Blood of Dracula from Warner in France, they are quite clearly direct ports of the American discs, can be had cheaply, got both for something like €7 a few months back, in a double pack!

Crimson Blade 28th July 2017 07:03 PM

I'm still waiting for DRACULA AD 1972 on Bluray

Mojo 28th July 2017 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Blade (Post 544049)

THE SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA is top of my Hammer blu ray wish list. Who owns the rights to this one and why has it not had a bd release?

Crimson Blade 28th July 2017 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 544056)
THE SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA is top of my Hammer blu ray wish list. Who owns the rights to this one and why has it not had a bd release?

I think Warner have the rights to that one as well.
Would be great in a box set with AD.

Mojo 28th July 2017 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Blade (Post 544057)
I think Warner have the rights to that one as well.
Would be great in a box set with AD.

Thanks for the info.
I agree - it would make a great box set. I've read elsewhere that DRACULA AD 1972 has had an hd restoration, so fingers crossed!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th July 2017 08:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Blade (Post 544049)

Released in Germany mate.
I have the mediabook.
The amaray has a wendecover.

https://www.amazon.de/Dracula-jagt-M...d+1972+blu+ray

Rob4 5th August 2017 04:01 PM

the studiocanal Hammer's will drop October and November.

"Studiocanal will release the newly restored films as Doubleplay editions on 23rd October 2017 [Blood From The Mommy’s Tomb, Demons Of The Mind, Fear In The Night, Scars of Dracula] and on 13th November 2017 [Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde, Straight On Till Morning, To The Devil A Daughter, Horror Of Frankenstein]. Extra features are to be confirmed."

full announcement
https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/...or-collection/

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th August 2017 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 545137)
the studiocanal Hammer's will drop October and November.

"Studiocanal will release the newly restored films as Doubleplay editions on 23rd October 2017 [Blood From The Mommy’s Tomb, Demons Of The Mind, Fear In The Night, Scars of Dracula] and on 13th November 2017 [Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde, Straight On Till Morning, To The Devil A Daughter, Horror Of Frankenstein]. Extra features are to be confirmed."

full announcement
https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/...or-collection/

Even though i have them all on dvd already i still aim to get the restored versions of To The Devil a Daughter and Scars of Dracula. Hopefully they'll have some decent extras and not just those World of Hammer episodes.

Rob4 5th August 2017 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 545140)
Even though i have them all on dvd already i still aim to get the restored versions of To The Devil a Daughter and Scars of Dracula. Hopefully they'll have some decent extras and not just those World of Hammer episodes.

rumour has it that Jonathan Rigby has been doing a commentary for a Hammer movie but not sure if it is one of these or for an Indicator release.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th August 2017 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 545150)
rumour has it that Jonathan Rigby has been doing a commentary for a Hammer movie but not sure if it is one of these or for an Indicator release.

Bit of luck, both. :nod:

Rob4 10th September 2018 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
PRINCE OF DARKNESS

not sure where to put this as not a British film but couldn't find another studiocanal thread. anyway it drops Nov 26th 2018

Beautifully restored on Blu-Ray this edition of Prince of Darkness includes an extra disc filled with extra features including a brand new documentary.
Deep in the basement of an abandoned church, once run by a sinister religious sect, lies a strange bottle of green liquid being investigated by a group of local theoretic physics students. But as the night draws in the students soon realise that the strange relic holds a dark and powerful force beyond their control. A force that could well be the essence of pure evil: the remains of Satan himself.

Blu Ray Extras:

Malevolent: Unearthing John Carpenter’s PRINCE OF DARKNESS: A brand new feature-length documentary featuring interviews with Cinematographer Gary Kibbe, actor Peter Jason, actor Alice Cooper, composer Alan Howarth, script supervisor Sandy King, visual effects supervisor Robert Grasmere, stunt coordinator Jeff Imada, Carpenter biographer John Muir, film historian C. Courtney Joyner, music historian Daniel Schweiger and Producer Larry Franco
Intro by John Carpenter – an interview with director John Carpenter originally recorded for a French DVD release in 2003
Scene Analysis by John Carpenter - Director John Carpenter analyses key scenes from Prince of Darkness, in an interview from 2003
Audio commentary with John Carpenter and Peter Jason Sympathy for the Devil: Interview with John Carpenter - from 2013
Horror's Halloween Hallowed Grounds with Sean Clark - a fun tour of the film’s locations hosted by Sean Clark
Trailer
Photo gallery incl. Behind the Scenes

Rob4 10th September 2018 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
THEY LIVE - drops 28th October

This 4 disc limited Collector’s Edition of John Carpenter’s 1988 cult classic THEY LIVE has been stunningly restored in 4K. This release is beautifully packaged with a stylish, newly commissioned illustration on the cover. It contains a UHD of the feature as well as a Blu-ray feature disc, extra features disc and the original soundtrack on CD. It also contains 5 artcards, a newly illustrated theatrical poster and booklet containing behind the scenes stills, articles and an essay from celebrated film journalist Kim Newman.

WWF wrestler “Rowdy” Roddy Piper plays John Nada, a homeless, unemployed construction worker who discovers a pair of sunglasses that when worn, suddenly reveal a world run by capitalist, yuppie aliens intent on keeping the human race sedate and brainwashed with subliminal messages fed through advertising and the media. Luckily for us all Nada is a man of action and so begins the fight-back (including perhaps the longest fistfight in cinema’s history) to save humankind.

4 discs
(1 UHD, 1 Blu-ray feature, 1 Blu-ray extras, 1 CD Soundtrack)
1 poster
5 artcards
48 page book
Extras:

Subversion: Exposing John Carpenter’s THEY LIVE - A brand new feature-length documentary featuring interviews with Associate producer Sandy King, cinematographer Gary Kibbe, actor Peter Jason, actor Robert Grasmere, composer Alan Howarth, stunt coordinator/Ghoul Jeff Imada, author Jonathan Letham, music historian Daniel Schweiger, Blumhouse editor Rebekah McKendry, and visual effects historian Justin Humphreys
Original EPK: The Making of They Live (1988) John Carpenter profile - vintage profile of the director
Meg Foster profile - vintage profile of the actress
Roddy Piper profile - vintage profile of the actor
Audio Commentary with John Carpenter & Roddy Piper Independent Thoughts with John Carpenter – a 2012 interview with director John Carpenter
Woman of Mystery: Interview with Meg Foster – a 2012 interview with actress Meg Foster
Man vs Aliens: Interview with Keith David – a 2012 interview with actor Keith David
Fake commercials in the film 2.34 mins TV spots Photo gallery

Rob4 10th September 2018 12:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
THE FOG - drops 29th October 2018

In this 4 disc limited Collector’s Edition, John Carpenter’s classic 1980 horror THE FOG has been stunningly restored in 4K. This release is beautifully packaged with a stylish, newly commissioned illustration on the cover. It contains a UHD of the feature as well as a Blu-ray feature disc, extra features disc and the original soundtrack on CD. It also contains 5 artcards, a newly illustrated theatrical poster and booklet containing behind the scenes stills, articles and an essay from celebrated film journalist Kim Newman.

Antonio Bay, California has turned a hundred years old. As the residents of this small, quaint harbour town begin to celebrate, an eerie fog envelops the shore and from its midst emerge dripping, demonic spectres, victims of a century old shipwreck, seeking revenge.

Starring Jamie Lee Curtis, the FOG is a tense and ghoulish tale that confirms John Carpenter as a master of terror.

4 discs
(1 UHD, 1 Blu-ray feature, 1 Blu-ray extras, 1 CD Soundtrack)
1 poster
5 artcards
48 page book

Collector’s Edition Blu Ray Extras:

Retribution: Uncovering John Carpenter’s THE FOG: New Making Of / Retro documentary: A brand new feature-length documentary featuring interviews with Cinematographer Dean Cundey, production designer/editor Tommy Lee Wallace, photographer Kim Gottleib-Walker, make-up effects artist Steve Johnson, Carpenter biographer John Muir, music historian Daniel Schweiger, visual effects historian Justin Humphreys and assistant Larry Franco
The Shape of The Thing to Come: John Carpenter Un-filmed: A brand new featurette looking at the John Carpenter films that never were
Easter Egg – surprise!
Intro by John Carpenter – an interview with director John Carpenter originally recorded for a French DVD release in 2003
Scene Analysis by John Carpenter - Director John Carpenter analyses key scenes from The Fog, in an interview from 2003
Fear on Film: Inside the Fog (1980) - A vintage featurette which includes an interview with John Carpenter
The Fog: Storyboard to Film – original storyboards
Outtakes
TV Spots
Theatrical Trailers
Audio Commentary with writer/director John Carpenter and writer/director Debra Hill
Horror's Hallowed Grounds with Sean Clark - a fun tour of the film’s locations hosted by Sean Clark
Audio commentary with actors Adrienne Barbeau, Tom Atkins and production designer Tommy Lee Wallace

Rob4 10th September 2018 01:06 PM

it would be nice to think that this is just the start of studiocanal overhauling their cult horror/scifi titles. others i can think of in their library deserving an equal presentation would be:

The Evil Dead Trilogy
The Howling
Near Dark
Jacob's Ladder
Hardware
Angel Heart
Total Recall
Highlander

does anyone know what else is lurking in their back catalogue?

all these Carpenter's are up for pre-order at Amazon btw.

Rob4 10th September 2018 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and the Carpenter's keep coming!
ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK - drops November 26th

Extras:

Purgatory: Entering John Carpenter’s ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK: A brand new feature-length documentary featuring interviews with Writer Nick Castle, cinematographer Dean Cundey, composer Alan Howarth, production designer Joe Alves, special visual effects artist/model maker Gene Rizzardi, production assistant David De Coteau, photographer Kim Gottleib-Walker, Carpenter biographer John Muir, visual effects historian Justin Humphreys, and music historian Daniel Schweiger.
Snake Plissen: Man of Honor – featurette from 2005 featuring interviews with John Carpenter and Debra Hill
Intro by John Carpenter- an interview with director John Carpenter originally recorded for a French DVD release in 2003
Deleted Opening Sequence “Snake’s Crime” with Optional Audio Commentary
Original Trailers
Audio Commentary with actor Kurt Russell & director John Carpenter
Audio Commentary with Producer Debra Hill and production designer Joe Alves
Big Challenges in Little Manhatten: Visual effects featurette – from 2015, features interviews with both Dennis Skotak, Director of Photography of Special VFX, and Robert Skotak, Unit Supervisor and Matte Artist
I am Taylor - Interview with actor Joe Unger – from 2015
Audio Commentary with actress Adrienne Barbeau & DOP Dean Cundey

Rob4 9th August 2019 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Also available on UHD 14 Oct

MrBarlow 30th August 2019 02:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Go-Between

Those were the innocent days, but the summer ended with a storm…
Based on the screenplay by Harold Pinter -
pre-order the new Vintage Classics release, beautifully restored
Set over the course of the sweltering Norfolk summer of 1900, Marian (Julie Christie) is set to be engaged to Hugh (Edward Fox), a well-bred viscount and her perfect match. Marian’s young brother, Marcus (Richard Gibson), invites his classmate Leo (Dominic Guard) to stay at the grand House for the holiday. Quickly, Leo becomes besotted with the vivacious Marian and, innocent of romantic and sexual matters, unwittingly becomes a pawn in the forbidden romance between her and eminently unsuitable local farmer Ted Burgess (Alan Bates).
Book now to see the special Norwich premiere and take home the classic on DVD, Blu- Ray and Download September 16th.

MrBarlow 30th August 2019 02:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Summer Holiday

Dance away your blues!
Cliff Richard stars in Summer Holiday
A brand new restoration of the fabulous 60s Musical - 4 London Bus mechanics strike up a deal with London Transport. They do up a London Bus and drive it around Europe as a hotel encountering a fun summer adventure along the way. British filmmaker Peter Yates directs singer Cliff Richard in the starring role in this pop music romp.
Take home the wonderful musical addition to our Vintage Classics range of iconic British films.
PRE-ORDER NOW

Rob4 30th August 2019 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 610280)
Summer Holiday

Dance away your blues!
Cliff Richard stars in Summer Holiday
A brand new restoration of the fabulous 60s Musical - 4 London Bus mechanics strike up a deal with London Transport. They do up a London Bus and drive it around Europe as a hotel encountering a fun summer adventure along the way. British filmmaker Peter Yates directs singer Cliff Richard in the starring role in this pop music romp.
Take home the wonderful musical addition to our Vintage Classics range of iconic British films.
PRE-ORDER NOW

you'd have thought they'd make the big red bus more prominent. epic artwork fail! :rolleyes:

Rob4 4th September 2019 04:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
14th October - Susan George and Pamela Franklyn, yes please :loveeyes:

Rob4 4th October 2019 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
yay, love Moby Dick

Rob4 4th October 2019 08:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is short notice but London members might be interested in this event. apparently its a brand new restoration.

Nostalgic 5th October 2019 03:40 PM

Having moved out of London 6 years ago I'm missing loads of these types of things, and with a little one, my wife & I barely go to the cinema, catching up with new stuff when it hits dvd.

Hoping this means studio canal will put a blu ray out?

Rob4 21st January 2020 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
some members may already be aware of this press release from SC but it passed me by - i'll definitely be getting some of these :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st January 2020 11:46 AM

Doesn't seem that long since Dead of Night was re-released in a newly restored version onto the Vintage Classics label with a feature length doc.

Rob4 21st January 2020 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 619020)
Doesn't seem that long since Dead of Night was re-released in a newly restored version onto the Vintage Classics label with a feature length doc.

2K to 4K... won't be long before the 8K re-releases come along :rolleyes:

Susan Foreman 22nd January 2020 01:56 PM

'The Elephant Man' 40th Anniversary Edition - Pre-order available at Amazon UK 4K - £34.99, Blu-Ray - £15.00, DVD - £12.00

Release date: April 6th

"A stunning new restoration of THE ELEPHANT MAN, with both picture and sound overseen by revered director David Lynch, this release is the perfect celebration of the films 40th anniversary. Starring Anthony Hopkins and John Hurt, THE ELEPHANT MAN is an extraordinary and intensely moving true story of bravery and humanity. John Merrick (John Hurt) is The Elephant Man, forced into circus sideshows and spurned by society because of the disfiguring disabilities he was born with. Rescued by a well meaning surgeon (Anthony Hopkins), he tries to escape a life of prejudice and cruelty as he tries to fit into a world ruled by Victorian sensibilities. Beautifully shot in black and white by the incomparable Freddie Francis, THE ELEPHANT MAN is an unforgettable story of human dignity and survival. "

Extras:
  • NEW - Interview with Frank Connor, Stills Photography
  • NEW - BFI Q&A With Jonathan Sanger
  • Interview With David Lynch
  • Interview With John Hurt
  • Mike Figgis Interviews David Lynch
  • The Air Is On Fire: Interview With David Lynch at Cartier Foundation
  • Joseph Merrick: The Real Elephant Man
  • The Terrible Elephant Man Revealed

Rob4 22nd January 2020 03:57 PM

something tells me Lynch is unlikely to do the same when it gets to Dune's 40th anniversary :lol:

MrBarlow 22nd January 2020 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 619108)
something tells me Lynch is unlikely to do the same when it gets to Dune's 40th anniversary :lol:

Ypu never know Rob, stranger things have happened...and pigs will be seen flying:lol:

Susan Foreman 7th February 2020 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 619103)
'The Elephant Man' 40th Anniversary Edition - Pre-order available at Amazon UK 4K - £34.99, Blu-Ray - £15.00, DVD - £12.00

Release date: April 6th

It would appear that this is the packaging for the 4K release

I am unsure if it will be the same for the standard Blu-Ray and DVD ones as well

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th February 2020 01:31 PM

Won’t be.The goodies are always in the 4K sets.

Inspector Abberline 28th February 2020 11:51 AM

Villain [Blu-ray] [2020]

1 Attachment(s)
Villain [Blu-ray] [2020]

This title will be released on March 30, 2020.

;)

1971 British gangster drama VILLAIN is directed by Michael Tuchner, his feature film debut. Starring Richard Burton (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf) as a sadistic London gang leader inspired by Ronnie Kray, the film is based on James Barlow's 1968 book Burden of Proof.
East end gang chief Vic Dakin is a violent psychopath who lives with his mother (Cathleen Nesbitt, An Affair to Remember) whilst making a living by running a prosperous protection racket. After a tip off for a potential payroll heist opportunity, Dakin starts planning the job, bringing in a gang from the criminal underworld alongside associate Wolfe Lissner (Ian McShane, John Wick).
Detective Inspector Robert Matthews (Nigel Davenport, Chariots of Fire) has been tasked to arrest Dakin when he makes his first mistake and is watching his every move, determined to catch him in the act. When a gang member is hospitalised and Matthews is closing in, can Dakin silence him before he confesses all?

Attachment 222855

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th February 2020 12:41 PM

Hallelujah:clap:

About bloody time.

Burton’s finest hour along with Colonel Faulkner.;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th February 2020 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now when we getting this on Blu?