Old 22nd August 2015, 07:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

Thanks for the blu ray info...

Old 22nd August 2015, 07:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Thanks for the blu ray info...

so kay,I re watched it today and its a very nice print,it be nice to think that maybe the rest may get restored but I think the Hal Roach films would need alot of work,and since there's no CGI or superheroes involved Im not sure that would ever happen like.
Dave Boy likes this.

Old 22nd August 2015, 09:29 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
There's also a restored DVD version from Network as well.

Attachment 169105
I honestly can't remember the film. Is it any good?
Old 22nd August 2015, 10:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I honestly can't remember the film. Is it any good?
Yes The Flying Deuces is very good,although not up there with the Hal Roach period it is certainly beter than much of there latter films.
Wiki
Quote:
As Laurel and Hardy did not have an exclusive contract with Hal Roach, they were able to appear in films for studios other than his as they pleased. A remake of Beau Hunks, The Flying Deuces was released by RKO Radio Pictures and was made by independent producer Boris Morros.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 22nd August 2015, 10:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Yes The Flying Deuces is very good,although not up there with the Hal Roach period it is certainly beter than much of there latter films.
Wiki
I hope it's better than Utopia which is terrible.
Old 22nd August 2015, 10:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I hope it's better than Utopia which is terrible.
Yes alot better,this is 1939 so there still in there prime Atoll K/Utopia (1951)was a sad way to end there career on.

Old 7th December 2015, 07:02 AM
Cult Master

Here is a scene from a long lost Laurel and Hardy film which has been re-discovered...probably!

Stan: Do you know what really annoys me, Ollie?
Oliver: No Stanley. What?
Stan: It really annoys me when I get one of our DVD's out of the box, pick what I want to watch, and then have to change the settings on my television to view it in black and white, as it should be seen
Oliver: Well, why don't you choose the original black and white version pf the film?
Stan: Because we are now in the 21st century, and people want to watch films in colour
[Ollie looks at the camera, unamused]
Oliver: Hmph
James Finlayson: D'oh!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic526a - colour landh.jpg (95.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg pic526b - colour james finlayson.jpg (32.2 KB, 5 views)

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 3rd November 2016, 06:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Laughing Gravy (04 April 1931)

Laughing Gravy (04 April 1931)

laughing_gravy__title_card_.jpg

laughing_gravy_-_opening_intertitles.jpg

Its a snowy landscape,but Stan and Ollie are all warm and cosy in bed,while outside the snow keeps coming,every thing is fine until Stan gets the hiccups and not only wakes Ollie up but poor old Laughing Gravy as well.Of course being a Laurel and Hardy film nothing is that simple,especially when there landlord is hard put upon Charlie Hall,obviously having Stan and Ollie as tenants is enough to derive any one mad.Then again I kind of feel sorry for Laughing Gravy,the poor pooch is not only turfed out of the house into the cold but also manages to get himself on the roof of the house,clever dog manages to climb up the inside of the chimney.Also incredibly Gravy seems to have a rather bushy black moustache.Laughing Gravy is a classic film,but its not chock full of gags,but it is very nicely paced film,with plenty of stand out moments,see Ollie impersonate Gravy in the flower bushes only to get a flower pot thrown at him,at first he cries in agony.then he instantly remembers he is supposed to be a dog and starts yelping.And it also has a great moment of pathos,Stan receives a letter telling him he has to leave Ollie if he wants to inherit a $1000,obviously Stan is stricken,he with holds the letter from Ollie,which leads to Ollie tormenting Stan with a song.Eventually Stan caves in and lets Ollie read the note,to say that Ollie is crest fallen would be an understatement.its a nice moment when Ollie realises its been him holding Stan back,not the other way around,as he had assumed so may times,sad and rather touching,While the boys are as usual excellent , Laughing Gravy the dog deserves a big mention,he looks completely non-plussed by all the antics also the great Charlie Hall,is also fantastic,he really is put through the ringer by the duo and there dog,and is very funny throughout the film.

Old 5th November 2016, 05:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Dirty Work (1933)

Dirty Work (1933)
Professor Noodle is a mad scientist,but even mad scientists need there chimney swept every now and again.Who is that knocking on the door? Mr. Laurel and Mr. Hardy.chimney sweeps for hire,when asking where they might find the fireplace,Jessup the butler helpfully suggests "in that room, you'll find it standing against the wall" .since there is no Charlie Hall or James Finlayson,to torment them in this short film its left to Jessop the butler,who is mildly sarcastic to say the least. Dirty Work has all your usual Laurel and Hardy film requisite's,bricks falling on Ollie's head,Stan shovelling soot into Ollie's trousers,Ollie falling off the roof of the house and straight through the top of a greenhouse.Also this has the rather immortal line from Ollie "I have nothing to say",whenever he is indignant or just rather irritated by something Stan has done to him,which is quite a lot.This line will end the film also as Ollie suffers even more at the hands of Stan,although you wonder if anything could be worse than sticking your sweeping brush on the end of a shotgun,luckily Ollie ducks,although later on even more bricks will be finding there way onto Oliver's head. Prof Noodle who is a mad scientist (is there any other?) is working on potion to make people younger,this also works on ducks to,as he shows the duo his solution in action and turns a duckling into an egg.Well when you got a massive tank of water and Stan and Ollie in the same room it goes without saying someones in trouble.Unfortunately for Ollie,it is he who gets pushed into the tank of water,the end result being a chimp in a bowler hat. Strangely what I find fascinating about this film is the amount of soot and dirt they generate,and by the end of it they are caked in the stuff,plus some marvellous sound effects whenever a brick or shovel is hit over the duo's heads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dirty_work__title_card_.jpg (45.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Laurel & Hardy (Dirty Work.jpg (89.5 KB, 1 views)

Old 5th November 2016, 05:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

You are on a roll with classic Laurel and Hardy, Inspector.

Like this? Share it using the links below!