Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   Cayman Classic Horror Collection (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/3699-cayman-classic-horror-collection.html)

antmumford 1st October 2010 05:15 PM

Cayman Classic Horror Collection

As some of you may already be aware Poundland are currently releasing the Cayman Classic Horror Collection as part of their Halloween stock of DVDs. I've managed to pick up 18 :dance: of them so far and was hoping to grab some more of the collection. Here is the list of titles and catalogue numbers for your reference and if you can help me fill in the blanks I'd really appreciate it :)

AMB3989 - The Bat
AMB3990 -
AMB3991 - Plan 9 From Outer Space
AMB3992 - House on Haunted Hill
AMB3993 - Attack of the Crab Monsters
AMB3994 - The Giant Leeches
AMB3995 - The Thing From Another World
AMB3996 -
AMB3997 -
AMB3998 -
AMB3999 -
AMB4000 -
AMB4001 -
AMB4002 -
AMB4003 -
AMB4004 -
AMB4005 -
AMB4006 -
AMB4007 - The Little Shop of Horrors
AMB4008 - King of the Zombies
AMB4009 - The Brain That Wouldn't Die
AMB4010 - Fiend Without A Face
AMB4011 -
AMB4012 - The Terror
AMB4013 - White Zombie
AMB4014 -
AMB4015 -
AMB4016 -
AMB4017 - Indestructible Man
AMB4018 - The Wasp Woman
AMB4019 - The Killer Shrews
AMB4020 -
AMB4021 -
AMB4022 -
AMB4023 -
AMB4024 -
AMB4025 - Doomed To Die
AMB4026 - The Fatal Hour
AMB4027 - Invisible Ghost

All of the DVDs have the original artwork on the covers. Have a look at the pictures Inspector Tanzi took and posted here. Please check your local Poundland to see for yourselves, if you find any others please let me know :pop2:

Cheers guys!

pedromonkey 1st October 2010 08:37 PM

whats the picture quality like on the films Ant?

antmumford 1st October 2010 09:37 PM

I haven't had chance to watch one yet (!) but others on the Poundland Thread said they're really good and surprised considering the price.

pedromonkey 1st October 2010 10:04 PM

im gonna have to venture into my local poundland and check if they have any because all of the ones that have been mentioned are priority on my to buy list and have been for some time...

antmumford 1st October 2010 10:08 PM

If you don't find what you're looking for give me a shout and I'll pop into my local stores and see what I can get you :)

And if you see any that I haven't got, do you mind picking them up for me?

bdc 2nd October 2010 08:19 PM

Found this list on the CHFB

"Seems that they could be adding more titles. Hope it continues.

So far the titles are..

THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD
FIEND WITHOUT A FACE
THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE
THE WASP WOMAN
ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS
THE KILLER SHREWS
INDESTUCTIBLE MAN
KING OF THE ZOMBIES
PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE
HORRORS OF SPIDER ISLAND (Recalled ??)
THE BAT
INVISIBLE GHOST
BEAST WITH 1,000,000 EYES (Unconfirmed,possible recall ??)
THE SCREAMING SKULL
WHITE ZOMBIE
THE TERROR
THE GIANT LEECHES
LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS
CREATURE FROM THE HAUNTED SEA
HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL
DOOMED TO DIE
FATAL HOUR"

Horrors of Spider Island was recalled.
And you can add The Monster Maker,The Phantom from 10.000 Leagues and The Monster walks (all recalled).
Thanks to Tanzi for his info. ;)

RedEyeTheCylon 2nd October 2010 11:41 PM

Does anyone know if they're going to be sorting the problem with the four recalled DVDs and restocking them? Thanks!

the blob 3rd October 2010 03:09 AM

My dad picked up White Zombie, Indestructible Man, Invisible Ghost and The Terror from the Ipswich Poundland for me. He says there are about another 15 or 20 titles there. May have to get him to grab the lot. :)

antmumford 3rd October 2010 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 106137)
Found this list on the CHFB

"Seems that they could be adding more titles. Hope it continues.

So far the titles are..

THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD
FIEND WITHOUT A FACE
THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE
THE WASP WOMAN
ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS
THE KILLER SHREWS
INDESTUCTIBLE MAN
KING OF THE ZOMBIES
PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE
HORRORS OF SPIDER ISLAND (Recalled ??)
THE BAT
INVISIBLE GHOST
BEAST WITH 1,000,000 EYES (Unconfirmed,possible recall ??)
THE SCREAMING SKULL
WHITE ZOMBIE
THE TERROR
THE GIANT LEECHES
LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS
CREATURE FROM THE HAUNTED SEA
HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL
DOOMED TO DIE
FATAL HOUR"

Horrors of Spider Island was recalled.
And you can add The Monster Maker,The Phantom from 10.000 Leagues and The Monster walks (all recalled).
Thanks to Tanzi for his info. ;)

What site did you see this on mate?

bdc 3rd October 2010 10:29 AM

Here you go antmumford:
Classic Horror Film Board - Message Board

antmumford 3rd October 2010 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 106193)

Cheers buddy, so according to that list I only need Creature From The Haunted Sea and The Screaming Skull....... so far anyway. Result!

the blob 5th October 2010 12:32 PM

My Dad went back and grabbed the following as well, which was all they had left at the moment:

Screaming Skull.
The Fatal Hour.
Doomed To Die.
King Of The Zombies.
The Bat.
The Little Shoppe Of Horrors.
The Brain That Woudn't Die.
The Giant Leeches.
The Killer Shrews.

So no new titles in Ipswich yet then..

Pete 5th October 2010 12:40 PM

They didn't have any when I checked my local £Land yesterday.

antmumford 5th October 2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 106195)
Cheers buddy, so according to that list I only need Creature From The Haunted Sea and The Screaming Skull....... so far anyway. Result!

I don't suppose anyone would mind picking me up these 2 titles from their store if you know they're there?

Gojirosan 5th October 2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 106624)
They didn't have any when I checked my local £Land yesterday.

In The Strand? I bought loads there the other day. They aren't with the other DVDs but on their own stand by the Hallowe'en clothes and toys.

As I am stuck in ill today ( :( ) I think I shall finally unwarap a few of these and see what they look like.

RedEyeTheCylon 5th October 2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 106625)
I don't suppose anyone would mind picking me up these 2 titles from their store if you know they're there?

I was in my local Poundland today and they still had plenty of each of those so I can get you them if you want?

Pete 6th October 2010 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 106641)
In The Strand? I bought loads there the other day. They aren't with the other DVDs but on their own stand by the Hallowe'en clothes and toys.

As I am stuck in ill today ( :( ) I think I shall finally unwarap a few of these and see what they look like.

Ah, I didn't look at the Halloween stuff, just went straight to the dvd section and then the biscuits.:doh:

RedEyeTheCylon 6th October 2010 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 106625)

Ant, I'm sorry I havn't been able to reply to your PM, at the moment I havn't posted enough in order to be able to do so, so I've left you a message on your profile. I'm going back in to Pundland tomorrow so I'll get both the DVD's for you then. Thanks!

the blob 6th October 2010 08:14 PM

My dad's haul from today in Ipswich:

Fiend Without A Face.
The Thing.
Creature From The Haunted Sea.
House On Haunted Hill.
The Wasp Woman.
Attack Of The Crab Monsters.

Gojirosan 7th October 2010 12:29 PM

Actually watched three of these now and quality is variable to say the least!

Despite being from a VHS source The Bat looks pretty good and is perfectly watchable. Just a couple of tape wobbles. Great film too, I loved its live action Scooby Doo shenanigans!

The Brain That Wouldn't Die is 1) the cut version 2) has a mysterious black gap for what seems like ages about an hour in 3) switches from a decent source to a crappy blurry source at times.

The Giant Leeches is a mess. It's zoomed in to 16:9 cropping top and bottom and looks like it has been firstly optically transferred from 35mm to 16mm then to tape them to avi/DivX and then to DVD. It's essentially unwatchable - all darkness and blur and artifacting.

the blob 7th October 2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 107026)
Actually watched three of these now and quality is variable to say the least!

Despite being from a VHS source The Bat looks pretty good and is perfectly watchable. Just a couple of tape wobbles. Great film too, I loved its live action Scooby Doo shenanigans!

The Brain That Wouldn't Die is 1) the cut version 2) has a mysterious black gap for what seems like ages about an hour in 3) switches from a decent source to a crappy blurry source at times.

The Giant Leeches is a mess. It's zoomed in to 16:9 cropping top and bottom and looks like it has been firstly optically transferred from 35mm to 16mm then to tape them to avi/DivX and then to DVD. It's essentially unwatchable - all darkness and blur and artifacting.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting much more from them but for a quid each they were worth a shot.

Gojirosan 7th October 2010 01:35 PM

Oh, I'm still going to buy the ones I haven't got yet!

:lol:

Mojo 7th October 2010 08:15 PM

Watched their Fiend Without A Face disc and although we're not talking top notch the pq wasn't too bad considering it was only a quid! This is actually the first time I've seen this flick - those 'fiends' are cool! :)

The Screaming Skull next.

Mansonsblood 7th October 2010 09:03 PM

Ahh was wondering how the Giant Leeches would be. The old release was the same. Worthless.

the blob 8th October 2010 04:13 PM

Today's haul was just Plan 9. Apparently they had Horrors of Spider Island but wouldn't sell it to.

Mire Mare 11th October 2010 11:14 AM

The official word!

Hi guys long time horror / cult movie fan but new to the site (so go easy) like everybody else on this post I was interested in Poundland's "Cayman Classic Horror Collection" and like most I wanted to know just how many movies there was going to be. So I emailed Archive Media Publishing (see back of box) and this was there response:

Dear Mire Mare

Please note we do not sell these titles direct to customers and they are only available for a limited time via Poundland stores as part of a Halloween promotion. All 20 titles should be displayed in an FSDU but this subject to compliance by each store and stock availability.
The list of 20 titles includes; The Bat, Creature From The Haunted Sea, House On Haunted Hill, Attack Of The Crab Monsters, Giant Leeches, The Thing, Little Shop Of Horrors, King Of The Zombies, The Brain That Wouldn't Die, Fiend Without A Face, Doomed To Die, The Terror, White Zombie, Screaming Skull, The Fatal Hour, Invisible Ghost, Indestructable Man, Wasp Woman, Killer Shrews, Plan 9 From Outer Space.
Sorry I can't assist further, happy shopping.

Regards

Alex Carruthers
For Archive Media Publishing Ltd

So I have refrained from buying these individually myself and have opted for the 50 Monster / Sci Fi movie collections which are readily available on Amazon for about £11.00 each :) as these seem to contain the aforementioned movies plus a lot more so overall seem better value for money.

MM

thundercrack 12th October 2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 105945)
As some of you may already be aware Poundland are currently releasing the Cayman Classic Horror Collection as part of their Halloween stock of DVDs. I've managed to pick up 18 :dance: of them so far and was hoping to grab some more of the collection. Here is the list of titles and catalogue numbers for your reference and if you can help me fill in the blanks I'd really appreciate it :)

AMB3989 - The Bat
AMB3990 -
AMB3996 -
AMB3997 -
AMB3998 -
AMB3999 -
AMB4000 -
AMB4001 -
AMB4002 -
AMB4003 -
AMB4004 -
AMB4005 -
AMB4006 -
AMB4011 -
AMB4012 - The Terror
AMB4013 - White Zombie
AMB4014 -
AMB4015 -
AMB4016 -
AMB4018 - The Wasp Woman
AMB4020 -
AMB4021 -
AMB4022 -
AMB4023 -
AMB4024 -
AMB4025 - Doomed To Die
AMB4026 - The Fatal Hour

All of the DVDs have the original artwork on the covers. Have a look at the pictures Inspector Tanzi took and posted here. Please check your local Poundland to see for yourselves, if you find any others please let me know :pop2:

Cheers guys!

Can someone please put the full list in spine order.

Thanks

antmumford 13th October 2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thundercrack (Post 107699)
Can someone please put the full list in spine order.

Thanks

What you see is the full list but just with the following 2 titles needing to be added to the end:

AMB4028 - Creature From The Haunted Sea
AMB4029 - Screaming Skull

pedromonkey 13th October 2010 06:42 PM

they seem to be the exact same versions that Ellstree hill have been releasing for years. Fiend without a face is the only one i wanted from that collection because the original R2 version is OOP and i refuse to pay the prices for the Criterion edition.

The Universal 2 disc edition of The Thing from another world is the one to go for
for that film and it's quite cheap these days.

grumpyoldgit 18th October 2010 07:59 PM

I went to Poundland in Trowbridge, Wiltshire today. The shelves were full again, mainly with ones that had not been there the previous week. Included are a number of titles not on the list. I was able to buy all of them, even though some seem to be on a withdrawn list.

AMB3990 Atom Age Vampire
AMB4011 Horrors of Spider Island
AMB4014 The Monster Maker
AMB4015 The monster Walks
AMB4016 The Phantom from 10,000 Leagues

The till lady did have difficulties as the till kept bleeping at her. she had to scan some of them several times before it would take the sale. I realised afterwards that she had only wanted £7 for 12 DVDs. Clearly some problem with the DVDs or the tills but I wasn't going to argue.
These DVDs are just jumping off the shelves and being replaced with new titles so I intend to go back every few days to see if further stock is being released.
Well worth the money.

antmumford 19th October 2010 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpyoldgit (Post 108857)
I went to Poundland in Trowbridge, Wiltshire today. The shelves were full again, mainly with ones that had not been there the previous week. Included are a number of titles not on the list. I was able to buy all of them, even though some seem to be on a withdrawn list.

AMB3990 Atom Age Vampire

The till lady did have difficulties as the till kept bleeping at her. she had to scan some of them several times before it would take the sale. I realised afterwards that she had only wanted £7 for 12 DVDs. Clearly some problem with the DVDs or the tills but I wasn't going to argue.
These DVDs are just jumping off the shelves and being replaced with new titles so I intend to go back every few days to see if further stock is being released.
Well worth the money.

Damn why did you have to tell me that? There was me, happy in the knowledge that I had the complete set other than the recall ones. Now I need to trawl and hope to get these too :( :o

masdawg 20th October 2010 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 108919)
Damn why did you have to tell me that? There was me, happy in the knowledge that I had the complete set other than the recall ones. Now I need to trawl and hope to get these too :( :o

By the looks of it, these 5 are recall ones. If you check Tanzi's post here (last picture), 4 of those titles are the one's Tanzi picked up, without a BBFC certificate on them (ie, recalled titles). Also, hence why grumpyoldgit was charged £5 less - these 5 are the recalled titles and did not scan at the till.

grumpyoldgit, is it possible you could check the covers of these 5 titles and let us know if they contain a BBFC certificate or not?

masdawg 20th October 2010 11:07 AM

So, from the way I see it so far, the complete, saleable list is of 20 titles (confirmed by Mire Mare's email to AMP).
The full list of the 20 saleable titles is as follows:

AMB3989 - The Bat
AMB4012 - The Terror
AMB4013 - White Zombie
AMB4018 - The Wasp Woman
AMB4025 - Doomed To Die
AMB4026 - The Fatal Hour
AMB4028 - Creature From The Haunted Sea

And so far, we have photo evidence (thanks to Tanzi) of 4 DVDs which were recalled due to missing BBFC certs, with a 5th recalled title to be confirmed by grumpyoldgit:

AMB3990 Atom Age Vampire (recalled - to be confirmed)
AMB4011 Horrors of Spider Island (recalled - no cert)
AMB4014 The Monster Maker (recalled - no cert)
AMB4015 The monster Walks (recalled - no cert)
AMB4016 The Phantom from 10,000 Leagues (recalled - no cert)

masdawg 20th October 2010 07:22 PM

After reading through this thread again today, I thought "hey, what the hell? I might try and collect these myself". So I decided to go into Wrexham today and get a hold of what I could find. I picked up 12 of the 20 titles:

The Bat, House on Haunted Hill, Attack of the Crab Monsters, The Giant Leeches, The Little Shop of Horrors, King of the Zombies, Fiend Without A Face, The Terror, White Zombie, Indestructible Man, The Wasp Woman, The Killer Shrews.

I looked at pretty much every DVD in the Halloween section and in the normal DVD section, hoping that at the back of a shelf I may just be lucky to stumble across one or two recalled ones still on the shelf :lol:, but no luck there :(

...Now to try and find the other 8...may have to end up getting someone on here to help me out ;)

grumpyoldgit 24th October 2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masdawg (Post 109058)

grumpyoldgit, is it possible you could check the covers of these 5 titles and let us know if they contain a BBFC certificate or not?

Agreed. I have 22 of the DVDs and only the five recall ones do not have a BBFC certificate on the spine and the back. I was back at my Poundland on Friday but there were no new titles. With Halloween only a few days away I will revisit on the off chance.

JunkMonkey 25th October 2010 08:01 PM

It must be said that the quality of the two Cayman Classics I have watched is far from brilliant. On the back of the case there is a caveat which reads: 'This DVD may highlight the limitations of the original film recording or the source material ' (my italics).

For instance The Brain That Wouldn't Die goes blank for about a minute at about the 50+ minute mark. Exactly like the copy freely and legally available on Archive.org

Poking about (and not too deeply) on Archive.org it's easy to find the longer, 83 minute version too.

(I did have URLs for both versions but as I have not yet reached the required number of posts to allow me to insert URLs here, you'll just have to track them down yourselves. )

grumpyoldgit 25th October 2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JunkMonkey (Post 109826)
It must be said that the quality of the two Cayman Classics I have watched is far from brilliant. On the back of the case there is a caveat which reads: 'This DVD may highlight the limitations of the original film recording or the source material ' (my italics).

For instance The Brain That Wouldn't Die goes blank for about a minute at about the 50+ minute mark. Exactly like the copy freely and legally available on Archive.org

Poking about (and not too deeply) on Archive.org it's easy to find the longer, 83 minute version too.

(I did have URLs for both versions but as I have not yet reached the required number of posts to allow me to insert URLs here, you'll just have to track them down yourselves. )

I think I read somewhere that most, if not all, are public domain. There are a couple of collections on Amazon for 50 or 100 horror films, where many of the same films are included, which you can pick up for not much more than £10. With Z films, I think we have to accept that no-one will be going to the effort of cleaning them up or searching for better prints. To my mind, part of the attraction is that the film is on really crap stock. I have been watching similar films on the Showcase channel recently and again, the quality of the print is really dire. It's all part of the fun.

JunkMonkey 25th October 2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpyoldgit (Post 109842)
I think we have to accept that no-one will be going to the effort of cleaning them up or searching for better prints.

Take your point but I least expect someone to have watched it to make sure it was all there.

I have a couple of the Mill Creek box sets you refer to and on the whole they are pretty terrible too.

Inspector Tanzi 25th October 2010 11:01 PM

I still need to get my hands on an Atom Age Vampire.

masdawg 4th November 2010 03:50 PM

I'm trying to collect the whole 20 and still need to get my hands on the following 5:
AMB4026 - The Fatal Hour

Anybody able to help me out, before this collection dissapears from Poundland?

Also, if anyone can get a hold of any of the recalled ones for me, that would be great :thumb::
(so far the list is):
(all recalled - no certs)
AMB3990 Atom Age Vampire

Any help is much appreciated!! :thumb: