All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1457Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th October 2018, 08:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default wurzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I don't dislike it (The only Hammer horror i don't like is Phantom of the Opera) but it's nowhere near top ten status. Take away the zombies coming out of the ground and it's instantly forgettable.
Yeah its a realistic portrayal of Cornwall,dull and boring and full of brain dead lumbering yokels....I jest of course..there's probably a lot of in-breeding as well....

Old 8th October 2018, 08:10 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I don't dislike it (The only Hammer horror i don't like is Phantom of the Opera) but it's nowhere near top ten status. Take away the zombies coming out of the ground and it's instantly forgettable.
oh i don't know, i think it has more going for it than that and is pretty graphic for '66. the coffin over the bridge with the gruesome body, the nearly rape scene with the huntsmen, the squire is an above average villain, the zombie throwing Jacqueline Pierce down the hill and above all else Jacqueline Pierce's still quite effective decapitation.

Agreed, The Phantom of the Opera is pretty naff.
Old 8th October 2018, 01:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Phantom of the Opera is one of the few Hammers that i have never seen.

But I do like Plague of the Zombies. I thought it was excellent and really creepy.
Never seen a Hammer film yet that I havent liked
Old 8th October 2018, 01:50 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
oh i don't know, i think it has more going for it than that and is pretty graphic for '66. the coffin over the bridge with the gruesome body, the nearly rape scene with the huntsmen, the squire is an above average villain, the zombie throwing Jacqueline Pierce down the hill and above all else Jacqueline Pierce's still quite effective decapitation.

Agreed, The Phantom of the Opera is pretty naff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zombie View Post
Phantom of the Opera is one of the few Hammers that i have never seen.

But I do like Plague of the Zombies. I thought it was excellent and really creepy.
Never seen a Hammer film yet that I havent liked
I don't want to sound like an arrogant twat but i've loved Hammer films since i was a child. I've bought them on pre-cert vhs, sell thru vhs and now dvd and blu-ray. I've read so many books and watched so many interviews that i almost feel an expert in the subject. If i don't know an answer to something then i know exactly where to look (And i don't mean bloody Wikipedia).

It's because of this i feel i can be critical of Hammer's output. Not in a nasty way but in a caring way. It's like supporting a football team. You can watch them every week and love doing it but you also are able to cast a critical eye to their flaws without losing any of that love.

Just because i say Plague of the Zombies is forgettable doesn't mean i don't actually like it. When i say something about a Hammer film it's in comparison to other Hammer films not say something like Don't Breathe which was forgettable, cliched and dire in almost every way imaginable.

I'm sure many of you also feel this love i mention. Be it about Hammer, giallo, Argento, slashers, whichever.
Old 8th October 2018, 03:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I don't want to sound like an arrogant twat but i've loved Hammer films since i was a child. I've bought them on pre-cert vhs, sell thru vhs and now dvd and blu-ray. I've read so many books and watched so many interviews that i almost feel an expert in the subject. If i don't know an answer to something then i know exactly where to look (And i don't mean bloody Wikipedia).

It's because of this i feel i can be critical of Hammer's output. Not in a nasty way but in a caring way. It's like supporting a football team. You can watch them every week and love doing it but you also are able to cast a critical eye to their flaws without losing any of that love.

Just because i say Plague of the Zombies is forgettable doesn't mean i don't actually like it. When i say something about a Hammer film it's in comparison to other Hammer films not say something like Don't Breathe which was forgettable, cliched and dire in almost every way imaginable.

I'm sure many of you also feel this love i mention. Be it about Hammer, giallo, Argento, slashers, whichever.
hey Dem, i wasn't being critical of your personal opinion, just offering an opposing opinion for a Hammer I really like. though i don't profess your expertise i have also been a Hammer fan (unknowingly at first because i was too young to know films were made by different companies) since the age of five (saw my first in 1971). in films as in life there is always disagreement and it wouldn't do for us all to be the same. at least we agree on our love for Hammer in general

PS i'd like your post but its not letting me atm
Old 8th October 2018, 04:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
hey Dem, i wasn't being critical of your personal opinion,

PS i'd like your post but its not letting me atm
I know you weren't Rob. Never thought that for a second.

I was just attempting to justify (badly) why i occasionally criticise films from the genre i adore.

Thank you.
Rob4 likes this.
Old 8th October 2018, 07:42 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Anyone else bought the Indicator Hammer blu-ray sets? Some great lesser known films in them (a lot non-horror).

I watched the war films The Camp on Blood Island and Yesterday’s Enemy at the weekend, along with The Stranglers of Bombay.

And if anyone hasn’t seen it, I can’t recommend Cash on Demand enough, a little gem of a film starring Peter Cushing and Andre Morell enough.
Old 8th October 2018, 07:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Anyone else bought the Indicator Hammer blu-ray sets? Some great lesser known films in them (a lot non-horror).

I watched the war films The Camp on Blood Island and Yesterday’s Enemy at the weekend, along with The Stranglers of Bombay.

And if anyone hasn’t seen it, I can’t recommend Cash on Demand enough, a little gem of a film starring Peter Cushing and Andre Morell enough.
Cash on Demand is a proper gem isn't it. One of Hammer's best full stop. in my opinion.

Do those Indicator sets have tons of extras? I'm loathe to buy something i can't play but still really want them.

I know there's a simple answer to the problem.
Old 8th October 2018, 08:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Got to laugh as i've just ordered the dual format Plague of the Zombies (new) for £8.60 delivered from Momox.
Stephen@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 8th October 2018, 09:09 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Cash on Demand is a proper gem isn't it. One of Hammer's best full stop. in my opinion.

Do those Indicator sets have tons of extras? I'm loathe to buy something i can't play but still really want them.

I know there's a simple answer to the problem.

It sure is, and with it being set during the holiday season, I’m adding it to mu annual Christmas movies pile.

Yeah Indicator stack almost all of their releases with extras. I’m not going to say what the answer is mate
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!