Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   Studio Canal / Studio Canal Vintage Classics - Classic British Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/13120-studio-canal-studio-canal-vintage-classics-classic-british-films.html)

Susan Foreman 19th June 2021 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 654512)
Already posted by Dave, with a pic, a page back on the thread.

That's the problem with only putting a picture and not actually naming the film in the post - a search doesn't bring up anything!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th June 2021 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 654514)
That's the problem with only putting a picture and not actually naming the film in the post - a search doesn't bring up anything!

That's the problem with only popping into threads to post announcements, you might not remember something from a couple of days ago. ;)

Susan Foreman 19th June 2021 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 654519)
That's the problem with only popping into threads to post announcements, you might not remember something from a couple of days ago. ;)

That's the problem when you don't spend 24/7 on internet forums - you have to pick and choose what threads you look at!

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2021 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 654522)
That's the problem when you don't spend 24/7 on internet forums - you have to pick and choose what threads you look at!

I would think most regulars just look at the latest postings on all threads. It's not like there are hundreds a day.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2021 02:12 PM

Anyway :focus:

The new Basic Instinct Blu-Ray looks terrific.

The new restoration means you see in great detail the ice pick go through the guys nose in the opening murder.

There's a brand new hour long making of featuring Sharon Stone, Michael Douglas, Paul Verhoeven and screenwriter Joe Eszterhas that looks really good too although i only watched the first five minutes. Not even put the second disc in the player yet.

Other companies could learn a lot from StudioCanal when it comes to making new docs about movies. You know, actually interview the stars rather than the second assistant director.

Justin101 19th June 2021 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 654527)
Anyway :focus:

The new Basic Instinct Blu-Ray looks terrific.

The new restoration means you see in great detail the ice pick go through the guys nose in the opening murder.

There's a brand new hour long making of featuring Sharon Stone, Michael Douglas, Paul Verhoeven and screenwriter Joe Eszterhas that looks really good too although i only watched the first five minutes. Not even put the second disc in the player yet.

Other companies could learn a lot from StudioCanal when it comes to making new docs about movies. You know, actually interview the stars rather than the second assistant director.

I'm looking forward to picking up the 4K UHD when it comes out in the standard edition, shouldn't be long looks like the £40 one is already sold out :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2021 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 654529)
I'm looking forward to picking up the 4K UHD when it comes out in the standard edition, shouldn't be long looks like the £40 one is already sold out :)

The 4K restorations on blu are head and shoulders above the average bread and butter blu. StudioCanal's Fifth Element that i watched last week was the best thing i've seen to date. Utterly stunning.

It was weird how almost automatically i upped my tv picture from standard to Dynamic around 26 minutes in during Basic Instinct. :lol:

Justin101 19th June 2021 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 654531)
The 4K restorations on blu are head and shoulders above the average bread and butter blu. StudioCanal's Fifth Element that i watched last week was the best thing i've seen to date. Utterly stunning.

It was weird how almost automatically i upped my tv picture from standard to Dynamic around 26 minutes in during Basic Instinct. :lol:

It is weird :lol:

Studio Canal, despite being fairly quiet on the bluray front for a long time, have certainly upped their game in recent years! The 4 John Carpenter films, Don't Look Now, Total Recall, Flash Gordon, Bill & Ted... all fantastic releases. And with The Howling and Near Dark forthcoming!!

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2021 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How good is the image quality of The Masque of the Red Death blu?

I bought the dvd when it came out earlier this year but haven't watched it yet. Thought i might cut my losses and sell it and buy the blu if it's really good.

Justin101 19th June 2021 10:45 PM

I can't compare it to the new DVD but next to the old one this is like watching the film for the first time. It is really gorgeous looking.