Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   Open All Hours returns with David Jason (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/11447-open-all-hours-returns-david-jason.html)

Susan Foreman 28th October 2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 374353)
It was funny because of Artwright's stutter, that's pretty much it, which is why no Ronnie Barker means it won't be as funny, I'm willing to give it a shot though

See people - it's fine to laugh at a person's disability!!!!

* Note - NOT a comment on Rik's post

Yes - I speak with a lisp, and I have trouble pronouncing the letter 'R'. I'm glad that people have picked up on it over my life. Especially when I was at school. How-I-laughed!!!!

Rik 28th October 2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 374354)
See people - it's fine to laugh at a person's disability!!!!

Hey, I only have one bollock as a result of having cancer, and I'm the first person to take the piss outta myself and have done since having it removed in 2005! I even named the remaining one The Pendulum :lol:

Hawkmonger 28th October 2013 05:54 PM

I'm a ginger-minger and have autism, and i'm always first in line to poke fun at myself. Comedy if the last true medium of free speech, and the truly open people will take light humour as it is.

I consider OAH to be the lesser of the two Barker legends, Porridge being undoubtably the greatest comedy of all time. But for me, OAH is hilarious in it's depiction of British life. In a way the shop stood for what Britain was like and still is. Dilapidated, old and stubborn, while the rest of the world (or the rest of the street) advance and change, both technically and morally.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th October 2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 374362)
But for me, OAH is hilarious in it's depiction of British life. In a way the shop stood for what Britain was like and still is. Dilapidated, old and stubborn, while the rest of the world (or the rest of the street) advance and change, both technically and morally.

What are you on about Hawk. You weren't even born when it aired. Life was actually like this in the late seventies / early eighties northern England. Perhaps not in the cities, but certainly in the towns and villages.

This may be a controversial viewpoint, but the north west, possibly the whole north of England was in a steep decline, a state of decay, until the Manchester bombings in 1996 meant the whole city centre had to be rebuilt and the rest of the north followed on.

Anyway, apologies, this has nothing to do with the rebirth of Open All Hours. :focus:

Rik 28th October 2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 374365)

This may be a controversial viewpoint, but the north west, possibly the whole north of England was in a steep decline, a state of decay, until the Manchester bombings in 1996 meant the whole city centre had to be rebuilt and the rest of the north followed on.

Completely agree with this point :nod:

SharonLynette 28th October 2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

What are you on about Hawk. You weren't even born when it aired. Life was actually like this in the late seventies / early eighties northern England. Perhaps not in the cities, but certainly in the towns and villages.

Anyway, apologies, this has nothing to do with the rebirth of Open All Hours. :focus:

Personally I preferred it before it was all modernised, I really find Manchester a bit empty now.

I think Open All Hours has aged fairly well, I liked it when I was little but right now, especially in the colder months I can't get enough of it.

Hawkmonger 28th October 2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Think about it. All the young, hip people in the street where mentioned (and occasionally seen) living more liberal lifestyles throughout the series. Buying goods from corporate organisations, practicing increasingly odd sexual acts (often considered the norm today) and generally showing typical early stage X-generations symptoms such as a more casual disregard for older generations and more rebellious attitudes. All the while this little shop keeper and his elderly customers are still stuck in the 50's, in a dinky little shop in a dinky little street. It kind of showed how Barker viewed the changing world around him and is often overlooked by people, but I think it's quite clever.

gag 23rd December 2013 09:18 PM

Anyone any idea when this is getting shown on tv ?

Make Them Die Slowly 23rd December 2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 374355)
Hey, I only have one bollock as a result of having cancer, and I'm the first person to take the piss outta myself and have done since having it removed in 2005! I even named the remaining one The Pendulum :lol:

Like the Poe story...The Dick and the Pendulum!

Hawkmonger 23rd December 2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 384328)
Like the Poe story...The Dick and the Pendulum!

Post of the ****ing year! :pound: