Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   Code Red (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/1659-code-red.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd July 2016 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 498104)
I also still blind buy (although nowhere near as much as I used to!), but Code Red Blu-ray blind-buying can be an expensive game of Russian roulette. At least the titles hold their re-sale value; not that I've ever gotten rid of a Code Red title (aside from DVD -> BD upgrades).

I generally check out films I'm not sure about via Love Film and Youtube etc. which have saved me countless times blind-buying tat that I'd then have the hassle of re-selling at a loss. It does work both ways though, as my 'to-buy' list has also grown a lot thanks to checking out some good stuff in advance of purchasing that I now want to own.

Have you seen High Rise yet?

I thought you'd be all over that being Wheatley and Ballard. Total arthouse heaven! :lol:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 22nd July 2016 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 498107)
Have you seen High Rise yet?

I thought you'd be all over that being Wheatley and Ballard. Total arthouse heaven! :lol:

It's on my rental list! :D

High-Rise, The Neon Demon and The Witch is like my Holy Trinity for 2015. :happy:

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd July 2016 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 498111)
It's on my rental list! :D

High-Rise, The Neon Demon and The Witch is like my Holy Trinity for 2015. :happy:

That's where we differ. You see if i rented it then i probably wouldn't buy it until i next wanted to see it.

In the case of A Field in England which i watched the premier of Film 4, i still haven't bothered buying it.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 22nd July 2016 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 498112)
That's where we differ. You see if i rented it then i probably wouldn't buy it until i next wanted to see it.

I'm the same though - and by then the price would have dropped dramatically. ;)

I only bought Kill List last year for about a fiver - the limited edition Zavvi exclusive BD steelbook too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 498112)
In the case of A Field in England which i watched the premier of Film 4, i still haven't bothered buying it.

I think A Field in England was one I actually blind bought as it was only about £6 for the Blu from Amazon not long after release.

Deadite 22nd July 2016 12:19 PM

Sorry, but A Field in England is pants. :hide:

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd July 2016 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 498141)
Sorry, but A Field in England is pants. :hide:

Do you know what an infraction is?

;) :lol: :poke:

Deadite 22nd July 2016 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 498146)
Do you know what an infraction is?

;) :lol: :poke:

The first resort of a tiny mind? :lol:

There was a time i would have banned 5 people before lunchtime! Glad i no longer admin any boards. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd July 2016 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 498148)
The first resort of a tiny mind? :lol:

There was a time i would have banned 5 people before lunchtime! Glad i no longer admin any boards. :nod:

You're lucky i have a tiny mind or you'd have been gone by lunchtime...14th November last year. :nod: :axekiller:

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd July 2016 01:13 PM

Anyway :focus:

Quite a few here seem to collect everything Code Red on blu.

Did you all buy each and every dvd when they came out and were easier to get hold of or is it something new to you?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 22nd July 2016 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 498156)
Anyway :focus:

Quite a few here seem to collect everything Code Red on blu.

Did you all buy each and every dvd when they came out and were easier to get hold of or is it something new to you?

I for one don't collect everything CR... just the titles I like (the same goes for any label). I think the issue with Code Red releases now is that you've pretty much got to jump on them as soon as they appear as it could be a case of 'here today, gone tomorrow' in an all too literal sense unfortunately. This has meant I've perhaps picked up a few titles that if they were released by other companies in non-limited editions I may have waited to purchase. Conversely, they've also released a lot of titles that if they had of been more widely available and for a cheaper price, I would have been more inclined to take a chance on a blind buy and picked them up rather than balking at the high price for what is essentially some z-grade schlock - not that there is anything wrong with z-grade schlock of course. ;)

As mentioned above, my 'hardcore' DVD buying only spanned about 3 years, so even though in that time I did pick a fair few Code Red releases, I was only chipping into a fairly sizeable catalogue of titles most of which I'd never seven heard of, least of all seen.

Reading Blu-rage, a fair few of the (at least vocal) people who buy Code Red's product don't seem to have been around (or at least not buying DVDs anyway) when CR was releasing product to stores - plus to be fair that was during DVD's heyday when there was so much great product coming from lots of companies (the major studios included). A swamped market with a lot of choice meant that it was easy for releases to not get the attention they may have deserved by a lot of fans, I guess.