Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   Blue Underground Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/175-blue-underground-thread.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th December 2014 09:49 AM

Great to see it getting the BD treatment!

Great choice of cover art as well!

Nordicdusk 14th December 2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 428572)
So who else picked up the classic SHOCK WAVES on Blu?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUemv6hW2S8

How does Shock Waves look on blu much in the way if extras?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th December 2014 11:57 AM

I'm definitely going to be picking up both at some point.

Vampix 15th December 2014 10:50 AM

I've always meant to pick up Shock Waves as I have memories of seeing the big, dusty VHS box in my local video shop during the pre-cert days, and seeing the Vipco VHS re-release with the cool cover art during the 90s. For some reason I never got round to getting it though. Is it worth a blind buy, and if so, is there much of a difference (in terms of PQ) between the DVD and Blu-ray?

R-T-C Tim 15th December 2014 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 428647)
I've always meant to pick up Shock Waves as I have memories of seeing the big, dusty VHS box in my local video shop during the pre-cert days, and seeing the Vipco VHS re-release with the cool cover art during the 90s. For some reason I never got round to getting it though. Is it worth a blind buy, and if so, is there much of a difference (in terms of PQ) between the DVD and Blu-ray?

The film was shot on 16mm to create a deliberately grainy look, hopefully with BU doing the transfer it isn't going to have the annoying grain filtering of some recent cult releases.

The film itself is quite understated - although stemming from the 70s, it eschews the blood and guts of the contemporary Eurocult films in favour of characterisation and atmosphere.

I reviewed it some time ago - Shock Waves.

Dave Boy 16th December 2014 09:54 AM

I gotta see Shock Waves again. The last I saw it was years ago on VHS on the Vipco label. Was that cut back then ?

Daemonia 16th December 2014 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 428755)
I gotta see Shock Waves again. The last I saw it was years ago on VHS on the Vipco label. Was that cut back then ?

It's never been cut in the UK. The theatrical release was only rated an 'A' (PG) and on home video got pushed up to a 15 for some reason. Mind you, it was rated 15 for home video at the height of the James Bulger/Child's Play debacle, which might account for its harsher rating at this time, as the BBFC were having a hissy fit over horror films at this point in time.

Vampix 16th December 2014 11:33 AM

I've been wanting to replace my old region free Anchor Bay DVD of The New York Ripper for a while now, so have decided to buy the Blue Underground Blu-ray from Diabolik DVD. It's my first time ordering from this company as it was difficult to get hold of a new copy of NYR from Amazon UK. Is Diabolik a reliable company? And if my parcel gets opened by UK customs is there a chance it could get seized? I know there's only a few seconds cut from the UK release but when it comes to Fulci, I only buy uncut.

Nordicdusk 16th December 2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 428762)
I've been wanting to replace my old region free Anchor Bay DVD of The New York Ripper for a while now, so have decided to buy the Blue Underground Blu-ray from Diabolik DVD. It's my first time ordering from this company as it was difficult to get hold of a new copy of NYR from Amazon UK. Is Diabolik a reliable company? And if my parcel gets opened by UK customs is there a chance it could get seized? I know there's only a few seconds cut from the UK release but when it comes to Fulci, I only buy uncut.

Only recently I started to order off Diabolik I never had any problems with them very fast getting the stuff too me.

Rik 16th December 2014 11:43 AM

Only problem I had with them is the box of my Cannibal Holocaust BD being crushed, but after a brief exchange of emails with Jason, I was sent a replacement box free of charge.

I upgraded my BU NYR to BD months ago and it's still sat sealed on my shelf, so I can't comment on the upgrade itself, but it did arrive without any customs issues (from All Your Music if I remember correctly)