Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   Studio Canal / Studio Canal Vintage Classics - Classic British Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/13120-studio-canal-studio-canal-vintage-classics-classic-british-films.html)

Nuno_Miranda 14th February 2024 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuno_Miranda (Post 693424)
I didn't know, thanks fot the heads-up! But not even those two could make me buy that BR. I was very disappointed with that movie, when I watched it a few weeks ago. Maybe it was Michael Gough's performance that was too histrionic for my taste. Maybe it was the fact that I spotted the killer in the first few minutes. Maybe it's the story that doesn't even make much sense -- and I say this after trying to explain the plot of The Mole People to my wife yesterday afternoon! I will hear KN's commentary, though, should it appear in... other places...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 693425)
It's not the greatest is it. Gough hams it up constantly.

I must say this, because opinions must be revisited in light of new information :cool:

After the disappointment some time ago of the film per se, i came upon the commentary by Newman/Jones for Horrors of the Black Museum, and watched/heard it last night. Well, it' still as very bad movie, but those two managed to make me see it in a somewhat different light. it's not as if they managed to "explain" it. It's beyond that, I think. It's such a bizarre film, with such bizarre choices (wtf is the computer doing there?!). When you're watching a film that hits you the wrong way right from the beginning, you tend to overlook some nice touches that come up later, and a good commentary can help you see them. The tone is "well, it's a bizarre and possibly shitty movie, but there are nice things in it which we can have fun with, and we'll guide you along". It can't be easy to do a commentary with Kim Newman, mostly because he's a such a steamroller and wonderful fountain of information and comment that the other commenters end up struggling to get some words edge-wise. Stephen Jones is one of the few who can hold his own with Newman, and in this particular case he seems to be the big fan of the fim and his excitement crosses over. Newman ends up, very unsually, trying to keep up! For that alone, it's worth it. Also excellent transfer on the BR, I had watched the DVD and the difference is astounding.

Will I watch it again? I honestly doubt it. But I'm very glad I gave the commentary a chance.

Rob4 26th April 2024 05:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Soldier Blue coming soon

gag 26th April 2024 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 698221)
Soldier Blue coming soon

Fantastic film been years since I've seen it.

peter alex 26th April 2024 06:18 PM

just hope its not cut.

Justin101 26th April 2024 07:13 PM

It will be cut for horse falls, I can't see them waiving it. I'll still be buying it though, no one needs to see animals being treated cruelly.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th April 2024 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 698232)
It will be cut for horse falls, I can't see them waiving it. I'll still be buying it though, no one needs to see animals being treated cruelly.

I've never seen Soldier Blue so, if I do buy it, I won't what I don't know is missing, especially if it's horse falls.

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th April 2024 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 698232)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 698238)
I've never seen Soldier Blue so, if I do buy it, I won't what I don't know is missing, especially if it's horse falls.

Trust me when i say this.

It's not merely horse falls it was cut for. However i'm pretty sure the UK dvd i have is the uncut version, minus the horse falls of course.

As far as i'm aware there is no longer cut at all and the rumoured work print has never been shown anywhere other than a single test screening but this could be bullshit as the only place i've ever seen this mentioned is on IMDB by an uncredited source.

Whichever though Soldier Blue is still an incredibly violent western, we're talking Italian splatter violent not simply in western movie stakes.

Rob4 26th April 2024 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 698238)

Probably because the final scenes are based on a true incident, even to this day I find it a hard watch. But I guess it proves I'm not totally desensitized...

...a proper horror film if ever there was one!

Graveyard 27th April 2024 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 698221)
Soldier Blue coming soon

Yes! Amazing news - I'm going to pre order this one. :loveeyes:

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th April 2024 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graveyard (Post 698253)
Yes! Amazing news - I'm going to pre order this one. :loveeyes:

I wouldn't if i were you. Hopefully a one off but Devil Girl from Mars, in the same range, had sync issues and discs had to be replaced, meanwhile High Crime featured the truncated ending missing ten minutes.

I barely ever pre-order now. Things either get messed up or in the case of 88's Walker box set delayed for over a year. I've been burnt enough.

With Soldier Blue i'd definitely need to know it was uncut but for horse falls before buying.