Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   A Clockwork Orange Stanley Kubrick 1971 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/643-clockwork-orange-stanley-kubrick-1971-a.html)

dougal 5th August 2008 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halloween_22 (Post 11776)
the only other thing is a poster which is up in my film room.

You have a room for film?

Halloween_22 5th August 2008 10:15 PM

Yeah, me and my housemate live in a huge bloody five bedroom house and we only use two of them so I converted one of the spare rooms into my film room, basically I just stacked all my video's and dvd's around the edges so it's easy to choose one when I fancy it. Been meaning to put shelves up for ages but just haven't got round to it yet. :(

Halloween_22 5th August 2008 10:17 PM

Surprised to see so many negative posts about Clockwork. Though it'd be well loved round these parts.

spooks 5th August 2008 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halloween_22 (Post 11844)
Surprised to see so many negative posts about Clockwork. Though it'd be well loved round these parts.

likewise.

I'm a big fan of the film myself, one of my all time favourites, an incredible film, as is much of kubricks work.

Angel 6th August 2008 07:36 AM

The controversy over A Clockwork Orange back in the early 70's I think was quite predictable. Sadly not much has changed since then (remember last years furore over Eastern Promises). Certain films seem to be selected by the press for condemnation - and most don't deserve it.

Halloween_22 6th August 2008 10:15 AM

What happened with Eastern Promises Angel? I don't remember hearing anything at the time, was it anything to do with the fact it portrayed the Vory V Zakone that caused controversy? because it wasn't too extreme as far as violence goes. Personally I really liked Eastern Promises (Although the ending was a little rushed and unsatisfying IMO) Mortensen was brilliant in it.

Philleh 6th August 2008 10:20 AM

If I remember rightly, the drama was all about 'little' Vigo - not the violence per sa. I did think it was a brutal movie though! Brilliant also, but certainly brutal.

Halloween_22 6th August 2008 11:14 AM

Really? Is that what it was about, that's ridiculous. Yeah, it was kind of brutal in some parts. Fantastic film but I really wish the ending had been better, couldn't help but feel a bit cheated by it. Eastern Promises and History of Violence were both brilliant, really loving Cronenberg's new stuff.

Philleh 6th August 2008 12:14 PM

I know it caused a lot of concern in America - so it wouldn't surprise me if it's the cause here too!

I was left wanting more, which is rare from films today. When it ended I would have happily sat through another 90 minutes of it! Here's hoping for a sequel :)

Angel 6th August 2008 06:03 PM

The Mail were gunning for the BBFC after passing the film which of course contains scenes that were "likely" to pose a danger to society. Sure thing.
By the way I bought the DVD today but haven't got around to watching it yet.