Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   Premium Collection (HMV Exclusives) Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/13467-premium-collection-hmv-exclusives-thread.html)

Frankenhooker 6th March 2017 09:22 PM

To be honest, I was completely nonplussed about this label, there wasn't anything I fancied at all. Then they announced Performance and The Hunger, I pre-ordered both. Two absolutely fantastic titles.

Buboven 6th March 2017 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE (Post 523831)
I don't know really, maybe a bit more horror and less studio classics. Gremlins 2 and Little Shop are the only two that have caught my interest so far. Do Warner have the UK rights to A Quiet Place in the Country and Blow Up because they'd really interest me. I'm not saying the titles put out so far are bad they just don't personally interest me, like Little Shop and Gremlins 2.

Surely THEM and Forbidden Planet are a must in anyone's collection!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 7th March 2017 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buboven (Post 523846)
Surely THEM and Forbidden Planet are a must in anyone's collection!

Both have been available much cheaper for far longer though. In the case of Forbidden Planet it even has a previous UK Blu release, whilst the US Blu of Them could be picked up for almost half of what the UK Premium release goes for.

I do like the idea behind the line and also like that Warner UK are working with HMV to try and target collectors rather than slapping a disc out with little to no fanfare. Whilst the films themselves are largely very good, as Frankenhooker mentioned above, the line hasn't really enthused me until the announcement of The Hunger and Performance a few days ago. Now it appears as if the doors have been opened up to more riskier titles along with the more mainstream 'bread and butter' fare, which is an exciting prospect indeed.

Deadite 7th March 2017 08:07 AM

I want most of this line. It's just a matter of juggling funds over the next few months.

J Harker 12th March 2017 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 523864)
I want most of this line. It's just a matter of juggling funds over the next few months.

Likewise on both counts.

Justin101 12th March 2017 10:44 AM

I'm looking forward to buying Jason and the Argonauts tomorrow, that was one of my favourites as a child, scared the pants off me though :lol:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th March 2017 08:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
IF ONLY we could have these.With this artwork.....
I have the boxset,but these first two are classics.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th March 2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 524709)
IF ONLY we could have these.With this artwork.....
I have the boxset,but these first two are classics.

is the blu for Vacation wrongly framed ala the dvd?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 15th March 2017 04:58 PM

Watched it last night.
Don't think so....:confused:

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th March 2017 06:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It's one of those films where it's never been shown on home video in it's correct AR.

The 1:33:1 version has more image top and bottom but the widescreen 1:85:1 has more image at the sides meaning neither version is the correct AR.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th March 2017 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 524793)
It's one of those films where it's never been shown on home video in it's correct AR.

The 1:33:1 version has more image top and bottom but the widescreen 1:85:1 has more image at the sides meaning neither version is the correct AR.

In that sense, it's a little like The Evil Dead – I prefer the 'open matte' version because that was how it was originally shown and there is more information on the screen, but the widescreen presentation is a little more 'cinematic'.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th March 2017 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 524794)
In that sense, it's a little like The Evil Dead – I prefer the 'open matte' version because that was how it was originally shown and there is more information on the screen, but the widescreen presentation is a little more 'cinematic'.

I think it only came to light due to the shower sequence because her breasts are on screen more in the 1:33:1 version. :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th March 2017 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 524795)
I think it only came to light due to the shower sequence because her breasts are on screen more in the 1:33:1 version. :lol:

I haven't seen Vacation, so I'll take your word for it!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th March 2017 05:07 PM

As long as Ms. D'Angelo's fine acting assests are visible.....:lol:

Dave Boy 17th March 2017 08:55 AM

In the original theatrical cut and the Warner VHS the music when Christie Brinkley drives past Chevy Chase was The Pointer Sisters 'I'm So Excited'.
In TV showings and a DVD I watched, the song is now missing from the two scenes and has been replaced by the June Pointer song 'Little Boy Sweet' which was originally only heard later in the film when Chevy meets with Christie again.
'I'm so excited' was also for some reason missing from the soundtrack album.

What version is the Blu-ray ??

ORIGINAL VERSION VHS AND THEATRICAL CUT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eewmqr-nqnY

J Harker 17th March 2017 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 524939)
In the original theatrical cut and the Warner VHS the music when Christie Brinkley drives past Chevy Chase was The Pointer Sisters 'I'm So Excited'.
In TV showings and a DVD I watched, the song is now missing from the two scenes and has been replaced by the June Pointer song 'Little Boy Sweet' which was originally only heard later in the film when Chevy meets with Christie again.
'I'm so excited' was also for some reason missing from the soundtrack album.

What version is the Blu-ray ??

ORIGINAL VERSION VHS AND THEATRICAL CUT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eewmqr-nqnY

Little Boy Sweet. Just checked.

Dave Boy 17th March 2017 12:17 PM

Okay thanks for the info.
Shame the original song is missing now.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th March 2017 05:28 PM

Yeah I wondered about that-I watched the credits and 'I'm so excited' was listed in the songs,but is missing from the BD.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th March 2017 08:59 PM

A couple more titles added to the collection:

http://media.store.hmv.com/app_/resp...8543.jpg?w=500 http://media.store.hmv.com/app_/resp...8547.jpg?w=500

Stephen@Cult Labs 17th March 2017 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 525042)

Oh, ok. Guess they aren't going with original poster art with them all after all.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th March 2017 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 525042)

As I don't own either of those on any format, that is brilliant news.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 18th March 2017 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Titles just get better,although I don't know who came up with that Outland artwork....:confused:

Original is....

Stephen@Cult Labs 18th March 2017 09:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 525087)
Titles just get better,although I don't know who came up with that Outland artwork....:confused:

Original is....

Yeah, they're just being lazy with this one. Hell, there are other blu's out there that use the same images, but look a lot better.

Attachment 188434

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st April 2017 07:15 PM

Another entry into the collection due to be released in May:

http://media.store.hmv.com/app_/resp...6734.jpg?w=500

Paul@TheOverlook 1st April 2017 07:17 PM

I wonder if this will have lossless audio? I'm pretty sure the US release is compressed 5.1.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st April 2017 07:24 PM

I've never seen that, despite liking Dick's prose. Is it any good?

Demoncrat 1st April 2017 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 526480)

Closest thing to his style you will get imho...;).
Whatever happened to the Gondry Ubik ??:confused:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st April 2017 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 526480)

It's apparently a very faithful adaptation of Dick's source material (I say 'apparently' as I haven't read it myself). The Rotoscope visuals certainly give it a more unique/novelty feel and aid the plot well. Whilst a little muddled and messy at times (I chalk that up to Linklater's direction more than anything as I find him very 'high-school stoner' in how he approaches film-making as I also enjoy Dick's prose style), overall I rather enjoyed it.

Rob4 2nd April 2017 09:26 AM

i've not seen the movie but have read the book and its one of my favourite of Dick's. you can tell a lot of it was autobiographical even within the context of the sci-fi setting. the girl shooting up the coca-cola lorry is my favourite part - the writing just hits the sweet spot in every way.

Frankenhooker 2nd April 2017 09:55 AM

I really like A Scanner Darkly, I can't say how successful an adaptation it is as I haven't read the source material.

Another of these titles I'm picking up, the last three announcements have been my favourite. The Hunger, Performance and now this.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th April 2017 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 526488)
It's apparently a very faithful adaptation of Dick's source material (I say 'apparently' as I haven't read it myself). The Rotoscope visuals certainly give it a more unique/novelty feel and aid the plot well. Whilst a little muddled and messy at times (I chalk that up to Linklater's direction more than anything as I find him very 'high-school stoner' in how he approaches film-making as I also enjoy Dick's prose style), overall I rather enjoyed it.

Although it's been quite a few years since I read the book and saw the film (even though I own the R1 DVD), I remember it being a very faithful adaptation and being very impressed with the screenplay and overall hallucinatory effect the rotoscoping provides.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th April 2017 12:13 PM

Just a heads-up that vanilla versions of some of these (no slipcase, art cards) have started appearing in certain supermarkets at £8 a pop.

Justin101 11th April 2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 527796)
Just a heads-up that vanilla versions of some of these (no slipcase, art cards) have started appearing in certain supermarkets at £8 a pop.

That's good to know, there are a few that I want but not at £15.00 :clap:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 12th April 2017 04:33 PM

HMV have shipped my copy of The Hunger!

No movement on Performance as yet though.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 12th April 2017 04:47 PM

I'll pick up both on Monday.;)

Justin101 13th April 2017 08:54 AM

Not sure if people have already seen this? Gattaca 8th May

http://media.store.hmv.com/app_/resp...7443.jpg?w=700

I'm pleased, one of my favourite 90s SciFi films. I'll probably get it in a 2 for £25.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 13th April 2017 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 528066)
Not sure if people have already seen this? Gattaca 8th May

I'm pleased, one of my favourite 90s SciFi films. I'll probably get it in a 2 for £25.

Ditto, on all counts.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 13th April 2017 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 527974)
HMV have shipped my copy of The Hunger!

No movement on Performance as yet though.

Performance also shipped this morning!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th April 2017 05:34 PM

Reversible art!
Hopefully the start of a new trend!

Justin101 13th April 2017 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 528115)
Reversible art!
Hopefully the start of a new trend!

Aye, but the one of the front is the proper one anyway :lol: