Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/7789-lord-rings-trilogy.html)

Splatterdragon73 24th September 2012 05:55 AM

I have all three gift sets of the extended LOTR trilogy as well as the original double-disc editions both in Amaray case and steelbook forms. Yours truly also snapped up the subsequent ltd. ed. window slipcase releases and so far every one of these purchases are still sealed!:blush:

I eventually caught all three Frodo frolics via TV screenings years ago and i'm unsure if i saw the theatrical or expanded edits at the time. The LOTR saga is certainly entertaining but also overlong imo and i don't like the trilogy anywhere near enough to buy the films in HD.:)

James Morton 24th September 2012 08:37 AM

saw the theatrical dvd, forgot about the film afterwards
had no interest in the film really
seen bits and pieces of the other 2 films on tv

not my kind of films!

Susan Foreman 7th October 2012 06:57 AM

The Hobbit will get DVD extended editions | TotalFilm.com

sawyer6 7th October 2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 279664)

They'll release an extended dvd from an already extended movie.Peter Jackson is a :censored:

Wes 7th October 2012 07:46 PM

I wonder how John Boorman, who was trying to get an adaptation off the gound in the early 70's, would have handled LOTR ? I love Zardoz - not a perfect film by any means but it has some astonishing moments...

VicDakin 7th October 2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 279876)
I wonder how John Boorman, who was trying to get an adaptation off the gound in the early 70's, would have handled LOTR ? I love Zardoz - not a perfect film by any means but it has some astonishing moments...

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/atta...-zardoz-2-.jpg

Susan Foreman 12th November 2012 05:52 AM

BBC News - The Hobbit producers sue 'mockbuster' film company

Unrelated to 'The Hobbit', but more from The Asylum.

There is a great quote in this news story:

BBC News - Spoofing the big film blockbusters

""Likewise, we released a movie called Sherlock Holmes at the end of last year and Warner Brothers put theirs out too. A lot of people said ours was better. They certainly said that ours was closer to the ideas of the original, even though ours has dinosaurs and dragons and robots in it.""

Wes 12th November 2012 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 291716)

No matter how much free publicity Asylum sqeeze out of this action, nothing will change the fact that their films are beyond-awful...

...just like The Lord of the Rings films (I had to get that in there...)

Hawkmonger 12th November 2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 291720)
No matter how much free publicity Asylum sqeeze out of this action, nothing will change the fact that their films are beyond-awful...

...just like The Lord of the Rings films (I had to get that in there...)

I was with you. Until the second line. I'll be drinking tea with you in hell this time next year. :brick:

Wes 12th November 2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 291723)
I was with you. Until the second line. I'll be drinking tea with you in hell this time next year. :brick:

Sorry dude :( I'm gonna publicly retire my hatred for this damn trilogy from now on...

Susan Foreman 23rd December 2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 291716)
BBC News - The Hobbit producers sue 'mockbuster' film company

Unrelated to 'The Hobbit', but more from The Asylum.

There is a great quote in this news story:

BBC News - Spoofing the big film blockbusters

""Likewise, we released a movie called Sherlock Holmes at the end of last year and Warner Brothers put theirs out too. A lot of people said ours was better. They certainly said that ours was closer to the ideas of the original, even though ours has dinosaurs and dragons and robots in it.""

Is seems that the hacks at The Asylum have been forced to change the title of their film. It's no longer called 'Age of the Hobbits'. Instead, it's now Clash of the Empires'

That should stop all the confusion, shouldn't it!

Stephen@Cult Labs 23rd December 2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 305068)
Is seems that the hacks at The Asylum have been forced to change the title of their film. It's no longer called 'Age of the Hobbits'. Instead, it's now Clash of the Empires'

That should stop all the confusion, shouldn't it!

From what I hear about The Hobbit, I think I'd rather watch the Asylum film.

Hawkmonger 23rd December 2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 305074)
From what I hear about The Hobbit, I think I'd rather watch the Asylum film.

This is why I never read reviews until ive seen the film. The Hobbit is great Stephen, go see it.

Stephen@Cult Labs 23rd December 2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 305077)
This is why I never read reviews until ive seen the film. The Hobbit is great Stephen, go see it.

I'll catch it on tv. :lol:

Slippery Jack 23rd December 2012 06:24 PM

I've not managed to muster any interest in The Hobbit. Maybe I would if Guillermo Del Toro had stuck around and put his own stamp on the material, but now it just looks like more of the same . . .

klownz 16th May 2013 11:00 AM

I voted Return of the King despite the very end dragging a bit to much.

SCM 16th May 2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klownz (Post 341885)
I voted Return of the King despite the very end dragging a bit to much.

felt the exact same. The 2 Towers had that problem in a way to be honest

klownz 16th May 2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCM (Post 341888)
felt the exact same. The 2 Towers had that problem in a way to be honest

I love these films and watch them all the time but I have to confess I usually fast forward all the Frodo/Sam scenes since I find them very dull to say the least.

Binalo 20th July 2013 04:22 AM

I did not like this movie series at all, it is just a time wasting movie and its new series of hobbit is also the same kind of boring movie.

Susan Foreman 31st July 2013 10:33 AM

It seems that the extended version of 'The Hobbit' is due to be released on October 22nd, on DVD and Blu-Ray

Apparently it contains 13 minutes of new and extended scenes, and also a further nine hours (!) of bonus features, including commentary with Jackson, and “The Appendices” - a multi-part documentary focusing on various aspects of the film and the Trilogy.

Susan Foreman 29th April 2014 12:46 PM

The subtitle to the final part of 'The Hobbit' trilogy has been changed

Originally called 'There And Back Again', part 3 now goes by the title 'The Battle of The Five Armies'

antmumford 30th April 2014 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 401778)
The subtitle to the final part of 'The Hobbit' trilogy has been changed

Originally called 'There And Back Again', part 3 now goes by the title 'The Battle of The Five Armies'

And all the better for it to I say :)

Gothmogxx 30th April 2014 03:22 PM

Well... See I like all of the LOTR Trilogy equally. However The Desolation of Smaug trumps all of them :)

Susan Foreman 29th July 2014 11:30 AM

The first teaser trailer for 'The Battle Of The Five Armies':

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - Official Teaser Trailer [HD] - YouTube

Rik 30th July 2014 03:39 PM

Can't wait to go watch that in December :nod:

Nordicdusk 11th August 2014 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 412643)
Can't wait to go watch that in December :nod:

I saw the trailer at the cinema yesterday looks great i cant wait myself.

Susan Foreman 13th September 2014 07:32 AM

The extended version of 'The Desolation Of Smaug' is due to be released on DVD and Blu-Ray on November 3rd

Bringer Of Funerals 13th September 2014 12:47 PM

The Cinema edition has been released on Netflix

Susan Foreman 29th January 2015 12:51 PM

The Journey to Middle Earth is NOT Over! Could Peter Jackson ACTUALLY get the rights to The Silmarillion? | moviepilot.com

Bringer Of Funerals 29th January 2015 01:09 PM

How will that work?

Rik 29th January 2015 01:23 PM

Can't see that happening until Christopher Tolkien dies, he's been very vocal about his dislike of the way Peter Jackson handled his father's work, so I wouldn't expect it this decade anyway!

nosferatu42 30th January 2015 12:59 AM

OH **** me can't he just let it lie. sorry all you hobbit fanciers but personally i'd rather see PJ making Another gorefest or even Heavenly creatures type stuff, a great director that is being severely compromised.
Even a Dr who episode, just not more middle earth bollocks. I l;iked Lord of the Rings but after 15 years of the same shit for gods sake do something original, the hobbit has destroyed his creativity.:pop2:

Bringer Of Funerals 30th January 2015 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 433788)
OH **** me can't he just let it lie. sorry all you hobbit fanciers but personally i'd rather see PJ making Another gorefest or even Heavenly creatures type stuff, a great director that is being severely compromised.
Even a Dr who episode, just not more middle earth bollocks. I l;iked Lord of the Rings but after 15 years of the same shit for gods sake do something original, the hobbit has destroyed his creativity.:pop2:

Same as George Lucas - they both should make a 90 min small film rather then big epics all the time

Rik 30th January 2015 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 433886)
Same as George Lucas - they both should make a 90 min small film rather then big epics all the time

Difference is Peter Jackson can direct films, George Lucas can't :lol:

Susan Foreman 1st August 2016 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 433712)
How will that work?

Can't help thinking that this isn't genuine!

The Silmarillion: Warner Bros. Multi-Film & TV Deal for J.R.R. Tolkien's Classic! - MoviePilot.com

"New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures, MGM and Showtime have officially announced the completion of a deal with the Tolkien Estate to adapt J.R.R. Tolkien’s beloved novel, The Silmarillion, in a cross-platform deal that will include a multi-film franchise and premium cable television show to air on Showtime."

gag 11th April 2021 06:32 PM

Watch lord of the rings Soviet Union style .

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2021/4...J9ByrGzmSf-Qoo

First few pharagraphs

The long-lost Lord of the Rings adaptation from Soviet Russia is a glorious fever

Like found footage from a hobbit’s camcorder

The 1991 made-for-TV film features glorious low budget special effects and shonky costumes.
You may think you’re familiar with The Lord of the Rings, but nothing can quite prepare you for an adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s classic fantasy text made in the Soviet Union.

The made-for-TV film first aired on Leningrad Television in 1991 and was thought to be lost to time, as first reported by The Guardian. But the station’s successor, 5TV, recently unearthed a copy from its archives, and uploaded the entire work to YouTube in two parts.

LOW BUDGET SPECIAL EFFECTS AND SOVIET MOOD MUSIC
With a running time of around 1 hour and 50 minutes, this adaptation focuses only on the first book of Tolkein’s trilogy, The Fellowship of the Ring, and is a riot of low-budget special effects, bizarre camera work, and Soviet mood music.

Rather than the epic Hollywood fantasy captured so well by Peter Jackson, this adaptation feels like a weird fairy tale told by a pipe-smoking madman in the woods. In other words: it captures a completely legitimate aspect of The Lord of the Rings, just not one we’re necessarily used to.

gag 3rd March 2023 06:06 PM

Warner Bros. and New Line announced plans to make more The Lord of the Rings movies recently, leading many to wonder what the director and writers of the original trilogy have to say about that. Well, director Peter Jackson and writing partners Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens have weighed in.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/pe.../1100-6511800/