Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   Blue Underground Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/175-blue-underground-thread.html)

Daemonia 16th December 2014 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 428762)
I've been wanting to replace my old region free Anchor Bay DVD of The New York Ripper for a while now, so have decided to buy the Blue Underground Blu-ray from Diabolik DVD. It's my first time ordering from this company as it was difficult to get hold of a new copy of NYR from Amazon UK. Is Diabolik a reliable company? And if my parcel gets opened by UK customs is there a chance it could get seized? I know there's only a few seconds cut from the UK release but when it comes to Fulci, I only buy uncut.

The odd times I've used Diabolik they've been fast and reliable.

The upgrade to blu-ray is immense on this film. I was mightily impressed with the transfer on this blu from BU. :)

Demoncrat 17th December 2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 428771)
The odd times I've used Diabolik they've been fast and reliable.

The upgrade to blu-ray is immense on this film. I was mightily impressed with the transfer on this blu from BU. :)

Diabolik have always come through for me as well.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th December 2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

I've been wanting to replace my old region free Anchor Bay DVD of The New York Ripper for a while now, so have decided to buy the Blue Underground Blu-ray from Diabolik DVD. It's my first time ordering from this company as it was difficult to get hold of a new copy of NYR from Amazon UK. Is Diabolik a reliable company? And if my parcel gets opened by UK customs is there a chance it could get seized? I know there's only a few seconds cut from the UK release but when it comes to Fulci, I only buy uncut.

Diabolik are sound and the BU transfer of NYR looks amazing!

R-T-C Tim 18th December 2014 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 428759)
It's never been cut in the UK. The theatrical release was only rated an 'A' (PG) and on home video got pushed up to a 15 for some reason. Mind you, it was rated 15 for home video at the height of the James Bulger/Child's Play debacle, which might account for its harsher rating at this time, as the BBFC were having a hissy fit over horror films at this point in time.

Might there not have been some 'pressure' to encourage a 15 rating? I believe the BBFC have been quite open to suggestions to up a rating in the past (apparently some of the later Amicus horror films were looking at A ratings when they wanted an X).

Quote:

...And if my parcel gets opened by UK customs is there a chance it could get seized? I know there's only a few seconds cut from the UK release but when it comes to Fulci, I only buy uncut.

Next to impossible. I have ordered scores of DVDs from the US and overseas, several of which are banned and a great many of which have no certification in the UK and never had a hint of bother. To be at risk, they would have to be titles that have actually been subject to a court ruling of 'obscenity'.

The cuts in NYR are policy cuts based on the BBFC's self-determined morality rules and theoretically to avoid the film being potentially subject to an obscenity trial. It is important to note that the BBFC have no legal ability to outlaw or even insist on cuts to a film, they can just choose not to issue a rating. It is only that because under UK law it is illegal to sell a DVD that does not have a BBFC rating they can ipso facto control the film's availability for display or purchase in the UK. Only a film actually subject to an obscenity court ruling, or one that contains footage actually made illegal by UK law (eg. animal cruelty or indecent images of a child) can be actually seized.

Scyther 18th December 2014 09:47 PM

Diabolik has always done right by me, as well!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th December 2014 09:59 PM

Me too - although I never use them to order BU discs... they're much cheaper from Amazon marketplace sellers.

Daemonia 23rd December 2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-T-C Tim (Post 428925)
Might there not have been some 'pressure' to encourage a 15 rating? I believe the BBFC have been quite open to suggestions to up a rating in the past (apparently some of the later Amicus horror films were looking at A ratings when they wanted an X).

Doubtful. Amicus films, even when they were recently released on DVD, still garnered 15 certificates, which means that back in the day they undoubtedly would have been granted X certificates.

One trick that Vipco did employ in the 90's, though, was to include trailers that were rated 18 so that the entire VHS package had to display an 18 certificate, even if the actual film was a lower rated affair.

Vampix 23rd December 2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 428932)
Me too - although I never use them to order BU discs... they're much cheaper from Amazon marketplace sellers.

I tried to buy a brand new copy of BU's New York Ripper from Amazon UK, but I had a very hard time trying to find a company that sold them and I don't like buying second hand discs. That's why I chose Diabolik. :)

Crimson Blade 23rd December 2014 02:37 PM

Does anyone know if the Midnight Movie collections contain the films in separate boxes with the individual covers? Or are they just 3 discs bundled into one case?

Rondadoronron 23rd December 2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Blade (Post 429379)
Does anyone know if the Midnight Movie collections contain the films in separate boxes with the individual covers? Or are they just 3 discs bundled into one case?

Yeah there just two/three discs put into one case.

Crimson Blade 23rd December 2014 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rondadoronron (Post 429380)
Yeah there just two/three discs put into one case.

Thanks.
Don't think i'll bother as i was hoping to swap the films i already had.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 2nd December 2015 06:57 AM

Upcoming from BU:

Quote:

Independent U.S. distributors Blue Underground have confirmed that they will release on Blu-ray cult Spanish director Jess Franco's film The Girl From Rio (1969), starring Shirley Eaton, Maria Rohm, Richard Wyler, George Sanders, Marta Reves, and Elisa Montés.

The upcoming Blu-ray release will also include Franco's film The Million Eyes of Sumur (1967), which is the prequel to The Girl From Rio.

The Girl From Rio

In the tradition of Barbarella and Danger: Diabolik comes this swinging '60s action orgy as bisexual super-villain Sumitra (the luscious Shirley Eaton of Goldfinger and The Blood Of Fu Manchu) launches a diabolical plan to enslave the male species with her army of lusty warrior women. But when Sumitra kidnaps a fugitive American playboy, she crosses a sadistic crime boss (Academy Award winner George Sanders of All About Eve and Village Of The Damned) and ignites a battle of the sexes that will bring Brazil to its knees in more ways than one. Get ready to experience director Jess Franco at his most erotic, exotic and bizarre. This is The Girl From Rio!

Richard Wyler (The Bounty Killer) and Maria Rohm (Eugenie, Justine) co-star in this kinky cult favorite (also known as Rio 70, Future Women and The Seven Secrets Of Sumuru), packed with go-go boots, miniskirts and outrageous Jess Franco style. The Girl From Rio is now presented totally uncut and uncensored with all its eye-popping nudity, torture and lesbianism fully restored from original vault elements.

The Million Eyes of Sumur

Sumuru is a beautiful but evil woman who plans world domination by having her sexy all-female army eliminate male leaders and replace them with her female agents. Starring Frankie Avalon, Klaus Kinski, George Nader, Shirley Eaton, and Maria Rohm.

Demoncrat 2nd December 2015 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 469686)
Upcoming from BU:

Well, that's going on the list as this will be the first decent release of Million Eyes I believe.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th February 2016 12:08 PM

I didn't know BU were releasing this Shonteff film.

http://www.blue-underground.com/boxc...-DV-1171_l.jpg

:glitter:

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th February 2016 12:12 PM

Also this -

http://www.blue-underground.com/boxc...-DV-1169_l.jpg

You may as well get the Network release in their next sale...it'll be far cheaper.

If i remember rightly you also get the original UK titles as an extra which is more than the BU disc gives you.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th February 2016 07:18 PM

Hmmmm hope BU isn't veering away from the horror genre......

michal 11th February 2016 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 477434)
Hmmmm hope BU isn't veering away from the horror genre......

Reaper vanom and manhatan baby are coming to blu ray

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th February 2016 08:47 PM

More info on Manhattan Baby:

Quote:

We can finally reveal that our next Lucio Fulci Blu-ray upgrade will be... MANHATTAN BABY! We're working on a new 2K restoration from the original negative, as well as producing a bunch of new special features. More details later, but here's a sneak peek of the 3-Disc Limited Edition cover artwork, along with the alternate "Eye of the Evil Dead" art featured on the reverse side.
https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...a7&oe=5723EAE6

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...46&oe=5722B726

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th February 2016 08:49 PM

I've always loved that 'Eye of the Evil Dead' artwork. So much so in fact that I bought a German grosse DVD hardbox of it a few years ago.

http://dv1.us/p1/623/148623-d0.jpg

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th February 2016 08:56 PM

I'll need to rewatch the Shameless DVD before deciding whether I want upgrade to Blu-ray.

michal 11th February 2016 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 477600)
I'll need to rewatch the Shameless DVD before deciding whether I want upgrade to Blu-ray.

Well do you fan of post new York ripper movie you may like it

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th February 2016 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michal (Post 477601)
Well do you fan of post new York ripper movie you may like it

I do remember thinking it was terrible, but enjoyable. Like I said, I need to watch it again to see whether I should stick with the DVD or pay quite a bit for a three disc Blu-ray box set.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th February 2016 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 477602)
I do remember thinking it was terrible, but enjoyable. Like I said, I need to watch it again to see whether I should stick with the DVD or pay quite a bit for a three disc Blu-ray box set.

I know what i'd do if i were you.

Rik 11th February 2016 11:03 PM

Yeah, no upgrade for me I don't think, only watched it once and fell asleep

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th February 2016 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 477605)
I know what i'd do if i were you.

I'll probably stick with what I have, because I don't love the film, it's not high on my priority list of DVDs to upgrade to Blu-ray, and I don't have much space to display collector's editions!

Mojo 12th February 2016 01:49 PM

I'll be upgrading with this one. Although it is not a Fulci classic, it still does have that 'feel' of the gothic / gore trilogy ( and some of the music! ).
I like it though and have a feeling it could look stunning on blu ray.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 12th February 2016 10:22 PM

One of Fulci's worst IMO.

Great for insomnia.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 12th February 2016 10:24 PM

Let's hope 'sane Bill' can get to work on a Blind Dead HD upgrade.

As I don't own MB on BD though,I'll probably buy this.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 15th February 2016 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Superb-March 31st!

Cracking British film from Piers Haggard.
This one has been neglected since ABUK released it years ago.

Just when I thought you were going down the Franco road Bill! :thankingyou:

Now see.There's a Bill with a brain!:lol:

Paul@TheOverlook 15th February 2016 08:38 PM

YES! :D :cool:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 16th February 2016 10:18 AM

Coming in June:

http://dv1.us/p1/588/255588-d0.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th February 2016 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 478160)

They are releasing Network stuff now it seems. They must have a deal with ITC/ITV.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st February 2016 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Audio Commentary with Director Piers Haggard
Theatrical Trailer
TeaserTrailer
TV Spots
Poster & Still Gallery
BONUS Collectable Booklet featuring new writing by Fangoria Editor Michael Gingold
Color
7.1 DTS-HD; 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround EX; 2.0 DTS-HD / 6.1 DTS-ES; 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround EX; Stereo
English
English SDH, French, Spanish
1.85:1 / 16x9
92 Mins
Rated R
Region Code: ALL

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvFsvtz8j3c

michal 5th May 2016 04:28 PM

Manhattan baby should be soon for pre order plus fun fact the girl who is possessed is not a baby

Just had our first QC of the new MANHATTAN BABY 2K scan. This one should be out in the Fall. We'll announce full details soon, including the list of amazing new Extras produced for our Limited Edition release!
Zdjęcie użytkownika Blue Underground.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 13th June 2016 07:39 AM

Coming in November:

http://dv1.us/p1/148/260148-d0.jpg

Demoncrat 13th June 2016 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 493885)

I will never be solvent again it seems. Will await the deluge of anti Rick comments on Farcebook. Yet again, it's an understated image imo.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th June 2016 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 493894)
I will never be solvent again it seems. Will await the deluge of anti Rick comments on Farcebook. Yet again, it's an understated image imo.

It's an understated film though. It is after all a Towers of London production which weren't the sleaziest of films. You don't get a lot of sleaze from ITV. :lol:

Justin101 13th June 2016 02:42 PM

I like Rick's artwork most of the time, the only exception is that cover for Inferno he did for Arrow :lol: it was so gratuitous haha and it didn't represent the film at all.

michal 26th July 2016 12:49 PM

who is pre ordering Manhattan baby from Diabolik . it has plenty of extras
another must have for die hard fulci fans

Antropophagus 26th July 2016 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michal (Post 498764)
who is pre ordering Manhattan baby from Diabolik . it has plenty of extras
another must have for die hard fulci fans

I'll wait when it's on sale for $10-15. It's the right price for a dud of a film like that.