Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   1950's-1960s Sci-Fi (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2165-1950s-1960s-sci-fi.html)

pedromonkey 4th January 2010 10:02 PM

1950's-1960s Sci-Fi

what's your favourite golden age sci-fi movie?

vincenzo 4th January 2010 10:06 PM

2001: A Space Odyssey is my all time favourite sci-fi film. From the 50's I would probably go for the original War Of The Worlds. Still a classic today.

I also love Plan 9 From Outer Space but that's because I need therapy. :madgrin:

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th January 2010 10:10 PM

I'd say it's probably between Forbidden Plant and War Of The Worlds.Doesn't matter what I'm doing,If I switch on the tv and any one of those happen to be playing,I'll watch them,even if they've been on for a while.

pedromonkey 4th January 2010 10:13 PM

i love war of the worlds and forbidden planet is a marvel in cinematic production, but for me it has to be either Invaders from mars or Them!, with honorable mention to the day the earth stood still.

mark meakin 5th January 2010 10:24 AM

Very difficult to pick one great sci-fi film from the 50s as there were so many.
My favourites
The Incredible Shrinking Man
This Island Earth (Possibly my very favourite)
I Married A Monster From Outer Space
Forbidden Planet
Them !
Invaders From Mars
War Of The Worlds
It Came From Outer Space
Day The Earth Stood Still

Some British goodies
Fiend Without A Face
X-The Unknown
The Quatermass Experiment
Quatermass 2

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th January 2010 06:29 PM

2001: A Space Odyssey and The Day the Earth Stood Still for me. :nod:

Paul 5th January 2010 06:45 PM

Them!
The Monster that Challenged the World
IT! Terror from beyond Space
Planet of the Vampires
The Earth Dies Screaming
The Thing from another World

pedromonkey 5th January 2010 10:23 PM

oooo! planet of the vampires is good. still need to get hold of a copy though

mark meakin 6th January 2010 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 56444)
oooo! planet of the vampires is good. still need to get hold of a copy though

I have the Midnite movies release.Probably a bit pricey now.

Aurora75 23rd February 2010 07:45 PM

Probably '2001', but i have a real soft spot for Godards 'Alphaville' too. Super stylish and understated for a sci fi. Anna Karina too which is a bonus. ;)

Barbarella deserves a mention too, love all the sets in that film

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd February 2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurora75 (Post 64259)
Probably '2001', but i have a real soft spot for Godards 'Alphaville' too. Super stylish and understated for a sci fi. Anna Karina too which is a bonus. ;)

Love Alphaville. By far my favourite Godard film. :nod:

LineSix 23rd February 2010 08:13 PM

Anyone seen The Giant Claw?

Ridiculous but awesome. :lol:

pedromonkey 23rd February 2010 09:04 PM

hi, aurora75 welcome to the labs, just wanted to say that i recently watched 2001 for the first time in 15 years and thoroughly enjoyed it.

the opening with Jane Fonda in Barbarella, is one of the most erotic things i have ever seen, she was an absolutely georgeous woman in that film...

vincenzo 23rd February 2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 64262)
the opening with Jane Fonda in Barbarella, is one of the most erotic things i have ever seen, she was an absolutely georgeous woman in that film...

"Barbarella, psychedella. There's a kind of cockleshell about you"..... http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/love/love0010.gif

Aurora75 24th February 2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 64262)
hi, aurora75 welcome to the labs, just wanted to say that i recently watched 2001 for the first time in 15 years and thoroughly enjoyed it.

couldn't agree with you more ;)

vincenzo 24th February 2010 12:01 PM

I watched the excellent Barefoot In The Park last night and she was equally stunning in that too. http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/love/love0010.gif

Despite a rather infamous crying scene (fans of the film will know what I mean) Klute is probably Jane's best ever performance.

pedromonkey 19th August 2010 06:21 PM

for those of us who enjoy the b+w days of sci-fi and don't have a small fortune to be able to buy the dvds, this site has them for download. They are not illegal as they are public domain films. I have so far downloaded The Amazing Transparent Man and Five, they also have the full widescreen version of Kinji Fukusaku's Virus...the file is 2GB but the picture is worth it...

THE INTERNET ARCHIVES

JunkMonkey 18th October 2010 01:17 AM

I'll second pedromonkey on this, (us hominids must stick up for one another after all). The Internet Archive does have some interesting odds and sods on it and some in semi-decent quality too. I think the last thing I downloaded there was the dreadful Curse of the Swamp Creature. It's just so incredibly bad. The absolute lowest point of John Agar's career - and that's saying something.
Agar was probably on set for a maximum of two days on this one. Most of his scenes are silent, walking about shots with only a few moments where he gets to speak. At the 'climax' of the film, the mad doctor releases his Swamp Creature from his lab. "Kill them! Kill them!" he shrieks, pointing at the sullen mob of bemused off-screen extras. (They're supposed to be a vengeful mob whipped up into a fever pitch by a Voodoo priest but they just stand there in a row looking badly-dressed and bemused.) "Kill them!" shrieks the mad doc. The swamp creature ambles off in the opposite direction and into the outdoor covered swimming pool full of alligators the doc has been using to dispose of the bodies. Agar releases the doc's wife from her cell and the two of them also amble over to the pool where the wife pleads with the Monster. The Monster writhes with inner turmoil, the doc screams with maniacal fervour, and Agar, the star of the movie, just stands there. He doesn't even move his head. Just stands there waiting to go home. This must have been a real fun shoot*. Anyway, the Monster grabs the doc, throws him to the 'gators then jumps in as well. The end.

Grade A crap.

*On reflection I think his silence was more to do with the lack of on-location sound recording. Most of the outdoor stuff in this flick seems to have been shot MOS and Agar obviously wasn't available (or affordable) to do the ADR.

archive.org/details/Curse_of_the_Swamp_Creature

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 18th October 2010 09:38 PM

Some of mine...
THE TROLLENBERG TERROR
X THE UNKNOWN
THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
NIGHT OF THE BIG HEAT
CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED
VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED

bdc 19th October 2010 07:47 PM

Love 50's/early 60's sci-fi.
Invaders From Mars made an incredible impact on me when I was a child.

Also like the late 60's ones.
Barbarella and The Green Slime kept me glued to the tube when I was a teen.

pedromonkey 20th October 2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 108888)
Some of mine...
THE TROLLENBERG TERROR
X THE UNKNOWN
THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
NIGHT OF THE BIG HEAT
CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED
VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED

the british TV version or the one known as The Crawling Eye? Love The Crawling Eye.

Night of the Big Heat is awesome, great performances from Christopher Lee and Patrick Allan, but with a very under used Peter Cushing.

why were most Brit Sci-fi flicks from this era set in small villages?

GiveAgainGoldenStars 29th September 2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 109140)

ah small villages, the most terrifying places on earth. Aside from random farms in the middle of nowhere.

JunkMonkey 29th September 2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 109140)

Te same reason American SF films of the period were set in small towns in Arizona.

Slippery Jack 29th September 2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 56251)
Some British goodies
Fiend Without A Face

LOVE IT :cool: Those brain monsters are so cool. I once tried to sculpt one out of clay, but it looked rubbish :lol: Actually, I need that film in my collection . . .

JunkMonkey 30th September 2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GiveAgainGoldenStars (Post 185656)
ah small villages, the most terrifying places on earth. Aside from random farms in the middle of nowhere.

True. I live in a small village. Another thing that I have just thought of is that it is very easy and credible to have characters bump into or know each other in a small village. For instance right now downstairs in my kitchen the local policeman, the Presbyterian minister and several local mums and their kids are all happily having a cup of tea. The Doctor will be dropping by later. We all know each other. Very useful in story terms.

platostotal 30th September 2011 11:22 AM

The small village is the best place to buy cheese, or of course the deserts of southwest America, just love the monster/sci-fi films of the 50s, even the cheesiest ones are great fun, PLAN 9 right upto 2001, all are welcome in my dvd player. Faves are QUATERMASS 2, GODZILLA(Japanese version), EARTH VS FLYING SAUCERS.

James Morton 30th September 2011 03:07 PM

1950's-1960s Sci-Fi

among my faves are
THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL is an excellent 50's sci fi film
INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, the Americans take on Communism
THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT, QUATERMASS 2, THE DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE and VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED are all very good Brit sci fis

pedromonkey 30th September 2011 10:30 PM

i love THE EARTH DIES SCREAMING, VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED, THE DAMNED, DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE, WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE (which has a stunning final shot) and some lesser known films like FIVE, PANIC IN YEAR ZERO, DAY THE WORLD ENDED..

pestis 28th January 2012 05:50 PM

I love This Island Earth. I paid silly money for the DVD a few years ago, you can get it for £3.99 now. Still one of my favourite films.
The Day the Earth Caught Fire is a bit of a gem too.

pedromonkey 7th August 2012 08:12 PM

Re-watched George Pal's The Time Machine again the other night and that film is still a fantastic experience even in it's 50th watch. Found out that it was shot for $750,000 back in 1959 and it still looks spectactular even now and Russell Garcia's wonderful score makes it even better. Shame there's no blu-ray.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_W_w9hGEOR9...imeMachine.jpg

Demoncrat 8th August 2012 09:45 AM

Nae love for Invasion of the Saucermen?:rolleyes:

and of course....

THEM!
Quatermass II/...and the Pit
Planet of the Vampires
Zero Population Growth
The Night Caller
Devil Girl From Mars
NOTBH (natch)
Invasion (dour as hell, only from UK etc)
The Deadly Bees

Bringer Of Funerals 2nd September 2012 11:53 AM

I watched the original THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL on blu and it was brilliant - talking about the old sci fi films, ive bought the 100 SCI FI CLASSICS by Mill Creek that I havent watched yet, so im expecting cheesy goodness.

JunkMonkey 3rd September 2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 270341)
I watched the original THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL on blu and it was brilliant - talking about the old sci fi films, ive bought the 100 SCI FI CLASSICS by Mill Creek that I havent watched yet, so im expecting cheesy goodness.

Most of these films have been released by Mill Creek before in one or more 50 movie sets. I have a couple of those. You are indeed in for some seriously bad good nights in. I envy you the joy of discovering the depths to which SF film making can descend for the first time. I wonder if they sorted out the problem that they had with Cosmos: War of the Planets. In the copy I have, one of the reels is out of order which makes an awful film plain unintelligible. Actually I wonder even if they've ever noticed .

pedromonkey 3rd September 2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JunkMonkey (Post 270569)
Most of these films have been released by Mill Creek before in one or more 50 movie sets. I have a couple of those. You are indeed in for some seriously bad good nights in. I envy you the joy of discovering the depths to which SF film making can descend for the first time. I wonder if they sorted out the problem that they had with Cosmos: War of the Planets. In the copy I have, one of the reels is out of order which makes an awful film plain unintelligible. Actually I wonder even if they've ever noticed .

i have the 50 movie Invasion boxset, has some actually decent films on it but more atrocities than good films, but still 50 films for £11 aint bad and they're still quite fun.

Anyone know if Day The Earth Caught Fire has had a blu-ray release yet?

tele1962 5th January 2013 07:06 PM

The Day The Earth Stood Still.
When Worlds Colide.
The Time Machine.
War Of The Worlds.
This Island Earth.
Forbidden Planet.
Them.
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers.
Earth V's The Flying Saucers.
Village Of The Dammed.
Quatermass And The Pit.
Quatermass Experiment
20 Million Miles To Earth.
The Thing.
Robinson Crusoe On Mars.

I could go on and on....love them all but probably TDTESS the most.:)

wongfeihung62 5th January 2013 09:17 PM

My friend and I just love our bad movie nights. some of our favourites include

GIANT CLAW
CREEPING TERROR
FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE SPACE MONSTER
X FROM OUTER SPACE
PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE
TEENAGERS FROM OUTER SPACE

and many more........

Rondadoronron 3rd November 2013 11:57 AM

random SCi_Fi pic generator Round and round and round she goes

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-f...9_NRFPT_03.jpg