Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The BFI Blu-ray and DVD Release Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/9116-bfi-blu-ray-dvd-release-thread.html)

Susan Foreman 4th May 2018 07:17 PM

Not an upcoming release, but this is on the BFI Player, so I thought this was as good a place as any to put this!

The Ghost Train: Surviving footage of the first sound version of Arnold Ridley's famous railway station comedy thriller

"One of the most eagerly sought after lost British films, the first sound version of Arnold Ridley's successful railway station comedy thriller teams husband and wife comedians Jack Hulbert and Cicely Courtneidge. This footage is the only version known to survive and is, unfortunately, largely mute. Still, scenes of the passengers being stranded and enough of the exciting climax (complete with ten minutes of sound) remain to make you all the more eager for the complete film to be discovered."

Rob4 24th May 2018 01:34 PM

5 Attachment(s)
BFI Jul/Aug 2018 releases

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th May 2018 03:01 PM

I'll certainly get The Comfort of Strangers and Eye of the Needle at some point and will probably have a look at It Happened Here when it hits a Fopp sale.

Demoncrat 24th May 2018 06:15 PM

Oooh It Happened Here. Fricking SOLD :hail::dance::loveeyes:

Rob4 25th May 2018 10:50 AM

Excellent interview with Ben Stoddart, Business and Operations Manager at the BFI - more folk horror on the way by the sounds of it :nod:

Blu-ray secrets with the BFI - Software

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th May 2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 576433)
Excellent interview with Ben Stoddart, Business and Operations Manager at the BFI - more folk horror on the way by the sounds of it :nod:

Blu-ray secrets with the BFI - Software

A good read, thanks for posting, Rob.

The BFI do seem keen on folk horror and ghost stories which is a good thing as so am i. From what Ben Stoddart was saying they are also their biggest sellers.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 26th May 2018 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
About time we saw this on BD or a Dual release please BFI-And uncut pleasseee!

Can't believe it's six years since this cracking package was released.

In this day and age,a bit of blasphemous,crazy film footage can't be deemed offensive....not when you see some of the attrocities that's readily available to view on the www

Michael Brooke 26th May 2018 10:21 PM

No point lobbying the BFI: this particular ball is (and has always been) firmly in Warner Bros’ court. The BFI did an amazing job of prising what they did out of them, but anything else isn’t within their gift.

Two further complications: the 2004 semi-restoration has only ever existed on standard-definition Digibeta, so a Blu-ray edition would require those sections of the film to be rescanned and reconstructed - and of course we can’t ever restore what was initially shown to the BBFC’s John Trevelyan in early 1971, because although the footage that Trevelyan privately recommended cutting still survives (the “rape of Christ” scene being the highlight), all the footage that was subsequently excised by the BBFC and Warner Bros during its official submission is believed to have been destroyed.

It may well be that the only person alive who’s seen the full version is editor Michael Bradsell, who’s in his mid-eighties.

Rob4 27th May 2018 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Brooke (Post 576607)
No point lobbying the BFI: this particular ball is (and has always been) firmly in Warner Bros’ court. The BFI did an amazing job of prising what they did out of them, but anything else isn’t within their gift.

Two further complications: the 2004 semi-restoration has only ever existed on standard-definition Digibeta, so a Blu-ray edition would require those sections of the film to be rescanned and reconstructed - and of course we can’t ever restore what was initially shown to the BBFC’s John Trevelyan in early 1971, because although the footage that Trevelyan privately recommended cutting still survives (the “rape of Christ” scene being the highlight), all the footage that was subsequently excised by the BBFC and Warner Bros during its official submission is believed to have been destroyed.

It may well be that the only person alive who’s seen the full version is editor Michael Bradsell, who’s in his mid-eighties.

i can't press the 'like' button for this comment because its so depressing, but thanks for the clarification.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 30th May 2018 05:15 PM

There's always a point in lobbying......if you don't ask....you don't get!

FFS WARNER'S!

Demoncrat 30th May 2018 05:38 PM

In a sane world, we would have had it long before this ... sadly with the current climate 'over there' ;);) .... common sense is at an all time low. You can but hope though ... stranger things have happened .....

Michael Brooke 31st May 2018 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 577004)
There's always a point in lobbying......if you don't ask....you don't get!

Yes, but there’s no point lobbying the wrong people. It’s Warner US that’s the sticking point - even Warner UK was prepping a 2005 DVD release, which was when the commentary was recorded. And I’m sure Criterion has raised the issue with them.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 2nd June 2018 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Brooke (Post 577071)
Yes, but there’s no point lobbying the wrong people. It’s Warner US that’s the sticking point - even Warner UK was prepping a 2005 DVD release, which was when the commentary was recorded. And I’m sure Criterion has raised the issue with them.

Well now we know who to lobby eh?

Not all of us work inside the industry.;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th June 2018 07:12 PM

God it'd be great if Criterion got their hands on it!

Michael Brooke 4th June 2018 07:13 PM

There’s nothing to stop you petitioning either the BFI or Warner Bros, and many have done over the last fifteen years or so.

But my point is that targeting the BFI is a complete waste of time and effort: you won’t be telling them anything they don’t already know or suggesting anything that they wouldn’t gladly have done back in 2012.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th June 2018 07:21 PM

Point taken Mike.
As I said,not everyone is privvy to 'industry insider' info like yourself,and as the BFI did such a sterling job on the dvd package,well for any of us 'mere mortals',that would be the sensible place to start imo.:)

John Matrix 28th July 2018 07:21 PM

Anyone picked up The Touch yet?

One of the 2 Bergman films, I've never seen. It's meant to be rubbish and he hated it but feel I need to watch it.

Susan Foreman 27th September 2018 05:42 AM

Distant Voices, Still Lives is being released on Blu-Ray on October 22nd, 2018

It's available on Amazon UK pre-order for £15.99

"Distant Voices, Still Lives (Blu-ray)
Directed by Terence Davies

Terence Davies film, depicting life in working-class Liverpool from the 1940s into the 50s, is 30 years old this year, and already a modern classic.

Now that Eileen, Maisie, and Tony are adults, their childhood memories and in particular those associated with their father are inconsistent. While Eileen clings to happier times, her siblings remember his brutal violent nature, which has been a major influence on their growth and development. This troubled family must deal with the day-to-day alongside their past. Terence Davies creates a loving portrait with this partly autobiographical tale (shot in two sections), and it was voted one of the greatest British films by Sight and Sound.

Distant Voices, Still Lives has been restored in 4K resolution by the BFI under the supervision and approval of director Terence Davies.

Special features
  • New 4K digital restoration from the original 35mm camera negative, approved by director Terence Davies
  • Q&A With Terence Davies (2018, 32 mins): recorded after the UK premiere of the new restoration at BFI Southbank
  • Audio commentary by Terence Davies: the director scrutinises his film in this commentary from 2007
  • Interview With Terence Davies (2007, 20 mins): director Terence Davies discusses his work with film critic Geoff Andrew
  • Interview With Miki van Zwanenberg (2007, 7 mins): the film's art director looks back on its making
  • Introduction by Mark Kermode (2016,2 mins)
  • Images of Liverpool in Archive Film (1939-42, 62 mins): three archive shorts depicting the city of Liverpool and its community
  • Original and 2018 trailers
  • Image gallery
  • Fully illustrated booklet with new writing on the film by critic Derek Malcolm and art director Miki van Zwanenberg, essays by Geoff Andrew and Adrian Danks, and full film credits

UK | 1988 | colour | 83 minutes | English language, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles| original aspect ratio 1.78:1 | 1 x BD50: 1080p, 24fps, PCM stereo audio (48kHz/24-bit), Region B | Cert 15 (contains violence, infrequent strong language)"

Demoncrat 28th September 2018 07:41 PM

Likes all round ... especially for DV, SL :nod:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th November 2018 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
February.:cool:

Susan Foreman 19th March 2019 07:35 PM

April 15th

Special features

❉ Newly restored from the original camera negative by the BFI, and presented here in High Definition and Standard Definition
❉ Audio commentary by actor Alan Bates, director Clive Donner and producer Michael Birkett (2002)
❉ Introduction by critic and author Michael Billington (2002, 6 mins)
❉ On Location with The Caretaker (1962, 4 mins): an extract from the TV series This Week in Britain
❉ The Caretaker: From Play Into Film (2002, 17 mins): a video essay by Michael Billington, using materials donated by Clive Donner to the BFI National Archive
❉ US opening titles (1963, 2 mins): the opening title sequence from the US where the film was released as The Guest
❉ Last To Go (1969, 6 mins): the last of five animated shorts directed by Gerald Potterton for Pinter People, voiced by Harold Pinter and Donald Pleasence
❉ Harold Pinter’s Play Discussed by Clive Donner (1973, 47 mins): the BAFTA-winning director discusses his adaptation of The Caretaker
❉ Stills Gallery
❉ Fully illustrated booklet with new essay by critic and author Amy Simmons, writing by Michael Billington and Clive Donner and full film credits (FIRST PRESSING ONLY)

Susan Foreman 20th March 2019 05:00 PM

April 15

Special Features

❉ Let’s Go Crazy (1951, 33 mins): a nightclub-set madcap variety show featuring Peter Sellers and Spike Milligan
❉ The Running Jumping & Standing Still Film (1960, 11 mins): Richard Lester and Peter Sellers’ Goonish comic short, featuring Sellers, Spike Milligan and Leo McKern
❉ Film Star: Peter Sellers (1967, 37 mins): a profile of the actor and comedian
❉ Maurice Woodruff Interview (1967, 19 mins): Peter Sellers’ favourite clairvoyant interviewed by Bernard Braden for a TV series, Now and Then, that was never made
❉ John Boulting Interview (1967, 21 mins): the director discusses his relationship with Sellers in an unbroadcast Now and Then interview with Bernard Braden
❉ Peter Sellers at the NFT (1960, 92 mins, audio only): the actor addresses an enthusiastic throng of fans
❉ Abigail McKern Interview (2019, 20 mins): the daughter of Leo McKern discusses the great actor’s life and career
❉ The Poetry of Realism (2019, 13 mins): journalist Kat Ellinger’s video essay on Marcel Pagnol, the writer of the film’s theatrical source, Topaze
❉ Fully illustrated booklet with a new essay by the BFI’s Vic Pratt, biographies of Herbert Lom and Nadia Gray by John Oliver and full film credits (FIRST PRESSING ONLY)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd April 2019 07:26 PM

Some nice bargains on BFI titles over at Base.com at the moment.

Susan Foreman 10th May 2019 02:35 PM

Ooooh! Part 1

September 16 - 'Do Not Adjust Your Set'. Pre-order at Amazon UK - £23.47

"Do Not Adjust Your Set (3-disc DVD set)
Directed by Daphne Shadwell

Innovative and influential, and originally envisaged as a children's show Do Not Adjust Your Set was a madcap early-evening comedy sketch show that quickly acquired a cult following with Swinging Sixties adults, who rushed home from work to see it. Written by and starring Michael Palin, Terry Jones, Eric Idle, with great performances and additional material from David Jason and Denise Coffey, it also provided an early showcase for the hilarious animations of Terry Gilliam, and the brilliantly bizarre musical antics of the legendary Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band. For the first time anywhere all the fully existing episodes from the Rediffusion and Thames series of the show are brought together at last in one place for a deluxe package that includes five episodes new to DVD, at least two of which were previously thought lost, alongside new interviews with series director creator and producer Humphrey Barclay, writer and performer Michael Palin, uninvited guest star Tim Brooke-Taylor, animations from Terry Gilliam's personal collection, and a new documentary about the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, featuring new interviews with 1960s originators and key personnel Neil Innes, Rodney Slater, Roger Ruskin-Spear and 'Legs' Larry Smith"

Special features
  • Includes all 14 fully surviving episodes, from both the Rediffusion and Thames series, five of which have never been previously released on DVD
  • New digital transfers of rare animations by Terry Gilliam (Brazil, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas) from his own film elements
  • Newly recorded interview with Michael Palin
  • Newly recorded interview with uninvited guest star Tim Brooke-Taylor (2019)
  • Newly recorded interview with series creator and producer Humphrey Barclay (2019)
  • Bonzo's on the Box: : Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band members reflect upon the history of the group and their appearances on television, in a special documentary made up of new interviews with key 1960s originators and personal Neil Innes, Rodney Slater, Roger Ruskin-Spear and 'Legs' Larry Smith (2019)
  • ***FIRST PRESSING ONLY*** fully illustrated booklet with new writing on the series by the BFI's Vic Pratt and full series credits
  • Other extras TBC

Susan Foreman 10th May 2019 02:38 PM

Ooooh! Part 2

September 16 - 'At Last The 1948 Show'. Pre-order at Amazon UK - £23.47

"At Last the 1948 Show (3-disc DVD set)
Directed by Ian Fordyce

This ground-breaking, splendidly silly and surreal comedy sketch series, written and performed by John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Tim Brooke-Taylor and Marty Feldman, also starring the lovely Aimi MacDonald, was a major milestone on the road to Monty Python's Flying Circus, The Goodies and everything that came after. This lovingly curated new deluxe three-disc set restores all the existing episodes from both series of the programme in the correct order, and is as complete as is currently possible. It includes all ten surviving episodes, two almost completely reconstructed episodes, and the complete audio of a further episode with fragments of film restored; all drawn from the vaults of the BFI National Archive, and proudly presented alongside an array of newly-filmed and archive extras"

Special features
  • Includes all the complete surviving episodes from series one and two, plus two reconstructed episodes, for the very first time
  • Newly recorded interviews with Humphrey Barclay and Tim Brooke-Taylor (2019)
  • Archive interviews with John Cleese, Marty Feldman, Tim Brooke-Taylor and Aimi MacDonald
  • ***FIRST PRESSING ONLY*** fully illustrated booklet with new writing on the show by series expert Steve Bryant, not quite 400 words by Tim Brooke-Taylor and full credits
  • Other extras TBC

Demoncrat 11th May 2019 09:54 PM

Oooooh part 3 then ;)

Sold

ahem

:lol:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd July 2019 07:14 AM

Vic Pratt interviewed by DVD Compare reveals forthcoming Flipside titles:

Quote:

We have a Flipside Halloween special out later this year! A mondo-esque double-bill of "Secret Rites" and "Legend of the Witches"; two special, sensational feature-length early 70s witchcraft documentaries made with Alex ‘King of the Witches’ Sanders. "Legend..." is newly remastered from a preservation element and "Secret Rites" has never before been released on VHS or DVD – or so we think. Expect a load of extras too, of course.
:pop2:

Justin101 23rd July 2019 07:53 AM

I also read that BFI is releasing Verhoven’s Spetters on blu but I can’t find any official word on that one. It came out on Kino a couple of years back though.

Rob4 23rd July 2019 09:41 AM

great releases from Flipside :clap:

my holy grail of a Flipside release would be all those horror shorts released theatrically in the 70s and early 80s. they would make a great BR compilation. you could probably make up several volumes. i bet the rights are nightmare though...

Mojo 12th August 2019 08:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
New BFI Flipside release in October :

Attachment 217681

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th August 2019 10:01 AM

Has anyone seen Sacred Rites? Is it any good, i know nothing about it?

Whilst i like Legend of the Witches, i have it on dvd but it's not something i'd look to upgrade purely because it is only a documentary and doesn't merit a lot of viewings in my opinion.

Medical Kestrel 12th August 2019 05:59 PM

Yeah, saw it some years ago at a screening as part of a Fantastic Films Weekend at the Media Museum in Bradford. It's an exploitation 'documentary'- i.e the whole thing looks laughably staged and there's a lot of nudity. Funny and kitsch but it's not the kind of thing I'd race to buy on blu-ray. There's a good write up of it in a recent book- "The Bodies Beneath"- by the people behind the BFI Flipside.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th August 2019 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
November.:clap:

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th September 2019 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medical Kestrel (Post 609289)
Yeah, saw it some years ago at a screening as part of a Fantastic Films Weekend at the Media Museum in Bradford. It's an exploitation 'documentary'- i.e the whole thing looks laughably staged and there's a lot of nudity. Funny and kitsch but it's not the kind of thing I'd race to buy on blu-ray. There's a good write up of it in a recent book- "The Bodies Beneath"- by the people behind the BFI Flipside.

Thanks. I have The Bodies Beneath and have now read it. Together with the extras it sounds worth getting.

Here's the proper cover art. (To be honest i preferred the TBC version :makelikeatree:)

Presented in High Definition and Standard Definition
Worldwide Blu-ray debut including the longest cut of Legend of the Witches ever released
Newly recorded commentary on Secret Rites by Flipside founders Vic Pratt and William Fowler
Newly commissioned sleeve art by acclaimed illustrator Graham Humphreys
The Witch’s Fiddle (1924, 7 mins): possibly the first student film ever made, this tale of a magical instrument was shot by the newly formed Cambridge University Kinema Club
Out of Step: Witchcraft (1957, 14 mins): investigative journalist and charismatic Soho bon vivant Dan Farson presents this polite yet probing, nuanced TV documentary about witchcraft
The Judgement of Albion (1968, 26 mins): bold, poetic images populate this ode to resistance by the writer of Blood on Satan’s Claw, Robert Wynne Simmons
Getting it Straight in Notting Hill Gate (1970, 25 mins): short but spectacular time-capsule counter-culture documentary was designed to redress negative perceptions of Notting Hill in 1970
Image gallery
**FIRST PRESSING ONLY** fully illustrated booklet with essays by Christina Harrington, publisher and expert on the occult Mark Pilkington, and authors of The Bodies Beneath, Vic Pratt and William Fowler. Includes full film credits.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 12th September 2019 08:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
December!:cool:

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th November 2019 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice to see some Bogey coming to dual format in March.

MrBarlow 11th November 2019 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 615383)
Nice to see some Bogey coming to dual format in March.

One of his good films he made before passing away

Susan Foreman 25th November 2019 04:16 PM

Just released on DVD / Blu-Ray

"Yentl **LIMITED EDITION** 2-disc set (1 Blu-ray + 1 DVD for extras)
Directed by Barbra Streisand

Based on Leah Napolin and Isaac Bashevis Singer's play of the same name Yentl was directed, co-produced, co-written and stars the legendary Barbra Streisand as Yentl Mendal, a girl living in an Ashkenazi shtetl in Poland in 1904. Her father, Rebbe Mendel (Nehemiah Persoff), secretly instructs her in the Talmud despite the proscription of such study by women according to the customs of her community.

After the death of her father, Yentl decides to cut her hair short, dress like a man, take her late brother's name, Anshel, and enter a Jewish religious school where she befriends fellow student, Avigdor (Mandy Patinkin), and meets his fiancée, Hadass (Amy Irving). Romantic complications soon arise though. Features a score and songs composed by the late great Michel Legrand, who won an Oscar for his work on the film, whilst Barbra Streisand became the first female winner for Best Director at the Golden Globes"

DISC ONE (Blu-ray)
* The Film - Theatrical Version (133:20)
* The Film - Director's Extended Edition (136:41)
Audio commentary with Barbra Streisand and Rusty Lemorande (on both cuts)
Extras (with Play All) (28:47)
- Deleted Scenes (16:46)
- Theatrical Trailer (3:17)
- Gallery (8:44)

DISC TWO (DVD)
Special Features (with Play All) (65:33)
- Introduction (Part One) (1:50)
- Introduction (Part Two) (3:03)
- "The Director's Reel" featurette (6:53)
- "The Rehearsal Process" (with Play All) (28:52)
-- Introduction (1:39)
-- "Where Is It Written?"
--- Original Rehearsal Concept (5:36)
--- Rehearsal/Feature Compared (5:07)
-- "No Wonder" (Reprise)
--- Pre-rehearsal/Feature Compared (3:24)
-- "Tomorrow Night"
--- "Pre-rehearsal Concept (5:00)
--- "Pre-rehearsal/Feature Compared (5:33)
-- "Will Someone Ever Look at Me That Way?"
--- Rehearsal/Feature Compared (2:28)
- Deleted Songs - Storyboard Sequences (with Play All) (7:31)
-- "The Moon and I" Storyboard Montage (3:48)
-- "Several Sins a Day" Original VHS Storyboard Montage (3:42)
- "Barbra's 8mm Concept Film"
-- Play with Narration (8:35)
-- Play without Narration (8:35)
- Teaser Trailer (1:26)
- "My Wonderful Cast and Crew" featurette (7:19)

Demoncrat 25th November 2019 04:29 PM

:pound::laugh:

Apparently you can polish a turd after all it seems ....

:lol:

MrBarlow 26th November 2019 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 616033)
Just released on DVD / Blu-Ray

"Yentl **LIMITED EDITION** 2-disc set (1 Blu-ray + 1 DVD for extras)
Directed by Barbra Streisand

Based on Leah Napolin and Isaac Bashevis Singer's play of the same name Yentl was directed, co-produced, co-written and stars the legendary Barbra Streisand as Yentl Mendal, a girl living in an Ashkenazi shtetl in Poland in 1904. Her father, Rebbe Mendel (Nehemiah Persoff), secretly instructs her in the Talmud despite the proscription of such study by women according to the customs of her community.

After the death of her father, Yentl decides to cut her hair short, dress like a man, take her late brother's name, Anshel, and enter a Jewish religious school where she befriends fellow student, Avigdor (Mandy Patinkin), and meets his fiancée, Hadass (Amy Irving). Romantic complications soon arise though. Features a score and songs composed by the late great Michel Legrand, who won an Oscar for his work on the film, whilst Barbra Streisand became the first female winner for Best Director at the Golden Globes"

DISC ONE (Blu-ray)
* The Film - Theatrical Version (133:20)
* The Film - Director's Extended Edition (136:41)
Audio commentary with Barbra Streisand and Rusty Lemorande (on both cuts)
Extras (with Play All) (28:47)
- Deleted Scenes (16:46)
- Theatrical Trailer (3:17)
- Gallery (8:44)

DISC TWO (DVD)
Special Features (with Play All) (65:33)
- Introduction (Part One) (1:50)
- Introduction (Part Two) (3:03)
- "The Director's Reel" featurette (6:53)
- "The Rehearsal Process" (with Play All) (28:52)
-- Introduction (1:39)
-- "Where Is It Written?"
--- Original Rehearsal Concept (5:36)
--- Rehearsal/Feature Compared (5:07)
-- "No Wonder" (Reprise)
--- Pre-rehearsal/Feature Compared (3:24)
-- "Tomorrow Night"
--- "Pre-rehearsal Concept (5:00)
--- "Pre-rehearsal/Feature Compared (5:33)
-- "Will Someone Ever Look at Me That Way?"
--- Rehearsal/Feature Compared (2:28)
- Deleted Songs - Storyboard Sequences (with Play All) (7:31)
-- "The Moon and I" Storyboard Montage (3:48)
-- "Several Sins a Day" Original VHS Storyboard Montage (3:42)
- "Barbra's 8mm Concept Film"
-- Play with Narration (8:35)
-- Play without Narration (8:35)
- Teaser Trailer (1:26)
- "My Wonderful Cast and Crew" featurette (7:19)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sykrR9QQaDU