Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   Laurel And Hardy - Good, clean, classic comedy! (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/3521-laurel-hardy-good-clean-classic-comedy.html)

ramses 5th September 2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 99995)
...it's high time Stan and Ollie graced our terrestrial TV screens again. Just like they did back in the '80s and early '90s.

Well said SD73. It's a shame to think that there are young kids today who have never heard of Laurel & Hardy.

My two boys (aged 6 and 8) regularly request a bit of L&H -their faves are Laughing Gravy and the Music Box - and I'm sure most kids would still get a kick out of them (amazing when you think that most of their output is 80-90 years old!)

Honourable mentions also to Blotto and Tit For Tat, which I first saw on my dad's old Super 8 projector many moons ago.

Wilson Bros 6th September 2010 04:18 PM

Their comedy timing was absolutely impeccable and Hal Roach always surrounded Stan & Ollie with some of the best supporting comedy actors around, with James Finlayson probably being the best of the bunch - his double-takes are priceless, not to mentioning coming up with the word "D'oh" decades before The Simpsons or even Peter Glaze.

Kev W

Splatterdragon73 12th September 2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramses (Post 100338)
My two boys (aged 6 and 8) regularly request a bit of L&H -their faves are Laughing Gravy and the Music Box - and I'm sure most kids would still get a kick out of them.

Funnily enough, i've been thinking about introducing my two nephews (aged 3 and 6) to L & H output myself.
Maybe the brilliant Blockheads would be a good start as this comedy classic reignited my interest in Stan and Ollie when i first saw the film on BBC 2 back in the late '80s.

TMB is another of my L & H faves and i believe the duo won some sort of award for this side-splitting short and deservedly so.

I also recommend The Chimp if you or your sons haven't already seen it.:)

Splatterdragon73 12th September 2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson Bros (Post 100452)
with James Finlayson probably being the best of the bunch - his double-takes are priceless, not to mentioning coming up with the word "D'oh" decades before The Simpsons or even Peter Glaze.

Finlayson is hilarious as the doctor who has a door literally shut in his face (twice!) in Saps At Sea.
The actor was also memorable as a sneaky sailor in Our Relations and remember Finlayson's unforgettable head-first dive down a flight of stairs in Our Wife?;)

ramses 13th September 2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 101497)
I also recommend The Chimp if you or your sons haven't already seen it.:)

Is that the one where they're chimney sweeps at a mad professor's house? I seem to remember that one having a bizarre ending (?)

Another favourite of the kids' - and one that I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned yet - Brats!

Inspector Tanzi 14th September 2010 09:56 AM

A bit of trivia: Finlayson never had that tash in real life, it was always stuck on for the role!

DeadAlive 14th September 2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramses (Post 101716)
Is that the one where they're chimney sweeps at a mad professor's house? I seem to remember that one having a bizarre ending (?)

No. That one is called Dirty Work.

The Chimp is the one when they are working for a circus that goes bust and each gets to keep a part as payment. Stan gets the Flea Circus and Ollie gets a gorilla.

darthelvis 16th September 2010 07:20 PM

Love L&H, Bonnie Scotland is one of my fav's sadly missing from the box set but available from U.S. and Germany.

Sargento 17th September 2010 04:22 PM

I prefer Harold Lloyd to be honest but the L&H episode/film that stands out to me is the one where everyone is getting ready for a wedding and there is a jigsaw half finished on the table. Anyone who walks in the room cannot help but try to put a piece in ... anyway, I recall no one ever getting to the wedding but chaos ensues around said jigsaw.

:pound:

Splatterdragon73 18th September 2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 101859)
The Chimp is the one when they are working for a circus that goes bust and each gets to keep a part as payment. Stan gets the Flea Circus and Ollie gets a gorilla.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Stan's dialogue is priceless when he spots a Lion heading towards him, Ollie and Ethel the chimp:

"I just saw MGM!" :lol: