Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th November 2012, 05:43 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Hi! The latest interview, with Pre-cert enthusiast Martin, is now live on the site
bdc likes this.
Old 25th November 2012, 06:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The joys of pre cert collecting and having all those collected company spines lovingly sat together on the shelf.

Jealous of Martin still having his collection.

I suppose shiny discs are better though.
Paul@TheOverlook likes this.
Old 25th November 2012, 07:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Judging by that picture, collectors are looking younger these days........
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 25th November 2012, 08:49 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Martin's not one of those die-hard pre-certers who only collect tapes. There are still some fellas that will never succumb to buying discs and have actually demonised them! There are a few who post on the Pre-cert forum!

Rik, the little boy in the picture is Martin's son. Martin is camera shy.

That said I know that I certainly had my "feel" of some great pre-certs back in the day when I was of a similar age! We had a video van that used to come down our street once a week and I have vivid memories of catching my dad watching ZOMBIE CREEPING FLESH and being told to leave the room! Being alowed to see the wonderfully shocking climax of CARRIE, but not it's beginning because of the nudity! I also saw the beginnings of both THE FOG and DEAD AND BURIED, both of which I decided not to sit through because was frightened beyond belief!
Old 25th November 2012, 09:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

In the right circumstances The Fog is still a very eerie, haunting film.

If there was a tap on the window during some of its scenes and i would be a gibbering wreck.
Old 25th November 2012, 10:33 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
In the right circumstances The Fog is still a very eerie, haunting film.

If there was a tap on the window during some of its scenes and i would be a gibbering wreck.
I must say, although I love Carpenter and do think its quite atmospheric, I'm not a huge fan of it to be honest.
Old 25th November 2012, 10:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
I must say, although I love Carpenter and do think its quite atmospheric, I'm not a huge fan of it to be honest.
Oh well, that wrecked my post. Any sympathy for a junior Paul has quickly dissipated
Old 26th November 2012, 08:48 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Oh well, that wrecked my post. Any sympathy for a junior Paul has quickly dissipated
Don't get me wrong, I like the film but it's not the classic many of its fans have hailed it, IMO.
Old 26th November 2012, 09:11 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
Martin's not one of those die-hard pre-certers who only collect tapes. There are still some fellas that will never succumb to buying discs and have actually demonised them! There are a few who post on the Pre-cert forum!
No disrespect to that forum but I've been on there a few times and it's an odd place. Why anyone wouldn't want to upgrade from VHS is beyond me.

Quote:
Rik, the little boy in the picture is Martin's son. Martin is camera shy.

That said I know that I certainly had my "feel" of some great pre-certs back in the day when I was of a similar age! We had a video van that used to come down our street once a week and I have vivid memories of catching my dad watching ZOMBIE CREEPING FLESH and being told to leave the room! Being alowed to see the wonderfully shocking climax of CARRIE, but not it's beginning because of the nudity! I also saw the beginnings of both THE FOG and DEAD AND BURIED, both of which I decided not to sit through because was frightened beyond belief!
Ha! That's exactly what used to happen to me! I've still never seen it from the start. That aside I was pretty much allowed to watch anything I wanted.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 26th November 2012, 09:32 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
No disrespect to that forum but I've been on there a few times and it's an odd place. Why anyone wouldn't want to upgrade from VHS is beyond me.

Ha! That's exactly what used to happen to me! I've still never seen it from the start. That aside I was pretty much allowed to watch anything I wanted.

RE: The Pre-Cert forum. Films and things people obsess over in general, seem to instil the most eccentric behaviour in some people. My guess is that they love everything that tape-based formats represent because it evokes the memory of a time that they have a lot of nostalgia for. It may also be the fact that they've invested a lot of time and money into building their collections and would rather shut themselves off from the option of dipping their toes into the "murky" waters of other formats. The other thing you have to remember is that there are people who have zero interest in watching films made after a certain point (uh, maybe the demise of VHS would be the cut-off?). Who knows but I must say, I do like the Pre-cert forum, there is always some great discussion going on and always a lot of talk that bring back memories of times of old. Some really nice people posting there but I can see that it would seem very cliquey to new members, or even very agressive and can be both at times.

RE: Carrie. Make sure you watch the whole thing soon! It's definitely one of the better King adaptations and is a brilliant film to boot.

Like this? Share it using the links below!