Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Star Wars Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/3428-star-wars-thread.html)

Aurora75 18th August 2010 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjarbar (Post 97556)
If you go to Google and do a serach for a fan film called troops it is worth the download. Basically a take on the programe COPS but with an Imperial twist, and well made to boot!

'Troops' is awesome, as you say very well made and very funny :)

wayfarer 19th August 2010 04:12 PM

Dumb-ass comment that someone made on anotger forum I frequent;

Old trilogy is a fun and classic coming-of-age tale, with a manichean background and cute characters. The new trilogy is a fascinating story about politics, treason, the frailty of democracy and republic, that resonated worringly with real life events.

You can't get that from the prequels, there's not that amount of depth.

Aurora75 19th August 2010 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 97731)
Dumb-ass comment that someone made on anotger forum I frequent;

Old trilogy is a fun and classic coming-of-age tale, with a manichean background and cute characters. The new trilogy is a fascinating story about politics, treason, the frailty of democracy and republic, that resonated worringly with real life events.

You can't get that from the prequels, there's not that amount of depth.

shocking... :doh: :lol:

mjarbar 19th August 2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 97731)

Me thinks someone is over analysing the films:loco:

Any chance they went on to say that it was in fact a classic father / son struggle for one to gain dominance over the oter and in doing so find their true identity!!!:lol:

wayfarer 20th August 2010 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjarbar (Post 97781)
Me thinks someone is over analysing the films:loco:

Any chance they went on to say that it was in fact a classic father / son struggle for one to gain dominance over the oter and in doing so find their true identity!!!:lol:

No, it's getting much worse. I've exited the debate because I can't intellectualise movies in quite the same way as some of these guys. Bearing in mind the quotes are from a music forum:shocked:

"...Are you implying that the weltanschauung in the "new trilogy" isn't manichean? Considering the fact that Vader isn't a manichean character I think it all depends on Palpatine's beginnings. Did he actually become a bad guy or was he born a bad guy? If I'm not mistaken he became a bad guy, he switched sides, didn't he? What was the reason for that switch? His own choice or the Force (i.e. pure evil as an outside force = manichean)? And do the movies offer hints of an answer? I'm afraid I can't remember the details"

Stephen@Cult Labs 20th August 2010 08:28 AM

:lol: I'm afraid I was lost at weltanschauung!

wayfarer 20th August 2010 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 97813)
:lol: I'm afraid I was lost at weltanschauung!

You and me both!:lol:

mjarbar 21st August 2010 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 97815)
You and me both!:lol:

Yep I'll triple that, can someone pass the popcorn:popcorn:

pedromonkey 21st August 2010 11:51 AM

i hate people who go into philosophical debate over a movie, if that's the case then Die Hard is about 1 man's struggle to find himself and come to the realization that he exists mearly as an enforcement agent and that the terrorists are a symbol of oppression, standing in his was preventing him from realizing his true potential.....

BOLLOCKS!!!

it's about a man who loses his shoes and kills a lot of people....

as for star wars, yeah there is a lot suedo-philosphical BS in it it, but they also have lightsabers and spaceships. the latter are enough for me...

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 24th August 2010 10:53 AM

I came across this today on the internet which you'll probably enjoy. Have you ever wondered what Star Wars would have been like if it was made in the 1920s? No? Well, now you can find out regardless!

YouTube - Silent Star Wars