Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   Laurel And Hardy - Good, clean, classic comedy! (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/3521-laurel-hardy-good-clean-classic-comedy.html)

Splatterdragon73 3rd September 2010 12:49 PM

Laurel And Hardy - Good, clean, classic comedy!

Fellow forum member Gag recently mentioned in another thread a fondness for peerless comedy duo Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy.

I'd also like to add my appreciation and support for the innocent invaluable laughs provided over the years by the cracking comics in question and apart from Gag and myself, any other Laurel and Hardy fans here?

I know there's a great many of the rib-tickling twosome's crazy capers available on DVD but i also think it's high time Stan and Ollie graced our terrestrial TV screens again. Just like they did back in the '80s and early '90s.

Gone but never forgotten.:clap:

Pete 3rd September 2010 12:57 PM

Count me in as fan. Way Out West is one of the funniest films ever made.

Splatterdragon73 3rd September 2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 99997)
Way Out West is one of the funniest films ever made.

It certainly is, especially the scenes involving Stan and Ollie creeping around in bad guy James Finlayson's saloon at night.

There's never a dull moment in WOW but i must admit the film's second half supplies the funniest frolics imo.
Ollie's head through the floor and under the bucket, Stan and Ollie hiding in Finlayson's piano, our two leads and their horse tumbling down a flight of stairs and those side-splitting attempts to sneak into Finlayson's property. Absolute comedy gold there.;)

gag 3rd September 2010 02:30 PM

Laurel & Hardy - The Collection 21-disc Box Set DVD: Amazon.co.uk: Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy: DVD

You can buy the complete collection 21 disc for £37 thats a bargain average price is around £50

Ps nice to see you start a thread because of me mentioning them :woot:

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd September 2010 04:28 PM

Way Out West would have to be my favourite L&H film, closely followed by Sons Of the Desert.

VicDakin 3rd September 2010 04:46 PM

Way out west

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 99997)
Count me in as fan. Way Out West is one of the funniest films ever made.

brilliant film

Way Out West scene-

Lola Marcel (impersonating Mary Roberts): "Tell me, is it true? Is my dear, dear Daddy really dead?"

Stan: "Well, we hope he is- they buried him!"

Lola: "What did he die of?"

Stan: "I think he died of a Tuesday... or was it a Wednesday?"

Ollie: "Let me handle this delicate matter! Little lady, you've heard the worst. Now prepare yourself for the best...smile. Remember, every cloud has a silver lining."

Stan: "Sure, any bird can build a nest, but it isn't everyone that can lay an egg, is it?"

Finlayson: "That's right..." (then he realizes what nonsense that was, so he reacts)

DeadAlive 3rd September 2010 05:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I splashed out on that Laurel & Hardy DVD Collection last year. It really is money well spent. They are timeless. My parents introduced me to them when I was a child and now my 11 year old daughter is a fan. I even bought a pair of hand carved busts a few years ago that look great in front of the box.

Splatterdragon73 4th September 2010 01:42 PM

Nice busts there and i think the Hardy variant looks the most lifelike.

I also enjoy Pack Up Your Troubles, Saps At Sea and Blockheads.

Quite possibly my fave Stan and Ollie short is The Laurel And Hardy Murder Case set inside a typically creepy old dark house.
Highly recommended!;)

Inspector Tanzi 4th September 2010 02:53 PM

Definately my favourites of vintage comedy, my all time favouite one is BUSY BODIES, L & H at their very best.

Splatterdragon73 5th September 2010 09:56 AM

A Chump At Oxford is superbly side-splitting too. Especially the hedge maze scene.

Also, keep an eye out for a young Peter Cushing in this comedy classic.:)

ramses 5th September 2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 99995)
...it's high time Stan and Ollie graced our terrestrial TV screens again. Just like they did back in the '80s and early '90s.

Well said SD73. It's a shame to think that there are young kids today who have never heard of Laurel & Hardy.

My two boys (aged 6 and 8) regularly request a bit of L&H -their faves are Laughing Gravy and the Music Box - and I'm sure most kids would still get a kick out of them (amazing when you think that most of their output is 80-90 years old!)

Honourable mentions also to Blotto and Tit For Tat, which I first saw on my dad's old Super 8 projector many moons ago.

Wilson Bros 6th September 2010 04:18 PM

Their comedy timing was absolutely impeccable and Hal Roach always surrounded Stan & Ollie with some of the best supporting comedy actors around, with James Finlayson probably being the best of the bunch - his double-takes are priceless, not to mentioning coming up with the word "D'oh" decades before The Simpsons or even Peter Glaze.

Kev W

Splatterdragon73 12th September 2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramses (Post 100338)
My two boys (aged 6 and 8) regularly request a bit of L&H -their faves are Laughing Gravy and the Music Box - and I'm sure most kids would still get a kick out of them.

Funnily enough, i've been thinking about introducing my two nephews (aged 3 and 6) to L & H output myself.
Maybe the brilliant Blockheads would be a good start as this comedy classic reignited my interest in Stan and Ollie when i first saw the film on BBC 2 back in the late '80s.

TMB is another of my L & H faves and i believe the duo won some sort of award for this side-splitting short and deservedly so.

I also recommend The Chimp if you or your sons haven't already seen it.:)

Splatterdragon73 12th September 2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson Bros (Post 100452)
with James Finlayson probably being the best of the bunch - his double-takes are priceless, not to mentioning coming up with the word "D'oh" decades before The Simpsons or even Peter Glaze.

Finlayson is hilarious as the doctor who has a door literally shut in his face (twice!) in Saps At Sea.
The actor was also memorable as a sneaky sailor in Our Relations and remember Finlayson's unforgettable head-first dive down a flight of stairs in Our Wife?;)

ramses 13th September 2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 101497)
I also recommend The Chimp if you or your sons haven't already seen it.:)

Is that the one where they're chimney sweeps at a mad professor's house? I seem to remember that one having a bizarre ending (?)

Another favourite of the kids' - and one that I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned yet - Brats!

Inspector Tanzi 14th September 2010 09:56 AM

A bit of trivia: Finlayson never had that tash in real life, it was always stuck on for the role!

DeadAlive 14th September 2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramses (Post 101716)
Is that the one where they're chimney sweeps at a mad professor's house? I seem to remember that one having a bizarre ending (?)

No. That one is called Dirty Work.

The Chimp is the one when they are working for a circus that goes bust and each gets to keep a part as payment. Stan gets the Flea Circus and Ollie gets a gorilla.

darthelvis 16th September 2010 07:20 PM

Love L&H, Bonnie Scotland is one of my fav's sadly missing from the box set but available from U.S. and Germany.

Sargento 17th September 2010 04:22 PM

I prefer Harold Lloyd to be honest but the L&H episode/film that stands out to me is the one where everyone is getting ready for a wedding and there is a jigsaw half finished on the table. Anyone who walks in the room cannot help but try to put a piece in ... anyway, I recall no one ever getting to the wedding but chaos ensues around said jigsaw.

:pound:

Splatterdragon73 18th September 2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 101859)
The Chimp is the one when they are working for a circus that goes bust and each gets to keep a part as payment. Stan gets the Flea Circus and Ollie gets a gorilla.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Stan's dialogue is priceless when he spots a Lion heading towards him, Ollie and Ethel the chimp:

"I just saw MGM!" :lol:

Splatterdragon73 18th September 2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramses (Post 101716)
Another favourite of the kids' - and one that I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned yet - Brats!

Brats is brilliant too.;)

Especially when Ollie slides butt-first down the stairs!:lol:

killernun41 20th September 2010 03:38 PM

Achingly funny even today. 70 years (and more) later and their work never dates.

Sargento 20th September 2010 04:23 PM

If my memory serves me right there was an episode in a roller-rink. Well the roller-rink that the set was based on is real close to me. Of course it is no longer a roller rink but the building is still there. I can get pics if you would like to see the outside.

:nod:

killernun41 20th September 2010 04:27 PM

Busy Bodies is probably my favourite.

Andra Jai 26th September 2010 07:20 PM

Guys, I have just uploaded a collection of some very rare and absolutely stunning Laurel & Hardy posters from Germany and Spain etc.. on my movie poster art group here....

come and take a look

Movie poster art | Facebook

click on the photos tab and enjoy.

ramses 1st October 2010 03:40 PM

Many thanks for sharing Sam, there's some beauties there!

PS Dick und Dorf???

Wilson Bros 4th October 2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 103055)
Brats is brilliant too.;)

Especially when Ollie slides butt-first down the stairs!:lol:

"A little bit of kindess goes a looooong way..." :D

Kev W

GiveAgainGoldenStars 29th September 2011 10:20 AM

I really Ned to get more Laurel and Hardy into my diet, I love watching clips on YouTube but Ireally should get the DVDs

Demoncrat 9th October 2011 06:31 PM

great to see much love for the demented duo. just recently rewatched Busy Bodies, The Music Box and Laughing Gravy (the 2reeler). must get The Laurel & Hardy Murder Case (easily in my top 5 L&H'ers)

Susan Foreman 9th October 2011 07:46 PM

No comedians can touch Stan and Ollie.

The timing of the masters is superlative, and this was due to the fact they both of them had honed their skills on the stage before moving into movies - Ollie with the American Vaudeville theatre, and Stan in the Music Halls. [One of the other people that Stan appeared regualrly on stage with weas none other than Charlie Chaplin). But the main reason why I love them is...they are hilarious. Ollie constantly broke down the 'fourth wall', and his knowing glances to the audience are wonderul touches from a medium when the actors normally go out of thier way to stay distanced from the audience

As well as comedians, they were also acomplished dancers and singers - remember 'The Trail Of The Lonesome Pine' on Top Of The Pops??

DeadAlive 9th October 2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 188649)
great to see much love for the demented duo. just recently rewatched Busy Bodies, The Music Box and Laughing Gravy (the 2reeler). must get The Laurel & Hardy Murder Case (easily in my top 5 L&H'ers)

The L & H Murder Case is a classic. Still one of the most watched in my house. :)

Splatterdragon73 14th October 2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 188682)
Ollie and his knowing glances to the audience are wonderul touches from a medium when the actors normally go out of their way to stay distanced from the audience.

This is definitely one of the best attributes of Hardy and the way he interacts with the audience with one of his looks to the viewer is always good for a laugh.:nod:

Splatterdragon73 14th October 2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 188726)
The L & H Murder Case is a classic. Still one of the most watched in my house. :)

An absolute side-splitter no doubt about it. From the "Oliver, are you really going?" moment to the Bat-in-the-bed scene.:lol:

Just thinking of the part in The Sons Of The Desert when Ollie is feeling ill and Stan calls for a Doctor. An animal Doctor that is!

Hardy: "Now why did you wanna hire a Veterinarian for?"
Laurel: "Well, i didn't think his religion would make any difference!" :lol:

Splatterdragon73 17th January 2013 05:49 AM

For any members here interested in acquiring the L&H 'suitcase' set it may be worth checking out your nearest HMV. Last Saturday Gateshead's branch had this collection on sale for £22.50 due to the company's current 25% off marked price promo.

A very nice result imo considering this release was originally priced at £100.00 then reduced to £30.00. The above outlet had a pile of these sets all with a blue 'X' sticker denoting the £25% off deal and when i took my copy to the till the sales assistant scanned said release through at £30.00. I subsequently pointed out my purchase was part of the promo and therefore eligible for the 25% off discount to which the employee replied "This shouldn't be part of it as it's a sale item.". Still, she offset the relevant deduction and i was most pleased with such a bargain as i'd been after this set for a good while but kept on delaying buying it. I'm glad i held out now considering the saving i made!;)

antmumford 17th January 2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 313331)
For any members here interested in acquiring the L&H 'suitcase' set it may be worth checking out your nearest HMV. Last Saturday Gateshead's branch had this collection on sale for £22.50 due to the company's current 25% off marked price promo.

A very nice result imo considering this release was originally priced at £100.00 then reduced to £30.00. The above outlet had a pile of these sets all with a blue 'X' sticker denoting the £25% off deal and when i took my copy to the till the sales assistant scanned said release through at £30.00. I subsequently pointed out my purchase was part of the promo and therefore eligible for the 25% off discount to which the employee replied "This shouldn't be part of it as it's a sale item.". Still, she offset the relevant deduction and i was most pleased with such a bargain as i'd been after this set for a good while but kept on delaying buying it. I'm glad i held out now considering the saving i made!;)

Good spot, I've only seen 1 or 2 of their films and I've always wanted to have that set. Will have to check my local although I'm still peeved that I have £60 in vouchers to use but can't

Dave Boy 20th January 2013 05:02 PM

I have the 21 disc collection. Fantastic !

Just off the top of my head, two scenes that are laugh out loud funny...

Our Wife... James finlayson steps on the sweeper at the top of the stairs !
Chickens Come Home... Mrs Hardy and butler James Finlayson can't believe their eyes as Stan and Ollie try to sneak Ollie's old girlfriend out the door !

Susan Foreman 20th January 2013 05:47 PM

"Excuse me, my ear is full of milk"

"Lots of weather we've been having lately"

Dave Boy 20th January 2013 06:30 PM

Thicker Than Water

Mrs. Hardy: "Oliver did I or did I not give you the money to pay on the furniture?"
Ollie: "You certainly did"
Mrs. Hardy: "Then why wasn't it paid?"
Ollie: "Why, I gave it to him (points to Stan) to pay it for me"
Mrs. Hardy (to Stan): "Then what did you do with it?"
Stan: "I gave it back to him"
Ollie: "You gave it to me?"
Stan: "Yeah I gave it to you to pay my room and board then you gave it to her, recomember?"
Mrs. Hardy: "Do you mean to say that the money that he gave to you that you gave to him that he gave to me, was the same money that I gave to him to pay him?"
Stan: "Well if that was the money that you gave to him to give to me to pay to him, it must have been the money that I gave him to give to you to pay my rent - didn't I?"

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th January 2013 06:34 PM

I didn't know there was a Laurel and Hardy thread.

As Pete says on the first page, Way Out West is his favourite, its also mine too. The dance the duo do is absolutely priceless.

One of the greatest scenes in cinema history.

As for an episode that hasn't been mentioned yet. Oliver the Eighth is brilliant, funny and when i originally saw it, incredibly scary.

They used to show episodes on BBC2 weeknights at around 5.30 in the early eighties. Harold Lloyd and others as well.

Susan Foreman 21st January 2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 314291)
As for an episode that hasn't been mentioned yet. Oliver the Eighth is brilliant, funny and when i originally saw it, incredibly scary.

Agreed it a good one, but

SPOILER

It's ruined by a real cop-out ending. "I just had a terrible dream." It should have ended with the widow entering the room, Stan breaking out of the closet (no homosexual innuendo intended), Ollie waking up, and the two of them running away, in traditional (and bumbling) Laurel and Hardy style!